Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have rattle in dash, sounds like on the driver's side. Dealer calls it a "churpping" sound. Anyone have this problem and have any suggestions where I should tell the dealer to look?

Had the front left shock replaced and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have something similar in mine. The plastic chrome trim surrounding the instrument bezel vibrates and rattles from time to time. Very annoying but has been intermittent.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I really don't mean to poke fun at your situation but I can't resist thinking of this:

[Tommy carelessly set an open bag of M&M's on the dashboard and they immediately poor into an open slot]
Richard: Oh that sounds good: melted chocolate inside the dash, that really ups the resale value.
Tommy: I think you'll be okay here, they have a thin candy shell. 'Surprised you didn't know that.
Richard: I think your brain has a thick candy shell.
Tommy: Your... Your brain has the shell on it.
Richard: Are you talking?
Tommy: Shut up, Richard.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I sort of have a similar, intermittent noise coming from the dash on the driver's side. Mine sounds more like a 'buzzing' noise...like something is vibrating in the instrument cluster. My hubby thinks it's the shiny black plastic ring around the speedo, because when he places his hand on it, the buzzing stops. :confused: I'm just not sure that I want them ripping into my dash to find it, cuz that seems like it could just make matters worse.

Ok...I need to learn how to read all the posts...:lol: After reading TerpFan's post...sounds like we have the exact same problem. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
nscrbug said:
Mine sounds more like a 'buzzing' noise...like something is vibrating in the instrument cluster.
Does the sound vary when you operate the AC or increase/decrease flow through the vents?

·
Registered
138 Posts
nscrbug said:
I sort of have a similar, intermittent noise coming from the dash on the driver's side. Mine sounds more like a 'buzzing' noise...like something is vibrating in the instrument cluster. My hubby thinks it's the shiny black plastic ring around the speedo, because when he places his hand on it, the buzzing stops. :confused: I'm just not sure that I want them ripping into my dash to find it, cuz that seems like it could just make matters worse.

Ok...I need to learn how to read all the posts...:lol: After reading TerpFan's post...sounds like we have the exact same problem. :banghead:
Same problem and I agree with your husband. My rattling also stops when I grab the speedo. It's very annoying.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Haven't tried grabbing the speedometer, but I will. I have, however, wedged something between the door and the dash on the drivers side, and that stopped it. Of course, that only works till you open the door.

Gave it to the dealer twice to try to find the rattle. Each time they drove it 96 miles and couldn't replicate it. I think they just like taking turns taking my car on test drives. Next time, I will have to go on a test drive with one of them, and I'll probably find out about some really cool restaurant 48 miles from the dealership.

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1994SC2 said:
Does the sound vary when you operate the AC or increase/decrease flow through the vents?
no, the sound seems to be coming from somewhere under the dash and seems to happen when hitting smaller bumps or dips in the road. The mechanic thought it was coming from the glove compartment but it is definitely on the driver's side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
bigd2114 said:
push in the crome bezel easy fix thast what i did now no noise 2000 miles later
I will try that. It almost makes the sound like when the keys rattle while hanging in the ignition but I've held them in my hand and still hear the rattle. Maybe it is the bezel if I thought it was coming from the area of the keys. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Well...I have a totally different noise when I operate the A/C, but that's another thread (which I already have started...:lol: ). No...this dash vibration is definitely originating from the instrument cluster and not the vents.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The only time I got that noise was when I picked her up from having the lo-jack early response installed. I just figured it was from them installing it under the dash. Anyway, it has since gone away.

·
Registered
388 Posts
TerpFan said:
I have something similar in mine. The plastic chrome trim surrounding the instrument bezel vibrates and rattles from time to time. Very annoying but has been intermittent.
Exactly what mine does. If I hold the plastic chrome trim the vibration stops. Very annoying.

·
Registered
388 Posts
bigd2114 said:
push in the crome bezel easy fix thast what i did now no noise 2000 miles later
Hey, I fixed it doing this. Thanks for the hot tip. All I did was push around on the chrome trim and rattle is gone.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
moni6 said:
Hey, I fixed it doing this. Thanks for the hot tip. All I did was push around on the chrome trim and rattle is gone.

Yep...I did too, and it did stop the rattling/buzzing...for a short while...then it came back, so I pushed it in again...:banghead: Guess we'll wait and see how long it will be before the constant pushing on that cheap plastic ends up breaking something...:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts