Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.4 5MT, Chili Pepper Red
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New Sky owner here, having a blast with the car so far. However, as I let off the clutch in first gear to get rolling, I can hear a rattle coming from the rear. As soon as the gear is fully engaged the car behaves as expected and shifts smoothly. For what it's worth, I am quite new to driving a manual, so it's entirely possible that what I'm experiencing is user error. The same thing happens in reverse if I'm not careful with how far I let out the clutch. Just curious if anybody else has something similar happening with their Sky, or could shed some light on what might be causing the noise.

·
Administrator
6,876 Posts
Welcome.

What you are experiencing sounds pretty normal. Mine has been doing the same thing for 110,000 miles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I get a strange rattle too .. Maybe a heat shield for exhaust somewhere ? I remember the heat shield on my moms catalytic converter used to rattle on her Nissan

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
This is the famous "transmission clunk". There are (probably) hundreds of posts on this, especially in the early years on this forum. I always feel embarrassed about it, but as JR said, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Could also be the exhaust system as the engine loads up when you start moving. I have a trailer hitch and a custom exhaust, and the tolerances are pretty tight. I could take it back to Solo and have them get it all aligned perfectly again, but for the past while I just recognize it and ignore it. Just a light thunking and only happens as I take off. If you have a stock exhaust and no under-car mods, this specific thing shouldn't happen (unless one of your exhaust hangers has come loose).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts