Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sneaking suspicion something's going on that could be hurting people who ordered Skys. I wonder if you can help me out on whether this is theoretically possible---or if I'm just paranoid about the whole process.

Lets say a dealer is allocated 22 Skys for the year. He's already delivered 5 cars and has 17 cars left in his allocation. NOW he finds--gee, these things are selling for above MSPR OR I can load em up with crappy mandatory add-ons for an extra $2500 or so. SOOO, instead of imaging the next person with a Paid Deposit--I slip in a couple of images of DEALER ORDER cars--loaded up instead of that customer order of basic plus Leather or whatever.

I know the Dealer I ordered from is selling at MSRP , no add ons, for all Custom Orders like mine willing to wait in line with a $1 K Deposit. BUT the Dealer admits that cars on the lot come with a mandatory package of add-ons for about $2500 extra.

I'm also moving up VERY slowly in line and finding I can't get answers to exactly how many people are ahead of me in line. Funny because when I put in the order they told me immediately where I was.

I have a strong suspicion this is the game dealers are playing. And they won't get penalized from Saturn, either. Because they're technically selling at MSRP despite the $2500 add-on game.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
HECK YEAH!..........ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE :eek: THOSE ARE THE "BADD"....DEALERSHIPS :boxing:
I would suggest to constantly keep in touch with your dealership, stop by once in a while let know you are lurking in the shadows.........

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The dealers that add on a markup with nothing for it, those are the one's Corporate will go after. It still within the dealer's right to opt for extra packages, as long as the customer get something for what he pays. It isn't the best thing but it is a a reality. The demand for this vehicle is so great, that people have and will continue to pay above MSRP for it. Find a dealer that sells for MSRP and order thru them. This to has been covered extensively in previous threads. It is my understanding a dealer in Dallas lost all there SKY allotments for tacking a markup on with nothing to show for it.
This is what I was told, however I have no way to verify it. It does make perfectly good sense though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But Ernest, the point is the Dealer I'm dealing with DOES sell at MSRP with no mark-ups or add-ons for all ORDERS.

But a common practice I understand among even the most reputable dealers is to sell "in stock" Skys with add-ons.

So do you see the potential "conflict" where Dealers may be tempted to Image more Skys for THEMSELVES as opposed to Customers? I think I've seen this first hand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be curious to hear Sky Spy's thoughts on this matter. Do you think individual customer orders are getting bumped by Dealer orders?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Totally! Our dealer did exactly that. They pre-ordered 12 cars from their allotment in January. We were allowed to place deposits in March and custom order our cars. Dealer cars came in with $2,400 add-ons in April. We were high on the waiting list but that didn't matter because the next allotment for ordering was June 8th. We passed up a lot of pre-ordered cars because they didn't have the options we wanted.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SkyBos said:
I have a sneaking suspicion something's going on that could be hurting people who ordered Skys. I wonder if you can help me out on whether this is theoretically possible---or if I'm just paranoid about the whole process.

Lets say a dealer is allocated 22 Skys for the year. He's already delivered 5 cars and has 17 cars left in his allocation. NOW he finds--gee, these things are selling for above MSPR OR I can load em up with crappy mandatory add-ons for an extra $2500 or so. SOOO, instead of imaging the next person with a Paid Deposit--I slip in a couple of images of DEALER ORDER cars--loaded up instead of that customer order of basic plus Leather or whatever.

I know the Dealer I ordered from is selling at MSRP , no add ons, for all Custom Orders like mine willing to wait in line with a $1 K Deposit. BUT the Dealer admits that cars on the lot come with a mandatory package of add-ons for about $2500 extra.

I'm also moving up VERY slowly in line and finding I can't get answers to exactly how many people are ahead of me in line. Funny because when I put in the order they told me immediately where I was.

I have a strong suspicion this is the game dealers are playing. And they won't get penalized from Saturn, either. Because they're technically selling at MSRP despite the $2500 add-on game.
I talked to my dealer today and asked some of these same questions. My dealership also sells Skys at MSRP and does not add on any options unless requested. The dealership will not mark up requested dealer add-ons over MSRP.

My salesman said that they do periodically recieve demo cars that are subsequently loaded with dealer options. My dealership got two demos in April and recently sold them when they received two new demos. (When I test drove one of the demos in May it already had almost 700 miles on it.)

I don't think dealerships are all stacking their orders with their own floor or demo models.

I was shocked when my salesman informed me today that I could receive my car in just a few months because of production increases. My original estimate was March '07. Interestingly enough, though, he was no longer able to tell my where I am on the waiting list. He said that they have changed the computer system and the dealerships (or at least sales personnel) cannot access all of the status information they once could.

I was told that the next status he could give me will be that the car has been built. I won't even get a VIN number until then.

I wonder whether the dealerships have realized that people on message boards like this one talk to each other and may have more information than they want us to have. Perhaps they are trying to control the flow of information simply by telling us that they no longer have access.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The demand for the Sky is so great any and all scenarios with dealers are distinct possibilities. It is a sellers market with this vehicle, I don't condone certain practices. I am not in any way defending them, it is just business. Go find an MSRP dealer, there are plenty of them, but realize every dealer is in the business to make money, that is what greases the wheels of industry. I paid over MSRP, but that is because I bougth a bunch of accessories and an extended warranty. If I was on a budget I would have found a place and bought at MSRP. But I am blessed with the good fortune of managing and saving thru the years so I can enjoy my retirement years. I could have bought a 'Vette & paid cash, but I can't justify spending that much when I can have just as much fun with a SKY, while the diference is making in interest and investments. I use interest off my investments to pay for my toys, never touching the principal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moni's post is almost exactly as I allege almost to the penny.

This is a cynical and pathetic way for Dealers to behave. I would argue its a virtual Bait and Switch., Getting people to pay 4-figure Deposits and teasing them with a longer wait than one would expect, getting bumped by Dealer orders with mandatory bogus add-ons. Remember, they make money on the "Float" from all those $1,000 Deposits. It adds up.

I think there are a LOT of Dealers in on this and its not punishable by Saturn as its a convenient way to circumvent the MSRP suggested rules.

This may be something the national media would be interested in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts