Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not a bad price for a base model Sky..
IF it is in fact in "pristine condition" as stated by the seller?
Smitten by the sexy look to our gem is the first hump to get
over when considering spending your money for a weekend
fun car. You won't be disappointed if you do buy this car.

The are other Sky's out there for sale- but.. this is the prime
driving season for a convertible- they do command a higher price range
sometimes when dealing with a private seller-especially a dealer.
You might be able to talk with the seller for slightly lower price?
Depends on how motivated the seller really is to part with the Sky.

@ 66K I would ask or check the Car-Fax/dealer records for service
done so far by the seller. Sight unseen-without visual inspection or
test drive for a used car is the key here. There are many things to
look for in our gem-for the prospective buyer.

Somewhere in here is Rob the Elder's top 25 things to look for when purchasing our car.
Yes this is a leap of faith on your part- for an out of production model weekend car.
Impractical, limited trunk space-when the top is folded away.
However it is a GM product here- it can be serviced at any local Chevy dealer.
Mine just spend 2 days at the dealers for a 50k service visit.
Another 2 days at the Body Shop for a new windshield.

It can be at times- expensive to repair in some cases. Having a working fund for this
exact purpose after purchase. Check with your insurance company too- as to
what rate they will charge for this 2nd car added to your policy.

IF... this one gets away from you- there are models for sale on the interwebs.
Keep checking the listings in your area for models that might appear.
If they are close enough for a test drive- do so with an outside observer friend
as your co-pilot. I liken this car to a jet fighter F-16 cockpit experience.

The pre-flight anticipation nerves before inserting the key.
The rumble of the afterburner-err exhaust tone taxing to the catapult.
The cat shot thrill- gas pedal pressure into the wild blue yonder of asphalt road trip adventures.
The journey to the objective or horizon which ever comes first.
Then is when it gets interesting for you when that twisty section of roadway
presents itself to you.
Oh My .. look at this? ACM- the name I have given to my SKY.
Asphalt Combat Maneuvering when alone or when dealing with the masses.
The satisfaction of the smile on your face of Mission Accomplished for the day & me.
IT will make you feel younger- maybe look younger also-to your family, friends
co-workers- envy of your neighbors. The attention factor it receives IS real- be
prepared for this- stop lights, gas station purchases-
these new shoes are on sale now shopping adventures trips to your c/c?

Then the Thrill is Gone-
an old BB King tune as you land it safely at home base and park it for now.
Take a test drive to convince yourself this money purchase of yours was worth it
to you in the long run.
You won't be disappointed I wouldn't steer you wrong here.
IT will sell itself to you-worked for me.

The forum- has many knowledgeable owners here to help with your with questions & their experiences of owner/operator thereof- to guide you forward should you decide to pull the trigger on this one for sale.

They have helped me in many cases when I had no clue in my new ownership first few days.
It continues to this day here among our group. I too was hesitant to buy at first- an out of production model- parts & service- what did the original owner do or not do to this car when I bought this car many years ago?

I'm still smiling that silly grin we all have plastered on our faces every time we fire up
our gem and go for a drive.
The Day trip- an over night weekend adventure to a destination unknown.
Cars & Coffee- the local clubs of owners doing a Run/Meet in your area is another chance for knowledge and fun for you... about this unknown gem in the auto world.

I just had a couple yesterday ask me-
Hey Buddy what IS that car your driving... at a car show no less?
I told them- they raised an eyebrow.
You don't say- hmm a Saturn- I didn't think they made such a cool looking car.

Well proof is in the pudding as I explained to them what this car is all about. They were impressed as I strolled into the car show. IT got many looks and comments as I left.
There are not.. many cars out there that do look like this one. That alone speaks volumes among the masses to the plain jane look of cars today.
One owner told me- new cars today don't have that classic look style & feel when compared to the stamped pressed look many cars have today for consumer purchases.

Computers for everything to make your life easier, a more comfortable driving experience and
control... over you the owner. Sometime Less is More- keep it simple.

IF you need further convincing to yourself about this car-
visited my You-Tube channel: LAC Films.
Many vids- in different road trip adventures for me over the years.
Slow and easy cruise on lazy afternoon day or... just recently some high speed adventures to get your blood flowing.
Posting 2 new Runs today that I just completed yesterday.
Take a spin with me first- then go take a spin for yourself in real time.

Base models will be more reliable in the long run for your expense lay out after purchase.
The RL Turbo model can be a life changing event for some unsuspecting drivers.
They command a higher price above the base model price range- but they can be more
expensive to fix in some cases- not always but you never know on any given day what
new dent to your c/c will happen- don't ask me how I know this after the new windshield.

Sorry I typed to much again-
it's what I do when my passion over comes wisdom of choice when I typing about this car.
A curse for me to this day but... I wouldn't trade it for all the smiles this car has provided me over these last few years of ownership- you'll understand what I mean by this...
when you do own a SKY.

LAC

·
Registered
18,252 Posts
Not a bad price for a base model Sky..
IF it is in fact in "pristine condition" as stated by the seller?
Smitten by the sexy look to our gem is the first hump to get
over when considering spending your money for a weekend
fun car. You won't be disappointed if you do buy this car.

The are other Sky's out there for sale- but.. this is the prime
driving season for a convertible- they do command a higher price range
sometimes when dealing with a private seller-especially a dealer.
You might be able to talk with the seller for slightly lower price?
Depends on how motivated the seller really is to part with the Sky.

@ 66K I would ask or check the Car-Fax/dealer records for service
done so far by the seller. Sight unseen-without visual inspection or
test drive for a used car is the key here. There are many things to
look for in our gem-for the prospective buyer.

Somewhere in here is Rob the Elder's top 25 things to look for when purchasing our car.
Yes this is a leap of faith on your part- for an out of production model weekend car.
Impractical, limited trunk space-when the top is folded away.
However it is a GM product here- it can be serviced at any local Chevy dealer.
Mine just spend 2 days at the dealers for a 50k service visit.
Another 2 days at the Body Shop for a new windshield.

It can be at times- expensive to repair in some cases. Having a working fund for this
exact purpose after purchase. Check with your insurance company too- as to
what rate they will charge for this 2nd car added to your policy.

IF... this one gets away from you- there are models for sale on the interwebs.
Keep checking the listings in your area for models that might appear.
If they are close enough for a test drive- do so with an outside observer friend
as your co-pilot. I liken this car to a jet fighter F-16 cockpit experience.

The pre-flight anticipation nerves before inserting the key.
The rumble of the afterburner-err exhaust tone taxing to the catapult.
The cat shot thrill- gas pedal pressure into the wild blue yonder of asphalt road trip adventures.
The journey to the objective or horizon which ever comes first.
Then is when it gets interesting for you when that twisty section of roadway
presents itself to you.
Oh My .. look at this? ACM- the name I have given to my SKY.
Asphalt Combat Maneuvering when alone or when dealing with the masses.
The satisfaction of the smile on your face of Mission Accomplished for the day & me.
IT will make you feel younger- maybe look younger also-to your family, friends
co-workers- envy of your neighbors. The attention factor it receives IS real- be
prepared for this- stop lights, gas station purchases-
these new shoes are on sale now shopping adventures trips to your c/c?

Then the Thrill is Gone-
an old BB King tune as you land it safely at home base and park it for now.
Take a test drive to convince yourself this money purchase of yours was worth it
to you in the long run.
You won't be disappointed I wouldn't steer you wrong here.
IT will sell itself to you-worked for me.

The forum- has many knowledgeable owners here to help with your with questions & their experiences of owner/operator thereof- to guide you forward should you decide to pull the trigger on this one for sale.

They have helped me in many cases when I had no clue in my new ownership first few days.
It continues to this day here among our group. I too was hesitant to buy at first- an out of production model- parts & service- what did the original owner do or not do to this car when I bought this car many years ago?

I'm still smiling that silly grin we all have plastered on our faces every time we fire up
our gem and go for a drive.
The Day trip- an over night weekend adventure to a destination unknown.
Cars & Coffee- the local clubs of owners doing a Run/Meet in your area is another chance for knowledge and fun for you... about this unknown gem in the auto world.

I just had a couple yesterday ask me-
Hey Buddy what IS that car your driving... at a car show no less?
I told them- they raised an eyebrow.
You don't say- hmm a Saturn- I didn't think they made such a cool looking car.

Well proof is in the pudding as I explained to them what this car is all about. They were impressed as I strolled into the car show. IT got many looks and comments as I left.
There are not.. many cars out there that do look like this one. That alone speaks volumes among the masses to the plain jane look of cars today.
One owner told me- new cars today don't have that classic look style & feel when compared to the stamped pressed look many cars have today for consumer purchases.

Computers for everything to make your life easier, a more comfortable driving experience and
control... over you the owner. Sometime Less is More- keep it simple.

IF you need further convincing to yourself about this car-
visited my You-Tube channel: LAC Films.
Many vids- in different road trip adventures for me over the years.
Slow and easy cruise on lazy afternoon day or... just recently some high speed adventures to get your blood flowing.
Posting 2 new Runs today that I just completed yesterday.
Take a spin with me first- then go take a spin for yourself in real time.

Base models will be more reliable in the long run for your expense lay out after purchase.
The RL Turbo model can be a life changing event for some unsuspecting drivers.
They command a higher price above the base model price range- but they can be more
expensive to fix in some cases- not always but you never know on any given day what
new dent to your c/c will happen- don't ask me how I know this after the new windshield.

Sorry I typed to much again-
it's what I do when my passion over comes wisdom of choice when I typing about this car.
A curse for me to this day but... I wouldn't trade it for all the smiles this car has provided me over these last few years of ownership- you'll understand what I mean by this...
when you do own a SKY.

LAC
LAND THE PLANE!

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are a number of used car inspection services that will inspect the car and give you a complete report. Just search for used car inspection service. Your local GM dealer may also be willing to do that for you. Find a GMC Buick dealer and ask the service manager if he has a former Saturn technician on his staff. That’s the technician you want to inspect the car.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you’re considering buying a Redline and not familiar with vehicles equipped with a turbocharger, you need to familiarize yourself with how they are different than a naturally aspirated engine. Road and Track had an excellent article by Chris Perkins and video first posted July 20, 2018. It’s titled “Here are five things you should never do with a turbocharged car”.

·
Registered
18,252 Posts
There are a number of used car inspection services that will inspect the car and give you a complete report. Just search for used car inspection service. Your local GM dealer may also be willing to do that for you. Find a GMC Buick dealer and ask the service manager if he has a former Saturn technician on his staff. That’s the technician you want to inspect the car.
The last thing u want is a Saturn tech....they were never trained by GM and they actually ruined many cars trying to put them on a lift...If anything, it was the original owners on this forum which provided much information when our cars were brought in for service...we brought the needed information on how to.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Greetings
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 Saturn Sky Roadster,
Seller description garage kept, great condition 66000 miles, absolutely no issues
My question. As a senior lady I just want it as a toy. How do I know it is in perfect condition under the hood. What about flood issues since we live in Florida.
Any advice you can give me? 8500. Seems to be a fair price and from photos posted I dont see any body damage.
Since they have been discontinued are parts still available? I sure dont want to purchase a disposable car
Thanks in advance
Delane
Currently on Hemming’s there is an 07 Sky base model, 77,717 miles w/manual the color is Midnight Blue and the current bid is $7,000.00. I believe there are approximately 8 hours left for the auction.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The last thing u want is a Saturn tech....they were never trained by GM and they actually ruined many cars trying to put them on a lift...
Mechanics back in the workshop at the SATURN dealerships were no less qualified than any other GM brand. The vehicle lifting issue was a design flaw and not their fault. Sure it was annoying to see those panels cracked but in reality the damage was minimal and essentially unnoticeable to a passerby. And puhleeeeeze... let's not be overdramatic ... it by no means "ruined many cars."

·
Registered
18,252 Posts
Mechanics back in the workshop at the SATURN dealerships were no less qualified than any other GM brand. The vehicle lifting issue was a design flaw and not their fault. Sure it was annoying to see those panels cracked but in reality the damage was minimal and essentially unnoticeable to a passerby. And puhleeeeeze... let's not be overdramatic ... it by no means "ruined many cars."
If they are NO LESS qualified....U must agree NOT to take your car to a GM dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
OK
I must do this
I agree with MM

A technician that damages a car through improperly executing his duties is not a good technician. And its not a sign of a well run, managed and led shop.

I might be able to agree that a mishap with a new platform under the pressure of time and lack of preparation and care might be understandable. But a well run shop would NEVER break the second fender. Period.

I bought the last available right hand fender some years ago because all the rest had been consumed making repairs to cars that were damaged by GM technicians. This was exacerbated by the fact that GM when they entered bankruptcy basically left their vendors hanging and the fender vender (say that five times rapidly) went out of the fender vending business. They owned the tooling and its gone.

The fender design is in my opinion, based on being an engineer making stuff for 48 years, is NOT a design flaw. Its an elegant solution to a design that put demands on the structure needed to achieve the desired appearance. Blaming the CAR for the damage caused by a poorly trained or badly supervised human is inconsistent with sanity.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The "design flaw" was the failure to provide proper spacing, ie factory installed lifting pucks, not the fender. Of course most dealerships back then rarely saw a SKY come in for service. Same for the Pontiac shops and Solstices. By mid 2008 the writing was on the wall and they knew that they would be out of a job soon. Low morale = low performance.

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
OK
I must do this
I agree with MM
No! Say it isn't so!

......... the fender vender (say that five times rapidly) went out of the fender vending business. They owned the tooling and its gone.

Vendors, fender or otherwise, rarely own the tooling used to make bespoke parts for cars these days. We do not, for example, own any of the tooling that we use in the actual fabrication, and very few of the test jigs. The OE's want to be able to pull the tooling at any time if a particular supplier has problems, and if they own the tooling they can restrict the supplier from using it to make aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
$8000 for that car, if in the shape they say it is, is a total steal. It's interesting to read all of the differing opinions on this topic by supposed 'fans' of the car, LOL. I, for one, totally love my car and would recommend it to anyone. I've owned dozens of cars in my lifetime and none of them provided me with as much joy as this one does. Does the possibility exist of problems? Sure. Any single car that is purchased, new or used, has that chance. If it isn't going to be your primary source of transportation i would say dive in headfirst and enjoy the water!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I only advise people to buy 10+ used vehicles if he/she is mechanically inclined to perform repairs. Else it can be a money pit. IMHO these cars aren't difficult to work on. But you need be willing to get your hands dirty to address some simple buy otherwise $$$ repairs.

Honestly even back in the day, I'm not sure Saturn techs are exposed to working alot of Skies given the lowish numbers. I used to have a Saabaru 92X Aero (aka WRX) that I'd rather bring to Subaru dealership than a local Saab apart from warranty work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2008 Saturn Sky Roadster,
Seller description garage kept, great condition 66000 miles, absolutely no issues
My question. As a senior lady I just want it as a toy. How do I know it is in perfect condition under the hood. What about flood issues since we live in Florida.
Any advice you can give me? 8500. Seems to be a fair price and from photos posted I dont see any body damage.
Since they have been discontinued are parts still available? I sure dont want to purchase a disposable car
Thanks in advance
Delane
Send me the link. I will assist you

21 - 35 of 35 Posts