Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Sky with the Monsoon radio package. No XM Sat. The dealer said just head over to Circuit City and the can put a "module" behind the radio.

Call CC and they have never seen a Sky and had no idea what I was talking about.
Called several other places and got the same answer.
So I called the dealer parts dept. and said order me a "XM module".

They called GM.
It appears the if you have a Sky without XM there is no way to add XM too it like a factory radio would of came.
So I said fine, Give me a new radio with XM on it. Well thats not an option either! Dealers says they cant do that. Nothing to do with price, but GM says technically that cant be done.

I dont beleive them! LOL

Has anyone here added XM sat to their Sky after they purchased it? I dont mean as an addon component stuck on the dash. I mean added xm to their radios like a factory default using Onstar as the antenna, etc..

Please tell me how to get this done!

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd get a second opinion on not being able to add the XM feature to your current Sky through a Saturn retailler.

I'm guessing there is complications with the ordering of the XM package and registering the service with a car that isn't new at the factory -- but I really would think if you can get the right person on the phone there is a way to add the option after the fact.

·
Registered
669 Posts
1994SC2 said:
I'd get a second opinion on not being able to add the XM feature to your current Sky through a Saturn retailler.

I'm guessing there is complications with the ordering of the XM package and registering the service with a car that isn't new at the factory -- but I really would think if you can get the right person on the phone there is a way to add the option after the fact.
I got the same response from 3 different Saturn dealers...they say it can't be done...:confused:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I suppose worst case you could get a portable XM receiver and use the aux jack on the front of the Monsoon.

But even if you're willing to replace the entire receiver unit, this can not be done?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would have not excepted delivery of the car if it did not have everything you asked to have in it just my .02

·
Registered
52 Posts
I asked this question from the dealer when I ordered my Sky. He basically said that the Radio head contained the Onstar along with the XM, and that if i wanted it, order now otherwise, everything else is add on. In fact, it was the one thing he really pushed for. I would have rather had sirus only because being a wild and crazy buffett fan, XM doesnt have Buffett...... but he has been very straight forward on everything else.... so no reason to doubt it.

Might find someone here on the group changing radios, but as new... wouldnt let CC even near mine when it finally arrives.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
splicer9 said:
I got my Sky with the Monsoon radio package. No XM Sat. The dealer said just head over to Circuit City and the can put a "module" behind the radio.

Call CC and they have never seen a Sky and had no idea what I was talking about.
Called several other places and got the same answer.
So I called the dealer parts dept. and said order me a "XM module".

They called GM.
It appears the if you have a Sky without XM there is no way to add XM too it like a factory radio would of came.
So I said fine, Give me a new radio with XM on it. Well thats not an option either! Dealers says they cant do that. Nothing to do with price, but GM says technically that cant be done.

I dont beleive them! LOL

Has anyone here added XM sat to their Sky after they purchased it? I dont mean as an addon component stuck on the dash. I mean added xm to their radios like a factory default using Onstar as the antenna, etc..

Please tell me how to get this done!

Thanks all
I checked with Chevy parts dept, a Saturn parts guy, and Car Toys, and basically the Sky radios are XM-ready. The problem is the specific XM receiver unit has not been made for '07 models yet. Saturn parts dept. tells me the plug-in module might be out in 6-8 months.
Meanwhile, I'm using a MyFi XM receiver and plugging it in through the MP3 port.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
The radios without XM have a different LED panel then the ones with XM. The XM versions have a more digital face... actual pixels. The base radio has those predesigned LED images. In such, they are not XM ready.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More questions

"Meanwhile, I'm using a MyFi XM receiver and plugging it in through the MP3 port".

Do you mean your plugging into the AUX port on the radio?

Where is your MyFi antenna?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
splicer9 said:
"Meanwhile, I'm using a MyFi XM receiver and plugging it in through the MP3 port".

Do you mean your plugging into the AUX port on the radio?

Where is your MyFi antenna?
Yes plug into the AUX port, you will still need to run your own antenna.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So theres no way to use the Onstar antenna huh?

I just visited Delphi's site and looked a the MYFi.
I dont see where it needs an antenna. Is it built in or they just not mentioning it lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never mind i see it now.
Optional car kit including antenna.

I really didnt want yet another antenna on my Sky.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
splicer9 said:
So theres no way to use the Onstar antenna huh?

I just visited Delphi's site and looked a the MYFi.
I dont see where it needs an antenna. Is it built in or they just not mentioning it lol
There is a similiar product called the Pioneer Airwave that has an antenna built in to the unit (though not as powerful as a car mounted external one -- but if the top is down you should have no problems)

I have the Airwave and its a good little unit with good battery life and a built in FM modulator. Its useful for when you want to go from home to car to golf course... ect.

Check Ebay for a good bundle deal.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
1994SC2 said:
The MYFi and the similiar Pioneer Airwave have an antenna built in to the unit (though not as powerful as a car mounted external one -- but if the top is down you should have no problems)

I have the Airwave and its a good little unit with good battery life and a built in FM modulator. Its useful for when you want to go from home to car to golf course... ect.

Check Ebay for a good bundle deal.
The MYFI does not have an antenna built into it. It has three antenna options availible for it. The personal collar antenna, the home antenna, and the vehicle antenna. It will not get satellite reception without one of these. I have used mine for a little over a year now all over the United States. The newer models released this year do have antennas built into them and when you see any other model that comes with an antenna on it next to the MyFi you will be able to tell the difference.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
The radios without XM have a different LED panel then the ones with XM. The XM versions have a more digital face... actual pixels. The base radio has those predesigned LED images. In such, they are not XM ready.
Are you talking about the BASE radios or the Monsoon radios? My Monsoon radio has a panel with pixels. It does RDS and is capable of displaying actual text on the screen.

Sounds to me like the Monsoons may be XM ready but the standard radios are not.

I have a non-XM equipped Monsoon system and would like to add the factory XM module.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
marklynn70 said:
The MYFI does not have an antenna built into it. It has three antenna options availible for it. The personal collar antenna, the home antenna, and the vehicle antenna. It will not get satellite reception without one of these. I have used mine for a little over a year now all over the United States. The newer models released this year do have antennas built into them and when you see any other model that comes with an antenna on it next to the MyFi you will be able to tell the difference.
Thanks Marklynn, I changed my post. I think the MyFi I rented at the Presidents Cup last year must have had an antenna built in on one of those methods you listed above.

The Airwave does not require an external device but it can help the signal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered a R/L with a base radio with the xm radio option. I hope this option is really available as with xm I don't think the monsoon 6 cd radio is worth $890.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Thanks Marklynn, I changed my post. I think the MyFi I rented at the Presidents Cup last year must have had an antenna built in on one of those methods you listed above.

The Airwave does not require an external device but it can help the signal.
No problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts