Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sky Redline - Manual - Emerald Metallic
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to modify the air induction for my Sky Redline.
The attached PDF describes the Why & How.
This mod allows a direct air flow through the upper fake grill (Saturn Logo) into a fabricated Air Tunnel which culminates into the modified Air Box.
Nice cool outside air is now force fed into the filter box.
There are almost NO NOTICABLE changes to the car's front fascia.
A little bling is added in that the Air Tunnel is lit on the inside.
This mod also addresses lowering the Air Box for Charge Pipe Clearance.
I also added SS Wire Mesh Grills and some Satin Black Paint.

Enjoy!
Strobe
Car Tire Vehicle Grille Hood

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Decided to modify the air induction for my Sky Redline.
The attached PDF describes the Why & How.
This mod allows a direct air flow through the upper fake grill (Saturn Logo) into a fabricated Air Tunnel which culminates into the modified Air Box.
Nice cool outside air is now force fed into the filter box.
There are almost NO NOTICABLE changes to the car's front fascia.
A little bling is added in that the Air Tunnel is lit on the inside.
This mod also addresses lowering the Air Box for Charge Pipe Clearance.
I also added SS Wire Mesh Grills and some Satin Black Paint.

Enjoy!
Strobe
Nice write-up.

For what its worth, I have monitored air temperature at the stock airbox inlet and, except when the car is stationary, the temperature there is within a degree or two of ambient. I have also done flow-bench testing on the stock airbox and was unable to measure any restriction through the Helmholtz Resonator. The stock intake is actually quite efficient.

The resonator exists for sound reduction on the NA, although even with it there isn't a lot of difference without it. It doesn't have any effect at all with the turbo, but was probably used in the interest of part commonality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice write-up.

For what its worth, I have monitored air temperature at the stock airbox inlet and, except when the car is stationary, the temperature there is within a degree or two of ambient. I have also done flow-bench testing on the stock airbox and was unable to measure any restriction through the Helmholtz Resonator. The stock intake is actually quite efficient.

The resonator exists for sound reduction on the NA, although even with it there isn't a lot of difference without it. It doesn't have any effect at all with the turbo, but was probably used in the interest of part commonality.
John,
That is very interesting! Even the closed off grill has little effect on the air induction?

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
John,
That is very interesting! Even the closed off grill has little effect on the air induction?
Nothing that we were ever able to measure. The area around the intake trumpet does get hotter than ambient when the car is sitting still, but the temperature would normally drop to ambient plus 1 or 2 by the time the car was up to speed. You would likely see a benefit if you are drag racing or autocrossing, but as long as you are moving there is enough airflow to keep everything cool.

We assumed that the blanked-off grill was a measure intended to keep water out of the intake when driving at highway speeds in rain, but that is just an assumption.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
It doesn't have any effect at all with the turbo, but was probably used in the interest of part commonality.
The mouse that got loose in our garage really seemed to enjoy storing a winter food supply in it, though.

I have also done flow-bench testing on the stock airbox and was unable to measure any restriction through the Helmholtz Resonator. The stock intake is actually quite efficient.
It's almost, as I've mentioned before, like GM thoroughly tested and thoughtfully designed the under-hood fluid dynamics of these cars, eh? :)

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
The mouse that got loose in our garage really seemed to enjoy storing a winter food supply in it, though.

It's almost, as I've mentioned before, like GM thoroughly tested and thoughtfully designed the under-hood fluid dynamics of these cars, eh? :)
Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone, it would ruin all of their preconceptions.

Reactions: lorennerol

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
John,
The effect you note in the thread title does have a little effect on performance, but with emphasis on little. Ram air is technically defined by stagnation pressure, which is the pressure exerted on an object by the air flow that is impinging directly on it, and that pressure is speed dependent:
  • 50 MPH -> 0.04 PSI
  • 100 MPH -> 0.17 PSI
  • 150 MPH -> 0,39 PSI
So yes, there is some effect, but whether it is detectable as engine performance or not is questionable.

All that said, it is a very nicely done mod, and of course your wtite-up is quite impressive.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Art Font Landscape Pack animal Motor vehicle

The effect you note in the thread title does have a little effect on performance, but with emphasis on little. Ram air is technically defined by stagnation pressure, which is the pressure exerted on an object by the air flow that is impinging directly on it, and that pressure is speed dependent:
  • 50 MPH -> 0.04 PSI
  • 100 MPH -> 0.17 PSI
  • 150 MPH -> 0,39 PSI
So yes, there is some effect, but whether it is detectable as engine performance or not is questionable.

All that said, it is a very nicely done mod, and of course your wtite-up is quite impressive.
ACME does offer the Rocket 🚀 Booster…. In the picture it is being tested by their chief engineer Wile E. Coyote. Not sure of the availability of the mounting kit for the Sky.
The only testing done so far has been in the pursuit of the elusive Roadrunner.

·
Registered
169 Posts
View attachment 118880

ACME does offer the Rocket 🚀 Booster…. In the picture it is being tested by their chief engineer Wiley Coyote. Not sure of the availability of the mounting kit for the Sky.
The only testing done so far has been in the pursuit of the elusive Roadrunner.
Am I the only one that rooted for the Coyote? I always thought the Roadrunner was a bit smug. Also, the Coyote was really, really just trying to stay alive. Guy's gotta eat, right?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Am I the only one that rooted for the Coyote? I always thought the Roadrunner was a bit smug. Also, the Coyote was really, really just trying to stay alive. Guy's gotta eat, right?
FYI, In the cartoon, ACME is eventually revealed as being , “A Wholly-Owned Subsidiary of Roadrunner Corporation.” With apologies to the late Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story.” 😎

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I actually found a large hair ball in the baffles. Check out the pics in the PDF.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should mention; the seat of my pants indicates the short turbo lag is no longer perceptible. I have not had my butt calibrated in years tho!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice write-up.

Totally agree. I did the same measurements, with opened grill, with opened fake fender outlets. Maximum 1 or 2 degrees different, while driving, a bit more, when the car is running stationary.

Plus, the hood can wobble even more, as it already does without the openings, and the air resistance worsens even more...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Would this actually increase the HP of the N/A at highway speeds?
Watching F1 back in the late 90's when they had ram-air inlets, it was commented that this added up to 4% horsepower. However, it was at the high speeds that F1 cars move at, and it's 4% of whatever crazy-high HP those cars produce. So, probably not going to get any usable HP increase here. Neat idea though. It's more "proper".

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
There can be real power improvements effected by getting cold air into engines that weren't getting that with the stock intakes, but ram air is a different thing - looking for added intake pressure due to a scoop collecting air at speed. Any appreciable gain will be noticeable at 100 mph + except that you will end up in jail before you can notice it.

The cold air issue was dealt with quite well by the factory on our cars as was pointed out by several people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts