Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Actually - seeing the members list has nothing to do with having a membership or not...

I get the pull-down menu for the members list, but when I click it...

No members list!

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Actually - seeing the members list has nothing to do with having a membership or not...

I get the pull-down menu for the members list, but when I click it...

No members list!

OK, yup, I am sure they didn't want that, I don't think, thats the error i get also and I agree with your assumption, that is probably a glitch..:thumbs: However, also my page is full across the screen, not cut off like it was this morning, donno if me changing the options in User Profile toward the bottom, fixed that for me.. Here are the exact options, let see how it posts..

IntelliTXT Ads
This allows you to Enable or Disable the IntelliTXT Advertising.
Enable Disable
Show Sidebar on Forum Pages

This allows you to turn off the sidebar on forum threadview pages.

For Premium Members, this turns off the sidebar on all forum pages.
Enable Disable

·
Registered
429 Posts
Excellent!! This is what GetAboutRL and I are talking about. Thanks reedred for posting that last screen capture of yours. It clearly shows that YOU and other "paying members" do NOT have this wide gap those of us that have not paid are getting. I captured a pic with your screen as my example and here is what us non-payers are getting.. So, in conclusion, you wanna get rid of "some of the advertising crap" pay up...:thumbs: (looks like, I would hate to pay, and still get that GD gap.. :mad:

One more pic using Iexplorer with the same capture Reed used, now you can see all the clutter..
I'm running Mozilla Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on and I'm not getting any ads at all. Here's the same screen shot that you used to compare to Reeds screen shot to show you the difference. All I have to do now is collapse the menus on the left side-bar and it'll basically leave a nice empty margin with the headers there if I need to look at those menus.

And Firefox and the ad-ons are free, all free. And I've found that it loads a lot faster than IE.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I'm running Mozilla Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on and I'm not getting any ads at all. Here's the same screen shot that you used to compare to Reeds screen shot to show you the difference. All I have to do now is collapse the menus on the left side-bar and it'll basically leave a nice empty margin with the headers there if I need to look at those menus.

And Firefox and the ad-ons are free, all free. And I've found that it loads a lot faster than IE.

Hi, Yes I know, if you look at your post above you will see the same screen capture & that you will notice basically the same os. BUT after I disabled some of the adds to the left using our forum options here, both programs Firefox & Netscape, you will see that I am using Netscape are basically the same surfing software and using the same Ad blocking s/w that you are. On your previous example you took the example I posted using Microsoft Internet Explorer to compare, just to show the differences. Looking at my navigator in the "Help, About" says this: ""Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7pre) Gecko/20070815 Firefox/2.0.0.6 Navigator/9.0b3"". In another words, there are a variation on the same software, ie. one is called Mozilla, another is Firefox, and finally the one I'm using is Netscape. ALL of those programs use the "same" engine basically with different names, but some minor differences between them & the way they work. I tried the others and found Netscape more to my liking. And yes, I agree it is much faster loading. Also, looks like if you "tweak" the settings in your User CP, you can eliminate some ads to the left and widen the screen as you can see above. It at least works with our s/w, I don't come here, or any other forum any more with Microsoft, (to cumbersome, slow and the ads, to block ads with IE, you have to pay for the software), to many ads at ALL forums I am a member. If you go to your User CP, click on User Profile and disable these 2 items: This >> IntelliTXT Ads AND this >>This allows you to turn off the sidebar on forum thread view pages.
For Premium Members, this turns off the sidebar on all forum pages.
Enable Disable

It will eliminate the adds down the left side when reading a thread., like this one.. :cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
920 Posts

What subscribe list do you use with adblock plus?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
It tant so dang hard even for a redneck from Alabama. Just go to new posts and read them all and then MARK FORUMS READ...Come back later and pick up again....Skip....:):D:)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
OK - so we know the member list is gone. I know I'm not the only one who wasn't happy 'bout it, but the feedback is that the list was removed because of the usage of the member's list to hack user accounts.

We (this site) haven't had an issue with this (actually, we did have a directed hack on one member... but not a scripted hack) but apparently other sites have and they recommend turning off the member's list for security.

One thing you can all do is make sure you have a strong password, at minimum 8 characters and at least a minimum of each of these: one lower case letter, one number, and one capital letter.

"password" is not a very strong password.
"PaSsword" is much stronger.
"Pa55w0rD" is quite strong, and

"Pa5SwoRd0vTheDay365AyEar" is extremely strong!

Simply capitalizing one of the one of the letters, and substituting 5 for "S", 2 for z, and 0 (the number zero) for the letter 'O', and phonetic spelling or phonetic substitution (v for f, for example) are great password strategies that are unlikely to be broken, especially if applied to a password that only you know. Even if someone knew your password is "password', it would be highly unlikely they would guess the third example without timing out your account (5 tries within 15 minutes).

I am working on trying to get the member's list turned on for registered members or maybe even 'senior members' with a certain number of posts and a time on forum > some number of months (and of course all paid members), as these people are highly unlikely to initiate a hacking attack on member accounts. In my vision, guests and non-members and noobs wouldn't see the member's list and possibly wouldn't see any registries and/or member profiles, either.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am working on trying to get the member's list turned on for registered members or maybe even 'senior members' with a certain number of posts and a time on forum > some number of months (and of course all paid members), as these people are highly unlikely to initiate a hacking attack on member accounts. In my vision, guests and non-members and noobs wouldn't see the member's list and possibly wouldn't see any registries and/or member profiles, either.
That's the way they do it on the kappamotorsport forum, and it works fine. :thumbs:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts