Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 07 sky last week. Love it. Two days ago my radio went into lock mode. Today I was at the dealership ship to get a new FOB for the car however the dealership could not get the radio or FOB to communicate with the car. I am thinking there is a wireless receiver somewhere that is off/not working. Any idea where this is or located. Or what fuse to possibly check...

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I purchased an 07 sky last week. Love it. Two days ago my radio went into lock mode. Today I was at the dealership ship to get a new FOB for the car however the dealership could not get the radio or FOB to communicate with the car. I am thinking there is a wireless receiver somewhere that is off/not working. Any idea where this is or located. Or what fuse to possibly check...
First, welcome to the forum.

The radio and RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) are not really related in any way, and both communicate with the rest of the car over the GMLAN network, which is wired, and not wireless.

Has the fob ever (in your week of possession) worked? Were you given any indication about things not working? Along that line, do you have any history on the car?

A weak battery will certainly cause problems, but I have not heard of it preventing communication between modules.

This seems like it may be a connector that has come loose, so knowing what may have been done to the car and what else may not be working would be useful information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The car didn't come with a FOB. That's why I was at the dealership today. And I agree it sounds like a loose connection or a blown fuse. Do you know if the GMLAN system has a fuse?

The car fax was completely clear. Only 12800 miles on it. It's in near mint condition.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Thanks for the info. The car didn't come with a FOB. That's why I was at the dealership today. And I agree it sounds like a loose connection or a blown fuse. Do you know if the GMLAN system has a fuse?

The car fax was completely clear. Only 12800 miles on it. It's in near mint condition.
There is not a central LAN controller that only has that function. The ECM and BCM (Engine and Body Control Modules) are the key components, but if they were not working nothing would.

I can review the service manual tonight to see what looks like a common link between the radio and RCDLR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be fantastic thank you!! I am also going to do a diagnostic test with my computer tonight to see if I can pull any code.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Communication with the RCDLR and the radio is over the Lo-Speed LAN (There is also a Hi-Speed LAN) which is a peer-to-peer network connected by something called a Splice Pack. This diagram is from the '08 manual, but it is roughly the same as the one for the '07 so all of the information it has is correct for your car:

08-11-04 Low Speed LAN.jpg

This is a picture of the Splice Pack in my car, it is attached to the bulkhead to the right of the BCM in the passenger footwell. In case you didn't know, there is a control module under the carpet in the angled part of the floor. Pull the carpet down from the top, pull the plastic panel off of the hook-and-loop that is holding it in place and you will find it.

IMG_20190504_172126319.jpg

I am assuming from your comment that the tech could communicate with everything except the RCDLR and the radio, is that correct?

Do you still have directional signal clicking and warning chimes? Does your radio display change brightness when the auto headlights turn on or off? Data for those functions goes to the radio over the LAN, so if they work the connection should still be good.

There are fault codes associated with loss of communication to various modules. The radio has one, but the RCDLR does not

The RCDLR gets its power from Fuse 10 in the Underhood Fuse Block, labeled S Band/OnStar/RKE

The Radio gets its power from Fuse 23 in the BCM, labeled RDO
The Monsoon Amplifier, if you have it, gets its power from Fuse 6 in the BCM, labeled Amp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!!!! Thanks so much for the info. Truely appreciate it. I checked all the fuses you listed and and all were good. All my lights are good and everything works including onstar. The only button that doesn't work properly is passenger door lock. It will only unlock the car. Driver's side works properly. I ran a diagnostic on the car and 0 codes came back. I was even able to pull the VIN and everything looks good. It's got be one wire or a relay somewhere thats just acting up.

Just very odd. If you find anything else let me know . Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Your door lock problem is either a wire or the switch, probably the switch. The lock control works on a multi-resistance single wire system where the switch has two different resistances built into it and connects the control input to ground through one of them to lock and the other to unlock. Since it works in one direction the wiring and input are both probably okay.

There is no wire or relay that I can find that would cause the communication problem you are having.

One possible issue is unique to the early '07 Sky. Yours is not as early as mine, but the car may think it is an '06. It took me until now to remember that for something I was doing I had to tell the Tech2 that my '07 was an '06. I will check it as soon as I can, it may have been the RCDLR.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
This is a picture of the Splice Pack in my car, it is attached to the bulkhead to the right of the BCM in the passenger footwell. In case you didn't know, there is a control module under the carpet in the angled part of the floor. Pull the carpet down from the top, pull the plastic panel off of the hook-and-loop that is holding it in place and you will find it.
Learn something new every day!. I always wondered what that thing was, but never bothered to look it up. I had assumed is was a connector of some sort - for some specialized diagnostics. Well there ya' go!

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Learn something new every day!. I always wondered what that thing was, but never bothered to look it up. I had assumed is was a connector of some sort - for some specialized diagnostics. Well there ya' go!
My day is complete. Maybe even my week! I have wondered at times if there was anything you didn't know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is your battery voltage? If to low it could cause the radio to quit and your car to lock out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts