Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don’t know if this is a problem per-say, but I have noticed a "hiss" from the speakers even at very low volumes (and mute).

This might be completely normal, but being a bit of an audiophile I’m slightly disappointed. The hiss goes away when you power the radio off -- but as long as it's on I can hear the hiss.

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I don't like the sound of that (no pun intended)... is this while using the AUX input or a FM Modulator? Do you have XM? Set it to a non existant station and see if the hissing exists.

I haven't noticed any hissing (and I too am very picky about my car stereo) but I will check later today.

·
Registered
246 Posts
josh said:
Ok, I don’t know if this is a problem per-say, but I have noticed a "hiss" from the speakers even at very low volumes (and mute).

This might be completely normal, but being a bit of an audiophile I’m slightly disappointed. The hiss goes away when you power the radio off -- but as long as it's on I can hear the hiss.

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas? :confused:
I have the Monsoon and XM and It is clear as a bell. I too am a bit of an audiophile and would really notice this if it was occuring. I would take her back to the dealer and compare. Other Saturn models use this system I believe, so you should have something to compare it to.

I did have to up the maximum volume on my Ipod to work with the AUX input. It does not have the drive through that input and you need to use higher volume on the Monsoon to get similar levels as XM. Boost your Ipod (Nano) in the settings menu.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Clear as a bell here, sounds like you might have some sort of electronic interference. Maybe an unshielded cable or something. Worth getting checked out with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Blow out?

Do you know if a track with heavy bass was played at full volume with bass boosted to max? I made the mistake once of playing a song with very heavy bass track on a factory original stereo in an Acura Legend at full volume with full bass and I think it resulted in a tear in one of the speaker cones - forever after I got a noise from that speaker that was not part of the music being played. If memory serves it was more of a rattling/rustling than a hiss.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I sometimes hear a hissing sound when I get to work and yank the cord out of my iPod, but only if I have the volume cranked up pretty high and the top up. I don't really mind it since it reminds me to turn down the volume before I go inside so I don't annoy anyone when I go out for breaks. Is this a symptom of a problem, and if so, is it something that will get worse? I can live with as long as I know the stereo isn't self-destructing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
No hissing here. I do hear a slight noise when in AUX with my MP3 player not plugged in, but once it is in, it is crystal!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have the same issue. I put in a MP3 CD and told it to sort the tags. The audio went away and I was left with the hiss. Also, I hear it when I park in the garage and the XM signal goes away.

Overall I'm not impressed with the quality of the audio system. It's okay, but not stellar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
brentil said:
Do you have a Nextel cellphone?
I'm not the original poster, but I do have a Nextel cellphone and have occasionally heard hissing. Is there something "known" about the mixture of Nextel and Sky?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SkydiveMike said:
I'm not the original poster, but I do have a Nextel cellphone and have occasionally heard hissing. Is there something "known" about the mixture of Nextel and Sky?
Nextel has nothing to do with it at all... Verison has the cell phone contract with On-Star, myself i have not heard any hissing, but i don;t hear too good anyway according to my wife...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'll look for and post the link later... but check the sol forum... others reported the same ( I am having static when signaling or anytime the dinger goes off)

sol members reported that the dealer needs to "reprogram" the radio. Apparently there is a software update for the radio that will fix the hiss problem.

(feels wierd saying "software update" when referring to a car. showing my age I guess)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Nextel has nothing to do with it at all... Verison has the cell phone contract with On-Star, myself i have not heard any hissing, but i don;t hear too good anyway according to my wife...
Tim that is called selective hearing.. All men have it....Skip.. Did ya say something darlin? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
usmc said:
I'll look for and post the link later... but check the sol forum... others reported the same ( I am having static when signaling or anytime the dinger goes off)

sol members reported that the dealer needs to "reprogram" the radio. Apparently there is a software update for the radio that will fix the hiss problem.

(feels wierd saying "software update" when referring to a car. showing my age I guess)
I flipped out finding out that tha computer has to learn the octane of tha engine.......:cool: Skip.....:lol: :lol: Will tha onboard puter do HBO?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Actually, yes it does have something to do with Nextel which is why I asked. Nextel phones are known to create hissing and popping noises with the stereos in these car. Has to do with their push to talk technology I believe. Several Solstice owners have proved their Nextels will cause sound issues with the radio system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts