Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting soooo many looks everywhere I go in my new baby. What about yours? If you have received your SKY, how are people reacting to it? Any accidents caused??:lol: (jk-hope not, but I've heard some squealing tires and drivers tend to weave as they pass me, trying to get a better look at my SKY) How have there past few days been? I think we all (inquiring minds that we are) would like to know!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
well with my solstice, people are insane. They cut others off on the highways just to catch up and see what the heck it is. I like watching people though. There jaw literally drops.

...Its all part of owning nice cars.

2006 Sly Solstice -VIN #1715
loaded
owner-18 yrs old

·
Registered
87 Posts
Onlookers

I hate how people have been looking at me while driving my Sky. I have to wave at everybody and honk....I would rather have the time devoted to driving instead of all this PR!!! ha,ha,ha, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! :driving:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Despite having had my Solstice for 5 months, I'm a bit jealous of you new Sky owners. You are getting your Skys just in time for the Spring driving season, while I've been waiting to drive mine like he's meant to be driven, top down, for the whole winter.

Enjoy them, and all the crazies out there you're going to encounter for the next couple of years. :cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Hmmm.... Must be nice. You are at the next level now. It's were we all want to be.

NCBlue please keep up the great posts.:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Driving down to Corpus to visit my brother this weekend my wife and I see a small convertible up ahead with that distinct rear styling, and I told her, "That had better not be a Sky or I will be p!$$&d!" It was a Solstice. :lol:

Can't wait until it is my Sky and folks are trying to catch me to see what it is! :cool:

·
Registered
326 Posts
SolWhat? said:
Despite having had my Solstice for 5 months, I'm a bit jealous of you new Sky owners. You are getting your Skys just in time for the Spring driving season, while I've been waiting to drive mine like he's meant to be driven, top down, for the whole winter.

Enjoy them, and all the crazies out there you're going to encounter for the next couple of years. :cool:
Dont worry about it, down here in Texas (AKA: Hells Kitchen) we dont normally have spring, it just goes straight from winter to summer 100 F and 80 - 90% humidity.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hey fellow Texans! Ernest here from the Metroplex, we all need to stasrt thinking about a central meeting spot for our First Annual Lone Star
State SKY 'n!:thumbs: Anyone that is good at organizing jump rat in and take over:D Please contact me when VIN are recieved so we can compare. I am almost certain the 2 demos at the Hurst & Ft Worth dealerships are lower VINs than mine because they were shipped out 4 days prior to mine being shipped. Of course there are people here aren't members of this forum so we can't get the actual information, but this is just for us family members. .:thumbs: :cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
twirp said:
Dont worry about it, down here in Texas (AKA: Hells Kitchen) we dont normally have spring, it just goes straight from winter to summer 100 F and 80 - 90% humidity.
You know that's right! It does tend to get a bit steamy round these parts! :mad:

That's just me burning up in the heat and humidity! :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
in 1991 when we bought our new Saturn SL, it was a ton of fun driving it as people were always waving at you, or trying to figure out what kind of car it was. You also felt really cool- even waved to the Saturn haulers when you saw them, and they would honk and wave back.
I AM SO GLAD THOSE DAYS ARE BACK! You just know the waves and envy are going to be there when your in your SKY, especially since the SKY is soooo much nicer than the old SL's!
Have fun, and keep YOUR eyes on the road- don't want any of those wanna be Sky owners bump into you.

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The other day, I was driving in 5:00 traffic and noticed a new red Corvette convertible behind me. I had my top down, as it was a great sunny day. He followed me for a while, then when we stopped at a light, I noticed that he hit his "top down" button too. Convertibles are contagious!
I stopped at the auto parts store and was looking for some Raggtopp protectant (but they didn't have any), and a guy sitting in a truck had parked beside me. "Beautiful car!-I haven't seen them advertised," he said, and, of course, I had to explain the whole process. Not that I minded!:D
Then, going through the drive-thru, the guy handed me my drink, then saw my car, and flung open both of the little windows to look at my Sky. He was a fellow Saturn owner (98 SC2) and told me to come by more often so he could see my car! Maybe if they make me a deal for free food-I;ll be by everyday:lol: :D
Of course, I'll use any excuse to drive somewhere:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
traffic hazard

A guy was following my Sky yesterday and I could see him straining to see what it was. Finally he decided to pull alongside for a look and in the process almost ran over a pretty young lady in a Miata. Fortunately he missed her, but she was visibly rattled by the near miss. He never noticed she was there, even as he pulled alongside for a long glance that continued through his rearview as he passed:driving: .

Anyway, the point is that this guy blew off a pretty gal in a Miata for an ugly guy in a Sky. Says something for the car, doesn't it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
twirp said:
At least you have the humidity, we have a dry heat, and boy does it heat up here. Avg summer temp in the 100's. And yes I hate it. But the good part is, only last about 3 to 4 months, then when everyone back east is sholvling snow, Im ridding my motorcycle, or now will be my baby... I guess you gotta give a little to get alot..... :thumbs:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Some people yell and scream and wave and some people look and pretend they're not. I love discussing my sky with interested people.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
agirltrucker said:
At least you have the humidity, we have a dry heat, and boy does it heat up here. Avg summer temp in the 100's. And yes I hate it. But the good part is, only last about 3 to 4 months, then when everyone back east is sholvling snow, Im ridding my motorcycle, or now will be my baby... I guess you gotta give a little to get alot..... :thumbs:
Actually, no humidity makes it feel cooler, even if the temp is hotter. Having humid air does not allow your sweat to evaporate, which is essential for cooling ones body.

100ish in AZ = 90 ,give or take a degree or two, in NY... kind of like the wind chill factor as well... even if it is really 10 degrees out, it could feel -20 on the skin if the wind is blowing hard enough.

I can't wait for my SKY... on my test drive of the demo, it was funny, all the cars we saw had older women and men in their 80's... and none took notice to the car. I think there might have been one or two truck drivers that glanced over... but all the others didn't notice... really odd. :confused:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I like the comments that really aren't intended for ME to hear... looking in the rear view mirror you can see people pointing at the car and exclaiming "DO YOU SEE THAT!?" or a car will turn by in front of me and the passenger's face will be come glued to the frontend of the Sky as their lips whimper "What is that?".

Driving down the highway I have seen several digital cameras snap shots from my rear view or as they pass by. Its actually takes a bit of getting used to -- cars come up and stay by your side not passing and at first you get frustrated as to why they won't let you over and then you notice the drool sliding down their windows and you get whats going on.

There seems to be only a few catagories of people in the world to me now:

1. 30% of people stop what they are doing and stare
2. 7% of people will give an approving nod, thumbs up, or comment
3. 1% of people will try to solicit conversation -- which is most common at red lights
4. 3% of people drop their groceries/infant/expensive vase and run to get a closer look
5. 40% of people don't notice, these are people that have to be told if their pants are on fire
6: 9% of them are devising a way to steal my car
7: 5% of people looked down at their roadster and went immediately home to cry
8. 5% follow me down roads I know they don't want to be on to get a better look (no joke)

Fun fun fun - no wonder im averaging 100 miles a day on this baby.

·
Registered
295 Posts
1994SC2 said:
3. 1% of people will try to solicit conversation -- which is most common at red lights.
You need a set of flashcards for this conversation, because they are probably all the same. Here is the dialogue for your flashcards and the order to hold them up to the other driver (even if you can only see his lips move and not hear what hes asking).

Card 1: "It's a Sky"

Card 2: "Yes, it's a Saturn."

Card 3: "No, it only cost about $25k"

Card 4: "I know, this car is trippin' right?"

Card 5: "No, it has a 4 cylinder, but it sure gets up and goes."

Card 6: "Yea, I know it looks like a $50k car :)"

Card 7: "They aren't advertised because the supply is so low right now."

Card 8: "Unfortunately, you probably would not get yours until at least this Fall."

Card 9: "I'm sorry if this car makes you jealous. The light is green, BTW."

·
Registered
517 Posts
It reminds me of when I drive the viper. that car is a 1993 and still gets looks. Once a lady called me at work and said all her 10 year old son wanted for his birthday was a ride in the red viper. You know the sky is like that too but once the market is flooded it wont always be that way.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
HotSky said:
It reminds me of when I drive the viper. that car is a 1993 and still gets looks. Once a lady called me at work and said all her 10 year old son wanted for his birthday was a ride in the red viper. You know the sky is like that too but once the market is flooded it wont always be that way.
At less than 10000 cars a year -- I don't think you'll see a flood...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts