Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

first i want to say hello to this great forum.
And say sorry about me bad english.

I am from germany and we will get the sky as "Opel GT"
You can see here:
http://www1.opel.de/gt/flash.html

But the bad news are, that it will be 2007 befor the first cars will sold in germany.
So there is no chance to sit in this car or to test it.

can someone here answer me a few questions?
I am 193cm large, is this to large for the sky?
I will drive the car every day, so i need one, who is a little bit comfortable for my size, even if it is closed

Is the roof okay for winter? When it is rain, snow and ice?
Or is it only for summer?

Is there a chance to get a hardtop? For Winter?

How big :lol: is the trunk?
Are there pictures from the trunk when the roof is closed, and open?

How complicated is it, to close the roof?

many questions i know. i hope you understand my broken englich, and i hope i understand your answers. :D

with regards
Werner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
193cm.... if my math is right that's 6 ft. 4 in. and you would probably feel a bit cramped in the Sky/Opel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
german-gt said:
Hi,

first i want to say hello to this great forum.
And say sorry about me bad english.

I am from germany and we will get the sky as "Opel GT"
You can see here:
http://www1.opel.de/gt/flash.html

But the bad news are, that it will be 2007 befor the first cars will sold in germany.
So there is no chance to sit in this car or to test it.

can someone here answer me a few questions?
I am 193cm large, is this to large for the sky?
I will drive the car every day, so i need one, who is a little bit comfortable for my size, even if it is closed

Is the roof okay for winter? When it is rain, snow and ice?
Or is it only for summer?

Is there a chance to get a hardtop? For Winter?

How big :lol: is the trunk?
Are there pictures from the trunk when the roof is closed, and open?

How complicated is it, to close the roof?

many questions i know. i hope you understand my broken englich, and i hope i understand your answers. :D

with regards
Werner
Guten Tag Werner,
I am 200 cm - 6 feet for you non metric types, and I fit in the car fine. Not sure I would drive the car in the winter. Although a Canadian winter is very different from a German winter. For me its a summer car.
The car looks like it would be terrible in the snow and I would think the stock tires would need to be changed for snow tires.
The trunk space is small
Cheers
Oakvillesky
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Oakvillesky said:
Guten Tag Werner,
I am 200 cm - 6 feet for you non metric types, and I fit in the car fine. Not sure I would drive the car in the winter. Although a Canadian winter is very different from a German winter. For me its a summer car.
The car looks like it would be terrible in the snow and I would think the stock tires would need to be changed for snow tires.
The trunk space is small
Cheers
Oakvillesky
200 cm is just over 6'-6". I watched a guy over 6'-4" try to get into a Solstice. He was very uncomfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Oakvillesky said:
The car looks like it would be terrible in the snow and I would think the stock tires would need to be changed for snow tires.
That's a requirement in Europe anyway.

I still think you would want a second car so that you could go for weekend trips with more then a duffel bag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Snow capability remains to be seen. I know that GM sweats the decision on how much snow capability to build into a tire.

I've had the chance to drive a C6 this winter (equipped with the Corvette's version of the Goodyear GS-2 - same tire that will be on the Solstice GXP/Sky RedLine but in different size and as a NON-run-flat).

It was, surprisingly, VERY comfortable to drive in up to about an inch to 2" of snow. I also had the chance to drive a naturally aspirated kappa (on the RSA tires) and up to 2" of snow was absolutely no problem. I've talked to people who drove a naturally aspriated SKY in deeper snow without getting stuck...

...so the bottom line is you can't judge a tire's snow performance by the appearance or even the designation of "summer-only" or "all season" on tirerack. I've driven "all season high performance" that left me stranded in 1/2" of snow, and now I've driven a definite "summer-only" tire in 2" of snow with no significant issues.

IF GM "builds in" snow performance to the GS-2 tire, then it won't be as bad as it initially seems, german-gt. But, depending on how much snow capability they build in, it may not be the "maximum end-all" for dry performance.

Optimal, of course, is either drive the car only where this is no snow, and get a great wet/dry tire (like the Goodyear GS-D3) with NO snow capability, or get an extra set of wheels and swap out a good snow tire when the winter season approaches and use the good dry tires for summer - OR just don't drive it in the winter.

It all depends on what you want to do, and how the snow capability ends up. If I were to bet, I'd bet on decent snow capability and good dry (but not OUTSTANDING dry) performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Mallard said:
That's a requirement in Europe anyway.

I still think you would want a second car so that you could go for weekend trips with more then a duffel bag.
I don't think there is any such requirement, Mallard.

I do know the European customer (correct me if I'm wrong, german-gt) is much more tolerant to having summer and winter tires, vs. our expectation of "all things to all people."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
German,

I think you would love this car as a second car...I think it would comfortable for up to 6'2" or 6'3". There is virtually no trunk room. This is an A + Fun car--and about the worst you could pick for practicality. Its a great everyday car if you live near work in a comfortable climate and travel very very lightly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Here's an idea: Take a trip to the United States and come sit in a Sky! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
I'm 6'2'' and I fit in the sky fine. When I first sat in a sky it seemed a little cramped but driveable. After I got my sky 3 days ago, I guess I got accustomed to it and it feels fine. My 5' wife however, can barely see over the dash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
german-gt said:
Hi,

first i want to say hello to this great forum.
And say sorry about me bad english.

I am from germany and we will get the sky as "Opel GT"
You can see here:
http://www1.opel.de/gt/flash.html

But the bad news are, that it will be 2007 befor the first cars will sold in germany.
So there is no chance to sit in this car or to test it.

can someone here answer me a few questions?
I am 193cm large, is this to large for the sky?
I will drive the car every day, so i need one, who is a little bit comfortable for my size, even if it is closed

Is the roof okay for winter? When it is rain, snow and ice?
Or is it only for summer?

Is there a chance to get a hardtop? For Winter?

How big :lol: is the trunk?
Are there pictures from the trunk when the roof is closed, and open?

How complicated is it, to close the roof?

many questions i know. i hope you understand my broken englich, and i hope i understand your answers. :D

with regards
Werner
By the way, Werner -- your English is a LOT better than my German!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
My best friend sat in the Sky when I was first looking. He is 6'4" about 300lbs. He was extremely uncomfortable. Fortunately, for me, it didn't stop me from ordering one.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Oakvillesky said:
Guten Tag Werner,
I am 200 cm - 6 feet for you non metric types, and I fit in the car fine. Not sure I would drive the car in the winter. Although a Canadian winter is very different from a German winter. For me its a summer car.
The car looks like it would be terrible in the snow and I would think the stock tires would need to be changed for snow tires.
The trunk space is small
Cheers
Oakvillesky
1 inch = 2.54cm. 193cm tall = 6'33"

German GT: you won't really be able to tell how you fit until you actually sit in one. The length of your legs verses your upper body will have alot to do with how well you 'fit' in the car. There is about 106 cm of leg room for driving, so you will have to calculate your personal space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
New laws in Germany

KappaMan said:
...
I do know the European customer (correct me if I'm wrong, german-gt) is much more tolerant to having summer and winter tires, vs. our expectation of "all things to all people."

Beginning with the coming winter in Germany it's required by law to use winter tyres or tyres with a good "winter behavior", that does mean at least all-season tyres.
Therefore in Germany the OEM tyres for the RL/GT are only usesable for summer driving, all year drivers have to use a seperate set of winter tyres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Hight adjustable drivers seat

Kustomkaps said:
...

German GT: you won't really be able to tell how you fit until you actually sit in one. The length of your legs verses your upper body will have alot to do with how well you 'fit' in the car. There is about 106 cm of leg room for driving, so you will have to calculate your personal space.
Could be possible the conditions might change a little with the adjustable drivers seat upcoming second half of this year. Did someone have any experience yet ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
Beginning with the coming winter in Germany it's required by law to use winter tyres or tyres with a good "winter behavior", that does mean at least all-season tyres.
Therefore in Germany the OEM tyres for the RL/GT are only usesable for summer driving, all year drivers have to use a seperate set of winter tyres.
Exactly. Also, if you are in an accident during winter, and you don't have winter tires you can and will be ticketed. Depending on the dealer, if you buy a car in the winter it will be equipped with snow tires. I've also heard that you can be ticketed for driving faster then the speed rating of the snow tire. (A friend was told that after he picked up a rental in Germany)

KappaMan - Snow performance on a summer tire is also very dependant on the surface. A granular, packed snow will pose less of a problem then slush (what is mostly on public roads anyway). During the winter months I'm driving on a test facility of almost all packed snow surfaces. There aren't many, if any, car that have troubled on the packed surface. But the morning after a big snow they won't go anywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
1 inch = 2.54cm. 193cm tall = 6'33"QUOTE]
I think he means 6'.33''. otherwise he would be 8'9'' Just having fun!!

By the way: how do you say in German.."This car kicks ass"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Mallard said:
Exactly. Also, if you are in an accident during winter, and you don't have winter tires you can and will be ticketed. Depending on the dealer, if you buy a car in the winter it will be equipped with snow tires. I've also heard that you can be ticketed for driving faster then the speed rating of the snow tire. (A friend was told that after he picked up a rental in Germany).
Mallard,

that's correct, but it's also your own secutity not to run a winter tyre over his limit, for example Q rated max. 100 mls/h. I for myself most use H rated winter tyres 210 km/h ~ 130 mls/h, thats allways enough in winter conditions.

Mallard said:
KappaMan - Snow performance on a summer tire is also very dependant on the surface. A granular, packed snow will pose less of a problem then slush (what is mostly on public roads anyway). During the winter months I'm driving on a test facility of almost all packed snow surfaces. There aren't many, if any, car that have troubled on the packed surface. But the morning after a big snow they won't go anywhere.
There is also a strong influence in the winter performance by the dimension of the tyre: smaller width is better:

>>> http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67326&postcount=15

A good and secure winter driving for the few all-season-drivers :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
ishot3bucks said:
Kustomkaps said:
1 inch = 2.54cm. 193cm tall = 6'33"QUOTE]
I think he means 6'.33''. otherwise he would be 8'9'' Just having fun!!

By the way: how do you say in German.."This car kicks ass"!
Yes, that would be a tall man. 6.33' tall.


Dieses Auto tritt Esel


Direct translation from an online translation. I am sure the slang version is better.:D
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top