Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem? This seems pretty significant.

6.16.06- picked up car after work.

6.17.06- went for drive with top down. Got out to go hiking, raised and secured the top. Noticed that on passenger side that where the top is supposed to meet at the back of the passenger window did not connect. It was apparent that the little "tooth" was not fitting into the slot. Could not get it to fit but went for the hike anyway. The gap appeared to be minimal and could be worked on later. Upon returning from the hike when trying to put the top down the top would not collapse properly in the trunk. The top was getting hung up on the passenger side rear-wheel-well. After several tries it finally went in.

6.18.06 - While driving with the top up it became very apparent that the gap on the passenger side where the top is supposed to meet the rear window was more than a little substantial. The window noise was significant. The gap was more than little and immediate concern was "what will I do if it rains?"

6.19.06 - Called and spoke to Sara at Saturn Concord and she connected me to service. Set appointment for Saturday June 24.

6.24.06 - Took car to Saturn Concord. Showed and explained the situation. Went to get coffee. Upon return was told problem was fixed and that it was because the top was hitting the rear wind deflector. Upon inspection by me I noticed that the problem while was not corrected. Went back to service department and waited about an 45 minutes. Frank the service manager came and spoke to me. He said that the issue was related to a small bar in the hood that is currently made of plastic and that it is not working properly. He said it was fixed but recommended that when taking the top down to do it from the passenger side. He also said he needed to repaint the little silver flap because it had gotten scratched in the process. Upon inpection of the car it looked as if the situation was resolved. Upon releasing the roof/trunk to test and put the top down/up it was apparent that the problem still persisted. It was also noticed at this point that the top was rubbing against the passenger side rear wheel well again. I asked Frank to look at it again and he did. He said he will order a new metal rod as well as a new flap that had been scratched and that pieces would be in on Monday. I explained that it would be Saturday before I can get back over to Concord.

6.26.06 - Noticed that the gap appears to be very big. In fact I can actually put my hand through it and unlock the passenger door. Now my concerns are:

1. Not attaching at all which is unaccpetable in my opinion.
2. Increased and excessive wind noise
3. Cold/hot air blowing into car while driving affecting comfort of inside cabin.
4. Possibe leak if in the rain.
5. Security issue because someone can stick their hand in and unlock the passenger door.

I have attached a few pics in case someone else has similar issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
duhricker said:
Hi,

6.17.06- went for drive with top down. Got out to go hiking, raised and secured the top. Noticed that on passenger side that where the top is supposed to meet at the back of the passenger window did not connect. It was apparent that the little "tooth" was not fitting into the slot. Could not get it to fit but went for the hike anyway. The gap appeared to be minimal and could be worked on later. Upon returning from the hike when trying to put the top down the top would not collapse properly in the trunk. The top was getting hung up on the passenger side rear-wheel-well. After several tries it finally went in.

6.18.06 - While driving with the top up it became very apparent that the gap on the passenger side where the top is supposed to meet the rear window was more than a little substantial. The window noise was significant. The gap was more than little and immediate concern was "what will I do if it rains?"

6.19.06 - Called and spoke to Sara at Saturn Concord and she connected me to service. Set appointment for Saturday June 24.

6.24.06 - Took car to Saturn Concord. Showed and explained the situation. Went to get coffee. Upon return was told problem was fixed and that it was because the top was hitting the rear wind deflector. Upon inspection by me I noticed that the problem while was not corrected. Went back to service department and waited about an 45 minutes. Frank the service manager came and spoke to me. He said that the issue was related to a small bar in the hood that is currently made of plastic and that it is not working properly. He said it was fixed but recommended that when taking the top down to do it from the passenger side. He also said he needed to repaint the little silver flap because it had gotten scratched in the process. Upon inpection of the car it looked as if the situation was resolved. Upon releasing the roof/trunk to test and put the top down/up it was apparent that the problem still persisted. It was also noticed at this point that the top was rubbing against the passenger side rear wheel well again. I asked Frank to look at it again and he did. He said he will order a new metal rod as well as a new flap that had been scratched and that pieces would be in on Monday. I explained that it would be Saturday before I can get back over to Concord.

6.26.06 - Noticed that the gap appears to be very big. In fact I can actually put my hand through it and unlock the passenger door. Now my concerns are:

3. Cold/hot air blowing into car while driving affecting comfort of inside cabin.
5. Security issue because someone can stick their hand in and unlock the passenger door.

Good grief, you do have a problem there. My top fits perfect no gaps at all. Make them fix it as soon as possible. Call Saturn Corp if they don't take care of it. I hope your dealership does right by you, it's a shame to have to go through all this so soon after getting your Sky. Keep us posted, interested to see what the end result will be. Good luck.
T.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Like wise I have a good fit and you have a problem that your dealer should be notifying the engineers at the plant about.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is a new one, almost seems like something is not attached properly... was it in place correctly when you got the car was everything ok with it then?
I am sure they will fix the problem, It is a Saturn, and if you have had it less than 30 days or 3,000 miles you can take it back and they will order you a new one or refund your money...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Picture DO tell a story -- That is NOT normal...

Fix (permanently) or replace would become my mantra....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Wow, that does suck. I hope you get that fixed asap...:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I had the same problem, and roughly as severe. Problem was, it happened to me right at the begining of a weekend of heavy rains. I first went in to a dealer where a salesman showed me the plastic part and how he popped it back in. I already had an appointment to drop the car for CAI install and my paint issue, so I added this to the list.

Every time I raised the top before the car went in, the plastic thing popped out. When I went in for my appointment, the service manager explained that the tolerances were pretty tight, and though the plastic part may seem insufficient, it's really fine. Before working for Saturn, he spent several years working on Vettes and was very familiar with convertible tops and their operation. He oversaw a couple of hours of adjusting all the parts in the roof, and I'm pleased to say that the problem seems to be fixed. I've had the car back for 3 weeks now and put the top up several times a day without incident.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sw0l3n4t0r said:
seriously saturn will get you a new one? wow
Yes Saturn has the 30 day 3,000 mile return for any reason policy, even if you do not like the color you can take it back....

·
Registered
151 Posts
duhricker said:
Hi,

This is a more common problem than you think. There is at least one other thread concerning the same thing. The Sky that I test drove at my dealership also had this problem. They told me it is from the top not being raised/lowered by pulling from the middle of the top. I think that's a load of crap, but that is what their Saturn rep told them. Regardless, I feel confident that my dealership will take care of it if it happens to me. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep...I had the same problem with mine...on the driver's side. Took it in and it's fixed now! Took them awhile to fix, but it's done right. They ordered the new rod and replaced it. Now it goes down correctly and doesn't get hung up on the wheel well. Just be persistent and make sure they get it done right. Most Saturn techs probably haven't had to deal with convertible tops before.

Here are some before pix.

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
WOW.... i would think they would have caught that BEFORE YOU TOOK DELIVERY... ouchy.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
669 Posts
SkyTech said:
Do you guys know the exact part that they replaced so i can research it and find the root cause.
According to my service receipt it was part #19120245 Frame Asm
Replaced left side folding top side rail assembly.
The side rail pivot link came apart.

Actually only took him .80 hours to repair.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Qwack that .80 time is book time it might have taken him longer or shorter to do the job, but he only gets .80 hours pay for it. Skip....old maniac mechanic from yester year.....:lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow!!! This board is awesome! Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support. I actually spoke to them today since I was in the neighborhood and their technician was not familiar with it. I was hoping to pop in at the end of the day and see if it could be fixed quickly, but since they have not had this issue pop up yet, he wasn't sure how long it will take. I have to take it in on Saturday now. Unfortunately I live in San Francisco but my dealer is about 30 miles away. I guess its a good thing I like driving :)

Thanks again everyone. I will try to repay the Forum Karma as I learn more about the issue or hear other things.

Ya'll be kewl.

Duhricker

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well i had to deal with my first issue with the top today. After 3 hours of tinkering i found the lower section of the roof frame bent. I sourced the problem to improper raising and lowering of the roof. Remember ALWAYS pull up from the middle and never ever from the sides. Do Not slam the roof into the trunk as well. This puts too much stress on the frame and hinges. Just working on this one car wore me out. So all in all the customer has a new roof on order.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on fixing my top....

So I got a call from Saturn on Thursday to let me know the part was in so I made an appointment for Saturday July 1.

Well after waiting for 2 hours I went to ask for an update and the service manager asked me to step back into the work area. He showed me that the part they received was for the wrong side, it was for the driver side and my issue is on the passenger side.

Needless to say I was miffed about a few things:

1. The wrong part was sent.
2. They waited two hours before they told me this.
3. They said they tried to manipulate the piece but could not get it to work. Even this made me frustrated, suppose it had worked and I would have never known.
4. I live an hour away from the dealership so this wasted my Saturday.
5. I will now have to go to the Saturn dealership again on Saturday July 8.

Ugghhhh....

I did manage to keep my cool. I did not yell, get angry or appear frustrated to the team. I wanted to take my time and think about how to approach this.

Trust me, I understand that this is a first version of a car and because of that there are going to be issues. My concern is that the incompentancy of the service department is a littleannoying.

Should I go to the GM of the dealership?
Should I ask them to pay for a tank of gas?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts