Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Ernest said:
Unconfirmed sources tell me it takes 1 day for a SKY to be built, from begining to end, and the plant is in fact runiing three shifts around the clock.
Any input?
Iffen my ciferin is right it means 24 autos a day. How many are Sky's only HE nows and wont tell. Skip..:banghead: :nono:

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
Figures Don't Lie

If it takes one day to build one SKY...then no one will get one...better recalculate....now u know why GM is losing money.

Is everyone stupid here..

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
marlboromike said:
If it takes one day to build one SKY...then no one will get one...better recalculate....now u know why GM is losing money.

Is everyone stupid here..
:nono: :nono:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, but don't think you have it in perspective. Think production line, many cars one rat after the other, one following another, wut do you think they build one all the way through before the next one starts? Gimme a break.:lol: :lol: :lol: You gotta be kiddin me!:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If I got my info right -- these are not on an assembly line per se.
Each car is assembled by a team (haw many people --> ??)
I have heard (reading an article about the assembly process - some 3-4 months ago) that it takes the team 4 hours to build a car - so 2 a shift.
How many teams times how many shifts = how many cars
Also -- how many Sols are still being built and laters how many Opels will be intermixed as well?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Let's do math....

No matter HOW they are built let's look at what it takes:
20000 - Soltice
10000 - SKY
30000 - Opels
These numbers are based upon articles I have read -- No real info beyond that.

That is 60000 cars a year - 667 a day (that is 7 days a week - 24/7). . .

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
No matter HOW they are built let's look at what it takes:
20000 - Soltice
10000 - SKY
30000 - Opels
These numbers are based upon articles I have read -- No real info beyond that.

That is 60000 cars a year - 667 a day (that is 7 days a week - 24/7). . .
that is 3,000 opels not 30,000, there is no way they can build that many with the facilities they have in place right now....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
that is 3,000 opels not 30,000, there is no way they can build that many with the facilities they have in place right now....
I wonder about that number -- sure 3000 is more managable - but you don't think they would MFG 30000 for all of europe?
It has been so long since I read the article though -- you could be right.

So 33000 cars would make it about 90-95 cars a day ----

·
Registered
554 Posts
All 440 first run Sky cars will be built very soon. How many past the inspections is truely up in the air. What is for sure, not one Sky car will be shipped until all 440 first run cars have pasted. Sorry :-(

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your right, but who is to say that the west coast dealer demos have been passed and given the distance and means of shipping required to get them there, wouldn't it be a realistic assumption that they are fixing to ship? March 21st is only three weeks away right? If in fact they plan to have them at all dealers to be available on the same date, shipping has to be within the week, theoritically speaking,. of course. I will get mine whenever, but all this speculation is very entertaining, don't you agree?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ernest said:
Your right, but who is to say that the west coast dealer demos have been passed and given the distance and means of shipping required to get them there, wouldn't it be a realistic assumption that they are fixing to ship? March 21st is only three weeks away right? If in fact they plan to have them at all dealers to be available on the same date, shipping has to be within the week, theoritically speaking,. of course. I will get mine whenever, but all this speculation is very entertaining, don't you agree?
I think my Ride is on the way! (no matter what you say).......[poet]

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
If I got my info right -- these are not on an assembly line per se.
Each car is assembled by a team (haw many people --> ??)
I have heard (reading an article about the assembly process - some 3-4 months ago) that it takes the team 4 hours to build a car - so 2 a shift.
How many teams times how many shifts = how many cars
Also -- how many Sols are still being built and laters how many Opels will be intermixed as well?
Just correcting - these cars ARE built on an assembly line, albiet a much smaller assembly line with much fewer stations than a normal production line.

The "team crafted" rumor surfaced a while ago, but is simply an untruth or carry-over information from back in the "Reatta" days, where there was an "approximation" of this team approach done in Lansing, MI.

The other major difference is the "time" in "station". A typical carline has about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes to get the work in each station done before the car is moving on down the line.

In fact, that's roughly how fast Wilmington USED to run when it made Berettas and Corsicas. Now, a car is "in station" for about 7 minutes - which allows a lot more work to be done on the car in a smaller space.

It supposedly takes between 25 to 35 HOURS to make each car from the beginning to the end of the assembly line. That's from parts flowing in to start the body subassembly to rolling off the end of the final inspection line.

I have no idea where the rumor of "4 hours" came from.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I wonder about that number -- sure 3000 is more managable - but you don't think they would MFG 30000 for all of europe?
It has been so long since I read the article though -- you could be right.

So 33000 cars would make it about 90-95 cars a day ----
all the figures i have read were 3,000 for opel... don't you think they would rather build more solstices and skys than opels? the US market is much larger than europe....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
KappaMan said:
Just correcting - these cars ARE built on an assembly line, albiet a much smaller assembly line with much fewer stations than a normal production line.

The "team crafted" rumor surfaced a while ago, but is simply an untruth or carry-over information from back in the "Reatta" days, where there was an "approximation" of this team approach done in Lansing, MI.

The other major difference is the "time" in "station". A typical carline has about 1 minute to 1.5 minutes to get the work in each station done before the car is moving on down the line.

In fact, that's roughly how fast Wilmington USED to run when it made Berettas and Corsicas. Now, a car is "in station" for about 7 minutes - which allows a lot more work to be done on the car in a smaller space.

It supposedly takes between 25 to 35 HOURS to make each car from the beginning to the end of the assembly line. That's from parts flowing in to start the body subassembly to rolling off the end of the final inspection line.

I have no idea where the rumor of "4 hours" came from.
Thank you for the corrections --
Since your info has been extremely reliable in the past -- this is now my story (and I'm sticking with it...):thumbs:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Skip said:
Iffen my ciferin is right it means 24 autos a day. How many are Sky's only HE nows and wont tell. Skip..:banghead: :nono:
There seems to be some undisclosed variables involved in your ciferin. Please explain how you cifer 24 autos per day from the given information that it takes 1 day to build a car and there are three shifts running each day. Perhaps not everyone here is stupid, but I am. :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
ggccg said:
There seems to be some undisclosed variables involved in your ciferin. Please explain how you cifer 24 autos per day from the given information that it takes 1 day to build a car and there are three shifts running each day. Perhaps not everyone here is stupid, but I am. :)
Them dad blamed government schools. What can I say . I was eyeing the pretty girl to my left when they had ciforin in shool. Skip...:jester: :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts