Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into the garage to pull out the lawn mower and found this.

Apparently the wax ring of the toilet above failed causing this. It drips on the hood of the Sky when flushing that toilet. The bathroom itself is dry as a bone so the water leak is below floor level.

The first thing I did was take pictures, then called our home owners insurance which also provides our auto insurance. We will see how this plays out.

First thing is to get the car out of harms way, then clean it to see if there was any damage to the car. Then repair the toilet leak because the leak itself is not covered. The damage from the leak "is" covered.

I think our Jeep Liberty is okay, but I need to inspect it too.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
Car abuse.

Seriously, I am really sorry to see this.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That sucks. A toilet wax seal though doesn't fail catastrophically and it's probably been leaking for a while, you just didn't notice the staining or the bulge in the drywall.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Divine intervention to have you replace yet another car part? At this rate you'll have a whole new car. Careful insurance doesn't total it out, from what I have heard it doesn't take much with these cars. I moved over to Grundy's agreed value policy to help offset a total loss.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned up the Jeep Liberty and Sky. Both are just as fine as before the accident. The Sky has a few very light abrasions on the hood, possibly from me trying to carefully remove mud mounds. I buffed out so much worse than that. The drywall was screwed to the ceiling, and all the screws stayed up there, so there was no damage from sharp things. The drywall that fell on the car must have landed like a pancake across the hood and windshield so there are no dents either.

So my Sky is okay as seen here just after I cleaned off the drywall mess.

My garage? It needs some work now. Sly Bob is correct. There is mold on what fell and some seem in this picture. The HVAC duct is rusty as well. The problem has obviously been developing for a while. It is my responsibility to repair the leaking toilet at my expense. The insurance company takes it from there to restore what got damaged. They understand that I will be removing anything questionable. Fortunately the water damage occurred in a low-hanging soffit. I believe the worst of the damage is below the main ceiling, but mold spores might be the exception.

Thanks for the compliments on our garage. The high ceiling accommodates our Phoenix Cruiser motor home seen in the initial pictures. I have a gas-fired heater attached to the ceiling in the corner which keeps the garage comfortable and dry during the winter months. It is barely seen in the first picture in the upper-right corner. Needless to say, I love having it when working on vehicles during the winter months.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm glad your cars are ok, I'm sorry your garage isn't. Mold issues are there own battle usually with insurance companies, sometimes they're not even covered depending on the state and the laws unless you have a separate policy. It took my uncle 6 months to get his mold issue remediated completely from a leaky shut off valve under the sink that spread out into the crawl space. Luckily for your part, a toilet seal is easy to fix yourself, unless of course you don't want to then you're looking at about $200+/- to have a plumber remove and reseat a toilet. It takes about 30 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I cleaned up the Jeep Liberty and Sky. Both are just as fine as before the accident. The Sky has a few very light abrasions on the hood, possibly from me trying to carefully remove mud mounds. I buffed out so much worse than that.
Hello? What did I tell you? ...

That'll buff out
:devilish:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
T.S. I know, I know.

Being garbage day is tomorrow, I wanted to get as much nasty out on the curb. This is how far the damage traveled in the one direction.

I have a high velocity fan blowing at the area to rid any 2nd-hand moisture or dampness.

Soon to follow is ripping out to the right of the ladder. I anticipate to the next frame member, but maybe two.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went into the garage to pull out the lawn mower and found this.
View attachment 113059
View attachment 113061
View attachment 113062
Apparently the wax ring of the toilet above failed causing this. It drips on the hood of the Sky when flushing that toilet. The bathroom itself is dry as a bone so the water leak is below floor level.

The first thing I did was take pictures, then called our home owners insurance which also provides our auto insurance. We will see how this plays out.

First thing is to get the car out of harms way, then clean it to see if there was any damage to the car. Then repair the toilet leak because the leak itself is not covered. The damage from the leak "is" covered.

I think our Jeep Liberty is okay, but I need to inspect it too.
[/QUOTE
You were so lucky that you didn’t pull your Sky further forward in the garage, or you’d have possibly some serious damage to your Sky. Perhaps it’s a sign from above (pun intended) that your money pit problems are now behind you...... Perhaps we’ll see you and the money pit one day on a weekend cruise in the country when driving past Santa’s Village.....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If that really was sewage, you might want to change the name of Money Pit to Honey Pit (reference to SE Asia)..........LOL

·
Registered
17,492 Posts
T.S. I know, I know.

Being garbage day is tomorrow, I wanted to get as much nasty out on the curb. This is how far the damage traveled in the one direction.
View attachment 113065
I have a high velocity fan blowing at the area to rid any 2nd-hand moisture or dampness.

Soon to follow is ripping out to the right of the ladder. I anticipate to the next frame member, but maybe two.
But did u repair the leaking toilet...? Do not begin unless u test the bowl

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I now removed all affected drywall and insulation, and the fan blowing up there all the time to evaporate any non-contact moisture. The leak is behind rusty duct work so I have to build up the courage to get my cell phone up in the area while my wife flushes the toilet so I can "video" what is going on. If the water is coming through the pass-thru hole in the floor, then it's most likely the wax ring. If the water originates below floor level, then I likely have to replace a section of PVC below floor level.

There's my sweet little Money Pit.

The water drips right above the heat duct "T" junction where all the rust is. I don't know if I can handle replacing duct work. I can take it down to get to a PVC repair but I may outsource some of the project.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That looks like a Sh***y job

1 - 20 of 29 Posts