Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why didn't they make it electric??? Taking it down is not that big of an issue--but jeez, trying to push those locks down in the back takes all I have!! I workout alot and I didn't think I was a wimp~maybe I am!!! I'm sure you studly men don't have this problem, but girlfriends, you'd better start pumping that iron!! Someone, please make me feel like i'm not alone in this.... Ladies!?!:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
luvskyz said:
Why didn't they make it electric??? Taking it down is not that big of an issue--but jeez, trying to push those locks down in the back takes all I have!! I workout alot and I didn't think I was a wimp~maybe I am!!! I'm sure you studly men don't have this problem, but girlfriends, you'd better start pumping that iron!! Someone, please make me feel like i'm not alone in this.... Ladies!?!:D
Electric would add weight and COST. Sorry
Can you tell me again what part of the top is giving you problems? I've had to use no extra strength to get it up or down...I do lift several times a week but this top does not call for muscle if you pull/push the way it wants to go. Love to help, just more about what is difficult.

·
Registered
40 Posts
LuvSkyz, when you push the pins into their holes, try squaring your shoulders over the pins as you push, as oppossed to just using your arms. That may help make it a bit easier. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
My wife uses two hands to push down on the buttresses since she has a slight issue as well. They can be pretty tough.

·
Registered
517 Posts
luvskyz said:
I haven't had any problem with the top maybe with time it will be easier after a little wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Its not as though an automatic top would mean that you wouldnt have to stop the car to raise/lower the roof anyway -- which is what I see as the major (and unavoidable) inconvenience. I got no problem with the manual top, it stays down most of the time anyway.

I look at it like this if there WAS an option to make the exact top automatic for another 2,500 -- I would have definately passed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lucky you, at least you have a top that gives you problems, I don't even have a car, ordered 09/05 nothing yet, susposed to be 030.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think she is referring to the pins that need to be pushed back in to the trunk. They do take a bit of "force" to get them secure. On mine, it seems that the trunk may not be aligned correctly or it isnt closing properly. I just use my body weight and its not so hard.

This is what I found: when you sit in the drivers seat, look in the driver side rear view mirror (on the door) at the trunk, see how it is aligned. Then look at the passenger side rear view mirror at the trunk. Take notice of where the trunk meets the body, you may see a small gap -one side is higher than the other. Mine is a bit off ,no matter how hard I close the trunk. Its not a show stopper but it may explain why its difficult to get those pins secured.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sunny Ragtop said:
Electric would add weight and COST. Sorry
Can you tell me again what part of the top is giving you problems? I've had to use no extra strength to get it up or down...I do lift several times a week but this top does not call for muscle if you pull/push the way it wants to go. Love to help, just more about what is difficult.
Yeah--I guess it would've been added cost for electric... I am 5'7" and about 135 lbs. and I mean I have to square over that pin, put both hands on it and really force it in there. Pulling the top up and latching it inside is no problem--it's getting those darn pins in. And yes, hopefully that will get easier with time. Luckily, the weather is nice enough the tops stays down most of the time anyway!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
luvskyz said:
Yeah--I guess it would've been added cost for electric... I am 5'7" and about 135 lbs. and I mean I have to square over that pin, put both hands on it and really force it in there. Pulling the top up and latching it inside is no problem--it's getting those darn pins in. And yes, hopefully that will get easier with time. Luckily, the weather is nice enough the tops stays down most of the time anyway!!
Don't worry - with time you will be a Skytopspert. . . Everyone will admire you and be in awe of your great taste in cars....:thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
it is hard

i was in my saturn dealer yesterday, and thought the same thing when i pushed the trunk pins in. a little disconserting.....

still waitin thought...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 5'9 120lbs and my wife is 5'6 130, should I go buy a rubber hammer before our Sky arrives ? :confused: :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
OISky said:
I'm 5'9 120lbs and my wife is 5'6 130, should I go buy a rubber hammer before our Sky arrives ? :confused: :lol:
I really think it is more a question of technique than strength.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I really think it is more a question of technique than strength.
I think you're probably right, just anxious to find out for myself ! :willy:

good thing some to those who wait....good things come to those who wait...good things come to those who........

·
Registered
8 Posts
This might sound like a stupid idea, but it might be worth trying.

I recently purchased the Little Giant ladder and the Little Giant representative
recommended I take the ladder apart and spray all the moving parts and inside the
rails with End Dust. He told me his company found End Dust to be a very good lubricant
and did not attract dust and dirt.

I followed the reps recommendation and I could not believe the improvement
of the ladder operation. The ladder operation went from being rough to
working very smoothly. So, maybe the pins might slide into their slot easier if
the pin and slot area are sprayed with End Dust. Be sure to wipe away the excess
End Dust.

Hokie…

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
VA Tech Hokie has a good idea - never thought of it before. But a big part of it is technique or maybe I should say style. My Vette has a similar type of pins on the back and there is just a technique that pops them right in. I don't have my car, YET!:willy: But I have no doubt it will be that same, hit it just right and they pop. And it will also improve after a bit of doing it and it wears in a bit.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts