Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed out their stock steering wheel for a racing wheel? If you have, was anyone able to retain their steering wheel controls.
Im way less concerned about cruise control(though it would be nice) and much more concerned about the dash gauge control. Just the 2 buttons.

I have plenty of ways and locations to mount something or integrate something to have working buttons for these things, or to find a steering wheel with a couple extra buttons and route them in... But id love some more info from anyone who has tackled something like this.

Im a rather tall big guy and ive dreamed of doing a quick release steering wheel in this car. Make it easier to get in with the top up, plus it would just be cool.

I have no dream of retaining the airbag, im just looking for the steering wheel controls(left hand side only).

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
Some owners have installed a corvette steering wheel in their cars///

I do possess an extra set of 2006=07 steering wheel buttons....the flat ones.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The buttons just connect a resistor ladder across the wires in the hub harness, so once you have the resistors you need, it would be pretty easy to retrofit pushbuttons.

However, if you are just going to use some random aftermarket sports wheel, how do you propose to retrofit the airbag? If you think you can just disconnect it, you will receive DIC warnings and alerts all the time.

Just go with a Corvette wheel like MM says.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The buttons just connect a resistor ladder across the wires in the hub harness, so once you have the resistors you need, it would be pretty easy to retrofit pushbuttons.

However, if you are just going to use some random aftermarket sports wheel, how do you propose to retrofit the airbag? If you think you can just disconnect it, you will receive DIC warnings and alerts all the time.

I found how to trick the system airbag light. So it will think theres one there but there isnt.
I basically just need to know what wires do exactly what and how we would hook those up to other switches.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts

There is no such thing as plug n play...the wires for the 06-07 buttons are in a different position than the 08-10. Depending on the harness from our SKY...if converted to a corvette steering wheel...depending on the year of the wheel...and other factors. When I changed my buttons from flat to raised....it was guess work on finding the right combination. The different wiring was only on the left side of the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
There is no such thing as plug n play...the wires for the 06-07 buttons are in a different position than the 08-10. Depending on the harness from our SKY...if converted to a corvette steering wheel...depending on the year of the wheel...and other factors. When I changed my buttons from flat to raised....it was guess work on finding the right combination. The different wiring was only on the left side of the steering wheel.
Like this?

Or this?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Has anyone changed out their stock steering wheel for a racing wheel? If you have, was anyone able to retain their steering wheel controls.
Im way less concerned about cruise control(though it would be nice) and much more concerned about the dash gauge control. Just the 2 buttons.

I have plenty of ways and locations to mount something or integrate something to have working buttons for these things, or to find a steering wheel with a couple extra buttons and route them in... But id love some more info from anyone who has tackled something like this.

Im a rather tall big guy and ive dreamed of doing a quick release steering wheel in this car. Make it easier to get in with the top up, plus it would just be cool.

I have no dream of retaining the airbag, im just looking for the steering wheel controls(left hand side only).

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
Like this?

Or this?
I viewed both corvette steering wheels....one with only one side with buttons....the steering wheel with buttons on both sides....I would choose the steering wheel with both side buttons because the wiring harness is similar to our car....but of course u will need to use the SKY harness and find the proper position of which wire goes to which contact. Not impossible but hopefully u have an electrical schematic for both vehicles....A smart idea is to use the buttons from the Sky and replace them in the corvette steering wheel. This way....it will save u a headache. Much easier this way. They should be interchangeable

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Making a wrong choice on a new steering wheel could be costly. I discovered when I was having my original 2009 wheel refinished (leather/wood) they sent me back a Cobalt wheel. Only problem was that the air bag didn't fit - there are at least two different wheels/bags. I ended up buying an NOS wheel for a Solstice and having it redone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Y'all need to look at some sim racing forums. These guys are all masters of buttons on steering wheels. I'm pretty sure that there's a few there that could help you with this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts