Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 Saturn Sky Roadster,
Seller description garage kept, great condition 66000 miles, absolutely no issues
My question. As a senior lady I just want it as a toy. How do I know it is in perfect condition under the hood. What about flood issues since we live in Florida.
Any advice you can give me? 8500. Seems to be a fair price and from photos posted I dont see any body damage.
Since they have been discontinued are parts still available? I sure dont want to purchase a disposable car
Thanks in advance
Delane

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Delane! On the Forum there are many knowledgeable people that can advise you. I would start with checking the CarFax, having a knowledgeable mechanic go over it, if possible getting the maintenance records from the seller. Parts are available, some new, some used and some expensive.
I’m confident many more knowledgeable members will welcome and advise you.
I purchased/traded for an 08 Sky NA last year that had under 17,000 miles on it, so relative to the forum members, I’m still wet behind the ears 👂 as a Sky owner.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
When buying a used car...even with a mechanic, it is a crapshoot. It is a fair price and parts are available but not all depending on the part. Remember, it is a GM car. This car was designed well but made cheap. Where are u in Florida? I am in Bonita Springs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When buying a used car...even with a mechanic, it is a crapshoot. It is a fair price and parts are available but not all depending on the part. Remember, it is a GM car. This car was designed well but made cheap. Where are u in Florida? I am in Bonita Springs.
[/QU

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advise. I am just scared to take the leap. Im in Jacksonville

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for taking time to advise me. Im just afraid to take the leap due to not knowing anything about buying a used car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is it a base model or Redline? My advice would be to drive it, and see if it’s something you want in the first place. Take someone with you who is familiar with what to look for in a used car. Don’t think you can get hurt much at that price If down the road you have a change of heart.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
And hopefully if u do purchase this car...u have the strength to take down/up the convertible top....this is not push button. It is manual.
In your area u do have a large Sky/Solstice group who go out each month on trips. A store house of information.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you for taking time to advise me. Im just afraid to take the leap due to not knowing anything about buying a used car.
I understand about the Risk/Reward concerns. Use the search function of the forum to do some exploring. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of the Sky is readily available.
Our Sky is just a fair weather Sunday cruiser, limited room in the cockpit and a trunk that has very limited functionality. However, I’ve never owned a car that gives more Smiles per Mile (Permagrin).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is nothing in the post about it being a redline so I am assuming it is a base.
The post reads
2008 Saturn Sky Roadster pristine condition, garage kept, 66000 miles 8500.00. Red exterior two toned interior
Not a lot to go on and she hasn't responded to my post

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
I understand about the Risk/Reward concerns. Use the search function of the forum to do some exploring. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of the Sky is readily available.
Our Sky is just a fair weather Sunday cruiser, limited room in the cockpit and a trunk that has very limited functionality. However, I’ve never owned a car that gives more Smiles per Mile (Permagrin).
I like that phrase...Smiles per Mile. I will use it in the future...with your permission and authority. LOL. That can be put on a license plate or windrestrictor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And hopefully if u do purchase this car...u have the strength to take down/up the convertible top....this is not push button. It is manual.
In your area u do have a large Sky/Solstice group who go out each month on trips. A store house of information.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There is nothing in the post about it being a redline so I am assuming it is a base.
The post reads
2008 Saturn Sky Roadster pristine condition, garage kept, 66000 miles 8500.00. Red exterior two toned interior
Be patient, if they don’t respond it’s not the only Sky, they made over 30,000 of them. It sounds like you’ve been “Skybitten”! Skybite isn’t fatal, although symptoms may include copious amounts of money 💰 spent to fuel the addiction.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Overall the price is not bad considering today's used car market. It's maybe a little high for a base model, but considering a dealership is asking $8500/, it's not too bad.
According to KBB, an average dealer price on a base model with automatic and 66,000 miles is $11,188.00 to $14,110.00 the average dealer selling price is $13,038.00 currently. In my humble opinion in today’s market $8,500.00 is well bought if the description is correct.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Most of the body panels and many parts of the convertible top are hard to come by.

For core body parts you're good on most parts of the engine and the catalytic converter.

For turbo parts - I'm not sure. There might be concerns - espeecially if you're on a budget.

If you plan on keeping the car parked outdoors all the time - considering the Florida weather - there's a risk the convertible top will fade.

At 8,500 - if you were to keep the car for two years and sell it - you'll still be able to get 5,500 out of it.

I love my car, it's solid and it's reliable.

But for 8,500 there are many nice cars out there that would be nice to have.

For me it was the right choice because of the way I drive - and because I like the styling.

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
The post reads
Unless you need the thrill of acceleration the base model is a good choice as it handles just as well and is more reliable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts