Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I outsmarted myself. I picked out some tires that seemed to have very good specs--rated for 160 MPH--
but they make so much noise on the highway it is almost impossible to listen to the radio! I am going to have
to see if I can trade them back, after 100 miles use. So what brand and type should I try for? I am obviously
NOT going to try and drive 160 MPH--I doubt that I will very often hit 80. The key is QUIET--so that I can
listen to XM-radio, or have a conversation with a passenger. I will never drive in snow, and will mostly avoid
even rain, since the advantage of a convertible is to have the top down!

Thanx for info--doug

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I outsmarted myself. I picked out some tires that seemed to have very good specs--rated for 160 MPH--
but they make so much noise on the highway it is almost impossible to listen to the radio! I am going to have
to see if I can trade them back, after 100 miles use. So what brand and type should I try for? I am obviously
NOT going to try and drive 160 MPH--I doubt that I will very often hit 80. The key is QUIET--so that I can
listen to XM-radio, or have a conversation with a passenger. I will never drive in snow, and will mostly avoid
even rain, since the advantage of a convertible is to have the top down!

Thanx for info--doug
FWIW, My Michelin Pilot SS seem to be pretty quiet to me. You can get them for around $188/tire with a $50 rebate.

_

·
Super Moderator
11,223 Posts
I just put on a set of BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 tires on my Sky. They are Summer tires and handle very well...not as good as the RE-71Rs but they are definitely quieter than the RE-71Rs. Happy with them so far. No idea how long they last but I've been told about 20,000 miles. They have an All Season (Comp A/S) that is supposed to last longer.

·
Registered
952 Posts
FWIW, My Michelin Pilot SS seem to be pretty quiet to me. You can get them for around $188/tire with a $50 rebate.
I also have the Pilot Super Sport, find them to be quiet and very sticky, and I do drive 160 mph. :cheers:

(OK, only once...it's far too fast to be enjoyable! But I often drive 120 mph.)

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I have Michelin Premier tires on my Solstice Coupe. Very quiet.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Rusty, correct me if I'm wrong, but I had MXV4's on my Jetta and when I went to replace them, they had been replaced by the Primier label Michelin's. The Primier's were touted by Costco as being a better tire. And to that, I can't argue that they aren't as good or better. I like them and it is a very good ride.

My SKY got the Michelin's in 2013 and at the time they were selling the Pilot Super Sport. I like those tires too. My experience with Michelin tires is they always get over 40K miles.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have Michelin PSS and the Goodrich Sport Comp 2 on my cars and agree that both are pretty quiet. They may be way more performance than you need to pay for, though, if you are a sedate driver.

Might look at Sumitomo or Bridgestone Turanza etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I have MXV4s on the NA and PSS AS3s on the RL. Both are quiet, have appropriate performance for the car, and both will be replaced with the same tire (or its successor) when the time comes.

I drive in the cold, so all-season tires are a requirement.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Rusty, correct me if I'm wrong, but I had MXV4's on my Jetta and when I went to replace them, they had been replaced by the Primier label Michelin's. The Primier's were touted by Costco as being a better tire. And to that, I can't argue that they aren't as good or better. I like them and it is a very good ride.

My SKY got the Michelin's in 2013 and at the time they were selling the Pilot Super Sport. I like those tires too. My experience with Michelin tires is they always get over 40K miles.
I got the MXV4s in February of 2013. I don't know if they're still available. I bought them because they're a touring tire, and had a 60,000 mile treadware rating. After 36,000 miles, they still have 6/32 on them. I believe they originally had 10/32.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I got the MXV4s in February of 2013. I don't know if they're still available. I bought them because they're a touring tire, and had a 60,000 mile treadware rating. After 36,000 miles, they still have 6/32 on them. I believe they originally had 10/32.
As far as I know, the MXV4s are no longer available. I really like them and was disappointed when I found they had been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As far as I know, the MXV4s are no longer available. I really like them and was disappointed when I found they had been discontinued.
John, that is my understanding too, MXV4s are no longer available. My son-in-law bought new Michelins the same time I did at Costco, and was told the same that the Primiers were the replacement. And I have been pleased with the Primiers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts