Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline (Mischief)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!!

Mischief (2008 Sky RedLine) has been misbehaving. Intermittently my brakes will go mushy and I have to pump then like I'm driving a '57 Chevy.

So yesterday I completely flushed the (absolutely terrible, probably original fill) brake fluid and replaced it with fresh DOT4, replaced all 4 soft lines with braided stainless lines, flushed the clutch hydraulic lines down to the clutch master.

Today I took her out for more than a quick around the block test drive annnnd...

No significant change.

I'm thinking master cylinder, since I'm not getting any ABS codes.

1) Thoughts on my diagnosis?

2) Does Brembo/Wildwood/ anyone make a better master cylinder than OEM? I haven't seen one, but I'm not exactly omniscient over here.

Thanks!!
Merlyn

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
Good morning!!

Mischief (2008 Sky RedLine) has been misbehaving. Intermittently my brakes will go mushy and I have to pump then like I'm driving a '57 Chevy.

So yesterday I completely flushed the (absolutely terrible, probably original fill) brake fluid and replaced it with fresh DOT4, replaced all 4 soft lines with braided stainless lines, flushed the clutch hydraulic lines down to the clutch master.

Today I took her out for more than a quick around the block test drive annnnd...

No significant change.

I'm thinking master cylinder, since I'm not getting any ABS codes.

1) Thoughts on my diagnosis?

2) Does Brembo/Wildwood/ anyone make a better master cylinder than OEM? I haven't seen one, but I'm not exactly omniscient over here.

Thanks!!
Merlyn
What are the conditions when your brakes misbehave? Assuming that everything is assembled correctly and nothing is loose there have not been any discussions about this sort of problem.

Reactions: Merlin

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline (Mischief)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No particular conditions- every time I hit the brakes, it's a toss up if the pedal is going to be firm and useful, or go half way to the floor and not slow the car significantly. If it's the latter, I pump the pedal once and I gots brakes.

I looked over everything yesterday while I had her on jack stands with the wheels off, and everything looked tight and right. When the brakes work, they are very good indeed.

M.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
No particular conditions- every time I hit the brakes, it's a toss up if the pedal is going to be firm and useful, or go half way to the floor and not slow the car significantly. If it's the latter, I pump the pedal once and I gots brakes.

I looked over everything yesterday while I had her on jack stands with the wheels off, and everything looked tight and right. When the brakes work, they are very good indeed.

M.
Some 2008 Sky's didn't come with a brake vacuum pump. If you are under boost or a low vacuum condition like going up a hill and need to stop fast, you may not have brake assist. You will have to use a lot more pedal pressure than normal. Also there has been some brake problems associated with the rear brake adjuster sticking and not adjusting to pad wear properly. It will result in increased brake pedal travel. Air in the brake lines will create a condition where you will have to pump the brakes. The pedal slowly sinking is a leak. The leak can be internal or external.

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts

M.
You could have dirt in your master cylinder. I had similar symptoms from my clutch, and that was the problem there.

There is a very small hole in the side of the clutch master cylinder bore that feeds fluid into it, and mine apparently had a small piece of dirt blocking it. The clutch pedal would pretty much go to the floor, but a couple of pumps would get it to function properly for a time or two. Eventually it stopped working altogether.

I do not know if the brake master cylinder is built the same way, but it seems reasonable that it would be.

In any case, master cylinder problems are rare, and I would try replacing with a new OE one before going aftermarket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts