Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the install on my car of my Valentine 1. I have the detector mounted above the rear view mirror. I could not get the power to run off anything on the mirror, so I ran behind the trim to the fuse area in the passenger foot well. I hid a componant behind the glovebox that allows for a remote display. The Radar now turns on and off with the car (no door delay like the radio), as I tied it into the HVAC fuse.

I installed a remote display in the dead space area just to the right of the airbag status lights in the dash. There is plenty of room behind there, once I got it off the dash area. This allows me to have status lights, the boguey counter, band warnings etc, not visible to cars (or cops) behind me. The radar is still above the mirror, but it stays blank now. This also allows for me to silence the radar with the mute button on the remote display... which is now right next to where my hand is usually anyhow, on the gearshift (manual).

I was getting creative, so I also ran another microswitch mute button into the transmission hump and into the shifter boot itself. Now I can silence it without even moving my hand off the shifter... it is beneath the leather, just a couple inches below the chrome nob.

Here are some (bad) cell phone photos of the display install.

Yes it was scary cutting into the plastic part of the dash (with a dremel). I measured it over and over, checked for clearance of the tabs to the part, etc. Finally I did it, and it came out pretty nice, if I must say so myself (and I must). It is pretty flush, no exposed wires, and most people think it was always there. :) I dont know how much that trim piece is, but I wrote down the part number (before I cut it off) in case I need to replace it someday. :thumbs:

If you want to take off this trim piece you do NOT have to pull off all the surrounding areas of the dash. It is held by 4 little clips in the plastic... I found this out after I had taken everything off. I fished the wires back through the dash with a hanger, and that seems to work fine. The ABS light display just clips into this part, so it is easy to remove too. :thumbs:

I just had to share, it is the first time I have done something like this without someone else having done it first. I already did the garage door mod with a button in the bottom of the dash, but this had the potential to really screw up the car. I was so proud of myself I dragged the wife out to look at my handiwork... she just nods and give me the "that's nice dear" line. She just does not appreciate this car as much as I do! Or maybe I am just too immature... hmmm

:jester:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Hmmm.... so, do you do INSTALLATIONS for all the SKY FAMILY????? lolol.. just kidding.... LOVE THE WAY YOU THINK..... that is how my hubby would be.... YES DEAR... THAT IS NICE.... hehehehe.... but, he would help me do it anyway..... i do beleive someone said at one time that.. he cant say NO to me.. or i havnt heard the word no...... HMMMMMM...SkiHi.. said that i do beleive at my BBQ.... correct me if i am wrong..... oh well..... i like that idea SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
669 Posts
Very nice set-up. Can you get a pic of the radar, too. I know it's tough to be the first one to do something...

Are you sure we're not married to the same woman? :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
qwack said:
Very nice set-up. Can you get a pic of the radar, too. I know it's tough to be the first one to do something...

Are you sure we're not married to the same woman? :D

Never , never doubt what NO ONE IS SURE ABOUT.... lolol...... WILLY WONKA..... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ernest said:
Great choice! I have two Valentine 1's, one still in the box awaiting the AURA.
They are superb in my opinion!!!! Been a lifesaver more than once!!!!
Do those things really work? All I have ever gotten are false alarms and intermittent chirps...never a smokey to be seen.
The wife says I can order an AURA also (thank you, dear). I guess our two other Saturns are relegated to hand-me-downs.
Just checked the price on the Valentine 1's - for that price it ought to call you on the OnStar (Whew!)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
eldeeko said:
Do those things really work? All I have ever gotten are false alarms and intermittent chirps...never a smokey to be seen.
The wife says I can order an AURA also (thank you, dear). I guess our two other Saturns are relegated to hand-me-downs.
Just checked the price on the Valentine 1's - for that price it ought to call you on the OnStar (Whew!)
What are your choices on the AURA. XR? Color? Interior? Options? Congrat's I think you will enjoy the AURA. It is gonna be one sweet ride. :thumbs:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice job. I've thought about getting the remote unit, but I move the unit from car to car. I'll probably just set up with lighter adaper.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ernest said:
What are your choices on the AURA. XR? Color? Interior? Options? Congrat's I think you will enjoy the AURA. It is gonna be one sweet ride. :thumbs:
I haven't had time to even think about it as the wife dropped it on me just yesterday. Ah, now to do a little research..yuk! I think she is a little unsure of herself in the SKY and she wants to pass along my V6 Saturn to my daughter because it has very low mileage. She only drives it 4 miles (round trip) 5 days a week and no summers. I have to take it out and run it a couple hundred miles periodically just to keep the carbon out of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find the Valentine works great. It has many modes.... I use one of the Logic modes that filter out what it thinks are false alarms. I can easily tell the difference between a real and false now too... it just sounds different.

I also move it between vehicles sometimes. All the wiring is done, so I can unclip it up near the mirror in about the same time it would take to unplug it from the cig lighter. It has the phone jack style hookup, so there is only about half an inch of cord visible when the valentine is not there. of course the remote display remains in the car, and stays blank, but I think that is a small price to pay. I will take a photo of the hookup near the mirror once the rain stops. :)

I have had it for a long time... years. Every now and then I log onto the V1 site and type in the serial number. They tell you what new features exist, and whether you should upgrade. They dont recommend I upgreat yet, but there are some new technologies available if I chose too... POP detection and some European stuff... nothing I need yet. I think they want $70 for the latest protection, which while they say they upgrade your detector, in reality they just send you a brand new one. They seem very respected, and yes they are very expensive. I just gotta have my toys, however.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Very nice!!! How much space is behind that spot? I was thinking I might try to add a door lock/unlock button there.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I doubt the troopers are gonna rip out an installed unit. What, get out of the car sir, ah hand me a screwstick, rip, rip, there sir, your good to go......Skip....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, the rain stopped long enough for me to take some photos. Again, I apologize for the poor quality of the cell phone camera. The first is just the radar detector above the mirror, as seen from the driver's seat.

This next photo shows the bracket which holds the valentine, and the wire hanging down. You cannot really see the detector at all from outside of the car, so I had to take them from inside. You can see that the wire length I left is just enough to reach the detector. I go behind the trim pretty much where the onstar wires go in.

another of the detector in place, more from the passenger side, so you can see the wire.

There is PLENTY of room behind the panel in the dash, directly below the radio. The panel pops off (4 clips) and you can slide a whole turkey sandwich in there if you felt so inclined. There is a small piece of silver plastic that sticks up a small bit on the right (the left side has the airbag lights). I cannot see a real purpose for it, and I was prepared to trim it down if it interfered with the install of the remote display. It did not, so I left it alone. I wish I had taken a picture of the opening when I had the panel off. The airbag light cluster is attached to a wire harness with enough room to hang the panel out from the dash a bit after you pulled the panel, or you can simply unplug it (which I did). I used a dremel with a high speed bit to cut out the hole for the display unit. I intended to use a polishing bit to clean it up, but the display ended up covering up any irregularities in my cutting. The display fit in from the front tightly, it will not come out really very easily. It cannot be pushed in from the front, that's for sure. I put painters tape on the front and back of the ABS plastic panel when cutting it, thinking it might protect the plastic from scratching and such. I have no idea if it helped, but it did not hurt, and it gave me a surface to draw my template on. I started doing the trimming at the kitchen table. Don't do this. Millions of tiny pieces of black plastic go everywhere. My wife found it less than amusing. Also wear eye protection. I ended up finishing up outside, and had to take a shower after. I am sure there is a better way to make nice straight cuts, but I dont know what it is. My dremel instruction manual also recommends cutting plastic at a SLOWER speed as it can melt the plastic if too fast. My dremel, however, is only one speed, so I just did it anyhow. I cut from behind, and the little melt I did see did not seem to affect the front of the panel at all. Was I just lucky?

It is good to make the hole smaller and enlarge just as needed. If you want to do this project, PM me about the remote display. I used a modified one, not the one from Valentine themselves. I think the one from them will work fine (its deeper), but the modified one is pretty trick, and the remote mute switch is kinda cool too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Skip said:
I doubt the troopers are gonna rip out an installed unit. What, get out of the car sir, ah hand me a screwstick, rip, rip, there sir, your good to go......Skip....:lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you been through Virginny with a radar detector? Bet you havent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts