Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding a rear spoiler. The question is does it block or interfere with the rear-view mirror when looking in it. As it is I can see fairly well. Will I lose some vision blocked by the spoiler.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm thinking about adding a rear spoiler. The question is does it block or interfere with the rear-view mirror when looking in it. As it is I can see fairly well. Will I lose some vision blocked by the spoiler.
With the top up, I never see it in the mirror through the back glass. The back glass is so small it narrows down where you can angle the mirror anyway. With the top down assuming I don’t adjust the mirror, it’s the same angle so I don’t really see it still as it sits where the bottom of the back window outline would be anyway.
Mirror Cloud Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
994 Posts
Also thinking of adding a spoiler. Do most use the drill method or have people found success with the 3M adhesive installs?
The factory option spoiler has to be drilled, it's 3 bolts on each side. There are a few aftermarkets too like from RK Sport, etc. that look pretty good. To my knowledge all of which have to be drilled. I've heard of some Solstice owners who have used 3M tape to apply their duck tail style spoilers, but that's a very different design and has more surface area for the spoiler to adhere to the body.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I bought a matching paint rear spoiler for my base Sky but could not bring myself to drill the holes. So I went with Plan-B, replace the tiny rubber antenna with a "no mod required" Shark style. It is surely a matter of personal taste, but I am extremely pleased with the results. The absence of a rear spoiler naturally enhances the twin humps of which I think most of us would agree is the most unique feature of the Sky. I might add that the quality-made, thicker clear rear wind deflector also enhances the humps.

BTW, The rear spoiler and Shark antenna together create an interference. It is "either/or", not both together without further mods to the rear deck lid.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a matching paint rear spoiler for my base Sky but could not bring myself to drill the holes. So I went with Plan-B, replace the tiny rubber antenna with a "no mod required" Shark style. It is surely a matter of personal taste, but I am extremely pleased with the results. The absence of a rear spoiler naturally enhances the twin humps of which I think most of us would agree is the most unique feature of the Sky. I might add that the quality-made, thicker clear rear wind deflector also enhances the humps.

BTW, The rear spoiler and Shark antenna together create an interference. It is "either/or", not both together without further mods to the rear deck lid.
View attachment 120945
View attachment 120946
Mine has the same antenna 👍

·
Registered
994 Posts

View attachment 120945
View attachment 120946
To each their own, but I do personally like the spoiler on the Sky. I think it was well designed on it's own appearance and compliments the angular body lines of the car. I also think it adds a little more height to the rear of the vehicle and gives more of an aggressive forward rake appearance. The factory GM Onstar/XM antenna is basic yes, but doesn't look too bad with a matching style stubby 8" radio antenna as opposed to the RC car look whip antenna from GM. The late model shark fin one just looks like a football, it's proportions are too large for the vehicle it's on IMO.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
This might sound like a crazy suggestion, but rather than purchase the spoiler by itself and take the chance of drilling holes into your trunk... I’d contact @Hoosier GXP ; and “order” one from him with a factory installed spoiler in your color of choice.

He‘ll definitely come across one at some point.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I installed a lumma spoiler. eventually i decided i wanted a different look and now have no spoiler. the lumma was visible and whatever badness it had blocking was goodness for blocking bright headlights. it was sort of heavy and resulted in a loss of about half a mile a gallon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts