Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
Legally....it is a conditional gift....if any of you decide not to go through with the marriage...it goes back to the purchaser/
I think that depends on who breaks off the relationship. An engagement ring is given as security for the proposal, and the recipient gets to keep it as a form of liquidated damages if the giver backs out. I suspect that an engagement car would work the same way, although it would be a bit stickier if it is registered in the giver's name.

·
Registered
18,029 Posts
I think that depends on who breaks off the relationship. An engagement ring is given as security for the proposal, and the recipient gets to keep it as a form of liquidated damages if the giver backs out. I suspect that an engagement car would work the same way, although it would be a bit stickier if it is registered in the giver's name.
NO! Conditional means either party. Once the I do is said...it is hers....as the ring.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In Ohio, this is specifically addressed by the Courts which decided that "where a gift is given with a mutual understanding that the parties would be married and the gift would benefit the marriage, then if the parties do not marry, unjust enrichment requires the gift be returned." Accordingly, any gift given in contemplation of marriage must be returned under unjust enrichment principals if the engagement is broken off. The big caveat here is that the gift must benefit the marriage, which means that it must benefit the relationship in the future, not just right now or not just during the engagement period. This would tend to rule out smaller or more trivial gifts and include bigger, more permanent or longer lasting gifts, like furniture, appliances, vehicle, a new house, etc. Not that I would suggest moving to Ohio, but if you plan on giving a car as an engagement present, you might want to consider it!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Tatoo grl ~ "Did you get a pre-purchase inspection?"

Narrator dude ~ "I did the pre-purchase inspection."

(He was smart to not get her a Redline.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Reminds me of when my girlfriend proposed with the promise of a new Jag F-type convertible. She owned a Solstice once and wants my Sky. In effect, she'd give me the Jag and would end up driving my Sky. She's impulsive so I'm lucky she didn't just present the thing to me. I'd have had more difficulty turning her down (for now).

Legally....it is a conditional gift....if any of you decide not to go through with the marriage...it goes back to the purchaser/
I watched one of those "Judge" TV shows where a bride called off a wedding and wouldn't return the ring. Her boyfriend sued and she was shocked when the judge ruled "The ring is given in consideration of marriage" and must be returned. She then defended with "but I already sold it and spent the money!" WOW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts