Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Sky a few days ago but I have been noticing something weird with my air conditioning. The compressor seems to be really loud - much louder than in my old Ion. It actually sounds pretty bad when the car is at a stand still and the radio is off. Also, when I turn on the recirculator, the air conditioner automatically comes on - even without pressing the button for it. The air conditioner LED light doesn't come on but the compressor does and cold air blows out. Is this how the air conditioning system is set up in the Sky? In my Ion, the air conditioner wouldn't come on by just pushing the recirculate button. I am having Saturn take a look at it Wednesday to see if the extra noise is a potential problem. Any input?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
NC Sky said:
I just got my Sky a few days ago but I have been noticing something weird with my air conditioning. The compressor seems to be really loud - much louder than in my old Ion. It actually sounds pretty bad when the car is at a stand still and the radio is off. Also, when I turn on the recirculator, the air conditioner automatically comes on - even without pressing the button for it. The air conditioner LED light doesn't come on but the compressor does and cold air blows out. Is this how the air conditioning system is set up in the Sky? In my Ion, the air conditioner wouldn't come on by just pushing the recirculate button. I am having Saturn take a look at it Wednesday to see if the extra noise is a potential problem. Any input?
I have both on my Sky. And on my monte carlo pushing the recirculate button or switching to defroster will also turn on the compressor, and neither case will the air conditioning light come on, so i guess that is the way it is set up...
The noise is similiar to what the compressor on my 2004 Chevy Silverado sounded like, I think it is just a charateristic of that compressor...
where it is located could be a reason it is louder ont he Sky than the ION...
Just a theroy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,329 Posts
Interesting thing I have noticed about the SKY air conditioning system is that under hard acceleration, the A/C drops off, I think it is set up to stop the HP loss you have with the A/C comp running. As soon as you let off or achieve cruising speed it comes back on. YUP!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
Interesting thing I have noticed about the SKY air conditioning system is that under hard acceleration, the A/C drops off, I think it is set up to stop the HP loss you have with the A/C comp running. As soon as you let off or achieve cruising speed it comes back on. YUP!!!!!!
that isn't that unusual, many cars have been doing that for years....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
The AC takes 7 to 10 hp, turning it off during hard acceleration makes sense for a small engine. Keep in mind that you are adding CAI and CAT back exhaust to pick up a similar amount of HP. I hope they are not doing this with bigger engines in trucks. I would hate to loose my AC for 15 to 20 minutes while pulling a 12,000# trailer over some pass.:nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Put the top down and shut off the air conditioning! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
I would like a new selection for the AC

I would love to see a selection where the AC would engage if you are going slower than 20MPH, that way in the heat of summer with the sun bearing down when you are going slow or stopped you could get some cool air without turning the air on and off every time you have to stop at a stop light, it would all be automatic then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I haven't noticed the compressor being loud, but I have noticed it cutting off when i'm driving hard, and then back on when I resume a normal speed. I understand why it happens, but when its 93 degrees and humid like it is today, I think i'd rather just have the AC on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from Saturn and they took a look at my A/C. Evidently, others have had the same issue I have had - there is a service bulletin out for "moaning/growling" from the A/C. The service manager did everything the bulletin said to do but the noises wouldn't go away! He called the engineers that post the bulletins and we are waiting on a response. Hopefully they will have other solutions. I'll keep you posted...
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
rocky777 said:
I haven't noticed the compressor being loud, but I have noticed it cutting off when i'm driving hard, and then back on when I resume a normal speed. I understand why it happens, but when its 93 degrees and humid like it is today, I think i'd rather just have the AC on.
Don't drive it hard and the a/c will stay on.....Skip...keeping cool.....:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Tried only once

Living in Washington State, I tried the A/C just once. The temp was up to almost 79 and that is hot here. Anyway, I had to get the manual out to find out how to turn it on. No problem, even at 75, it came on, and was as quite as one could expect. I plan on turning it on at least once a month just to keep it "in Tune".

Peeksdad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
SKYtime said:
Put the top down and shut off the air conditioning! :D
I love your idea, but its been 105+ here, although I found that putting on the a/c with the top down helps....:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
NC Sky said:
Just got back from Saturn and they took a look at my A/C. Evidently, others have had the same issue I have had - there is a service bulletin out for "moaning/growling" from the A/C. The service manager did everything the bulletin said to do but the noises wouldn't go away! He called the engineers that post the bulletins and we are waiting on a response. Hopefully they will have other solutions. I'll keep you posted...
Noticed the "growling" sound on ours this weekend. Varies with engine speed. Not real loud but enough to be annoying. Did anyone get a fix for this performed ? We have been using the A/C quite a bit lately because my wife got "chemical pneumonia" and has been having trouble breathing in the high humidity. Luckily she's getting better so we can get back to the top-down and fresh (but warm) air !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
ILVMYGT said:
The AC takes 7 to 10 hp, turning it off during hard acceleration makes sense for a small engine. Keep in mind that you are adding CAI and CAT back exhaust to pick up a similar amount of HP. I hope they are not doing this with bigger engines in trucks. I would hate to loose my AC for 15 to 20 minutes while pulling a 12,000# trailer over some pass.:nono:
Pulling that in my Silverado with the Duramax is no problem, just set the cruise and hope the @$$#o!e with the gas engine pulling a similar load gets out of my way.:brentil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Growling A/C

I too, noticed the growling/moaning noise when the A/C is turned on. As soon as I turn the fan off, the moaning stops. Is this just a characteristic of the A/C system in the Sky? What ever became of the TSB about this issue that someone previously posted in this thread? Is there a 'fix' to resolve this? It's pretty loud and annoying...I normally don't even run my A/C...but it's been raining and it's very warm and humid here lately, so A/C is a must.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
nscrbug said:
I too, noticed the growling/moaning noise when the A/C is turned on. As soon as I turn the fan off, the moaning stops.
I believe that turning off the fan also turns off the compressor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
ggccg said:
I believe that turning off the fan also turns off the compressor.

Hmmm...ok, I've got another question then. I can't seem to find the answer to this in the owner's manual, so forgive my ignorance if it's in there and I missed it. If after I run the a/c in the car to the point where it's cool enough for me...if I turn off the a/c (snowflake button) and just have the recirculate on along with the fan setting at 1, is the compressor still running at that point? Because I tried that today, and it kept the car nice and cool with just the recirculate on...almost too cool, so it made me wonder if the compressor was actually still running or not...:confused: Based on what you just posted...if the fan is on, then the compressor is also on...am I understanding that correctly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Servie Bulletin didn't fix noise

I've had my Sky in twice for the A/C noise. First time, a new compressor. Second time, service bulleting said to replace support bracket. It still growls like a hungry lion and sometimes it's so loud I hear it with the top down at 70. That is NOT normal. I'm going to try to record the noise and then play it for my Saturn dealer. They've only had A/C in cars since the Thirties, so you'd think the idiots in Detroit would get it right by now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
One more update. The service bulletin does not make a permanent fix. Saturn Corp finally admitted it's a design flaw they aren't going to be fixing in the foreseeable future. They just offered to make one car payment and extend the warranty for 4 years as a"good will gesture". I don't think I'll accept as I don't want to cut off any recourse. So, keep going in to the shop, call corporate customer service and make a regular bother of yourself. Maybe, just maybe they'll fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
A/C and Recirulation of Air?

Hmmm...ok, I've got another question then. I can't seem to find the answer to this in the owner's manual, so forgive my ignorance if it's in there and I missed it. If after I run the a/c in the car to the point where it's cool enough for me...if I turn off the a/c (snowflake button) and just have the recirculate on along with the fan setting at 1, is the compressor still running at that point? Because I tried that today, and it kept the car nice and cool with just the recirculate on...almost too cool, so it made me wonder if the compressor was actually still running or not...:confused: Based on what you just posted...if the fan is on, then the compressor is also on...am I understanding that correctly?
I would hope someone has a answer to this. It seems that even tho the A/C is off when you have the fan on and set to recirulate it is still blowing A/C air......All I want to do is recirulate the cool air......but A/C seems like it is on?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top