Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread should be wheel well. I took delivery of my sky today and drove it home. There was a thumping noise in the rear when coming to a stop in "N" (manual). I took it back and my service manager put it on the lift. The rear tires are rubbing the plastic inner wheel well on the side of the doors. There are rub marks on the plastic. When parked, I cannot place my finger between the tire tread and the plastic. It is too close. Might be a design flaw. Has anyone else experianced this? My service manager took pictures and is calling Saturn.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's a couple of instances of this on the other side.
Doesn't sound like anything I'd pass on the car over.
Get it in to the dealer and they should be able to fix it up.
There's bound to be a few glitches here and there.
Sounds more like tight tolerances and the occasional instance of need for adjustment
rather than a serious design flaw.

Please let us know how it all works out and what you learn.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12723&highlight=tire+rubbing

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As mentioned some Sols have had this issue, but it's not wide spread. Just a part aligntment error it seems.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
If it was a design flaw, it would have never been released my QC or fit and finish. My opinion only. You know they have run the SKY thru the proverbial wringer so to speak, as Brentil sez it more than likely an adjustment/tweak problem. SATURN will make it right, you can count on that.:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your input, I feel better now. The dealer also told me about closing the hood with the doors open, which as been mentioned on this site. It is a no-no. All Saturn dealers received a bulletin about it.

I love the car, just was a bit scary to hear the thumping on the way home from the dealer. Thanks again.:thumbs:

Stu

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ernest said:
If it was a design flaw, it would have never been released my QC or fit and finish. My opinion only. You know they have run the SKY thru the proverbial wringer so to speak, as Brentil sez it more than likely an adjustment/tweak problem. SATURN will make it right, you can count on that.:thumbs: :thumbs:

ya, cause design flaws never make it to the public. hehe
hehe, sorry ernest, I couldn't resist...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, for now I am going to wait to hear from the dealer. Lets see what Saturn says. I am sure they are going to do a fix under warranty.

Otherwise, the car is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thanks Stu for the info. Although this is forum is NOT sponsored by Saturn, I know people are reading, so it's a plus-plus. Keeping us in the know and addressing it so Saturn knows. Good lookin' out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked it up on Wednesday last week and have been away on business since. Only have 35 miles on it. I plan to drive it when I return, and will get an update from the dealer then.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tire Rubbing................

THANKS FOR THE INFO ! MY PLANS ARE A LONG TRIP WHEN MY SKY ARRIVES SO I WILL ASK TO HAVE THIS CHECKED BEFORE LEAVING . THANKS AGAIN :cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
Thread should be wheel well. I took delivery of my sky today and drove it home. There was a thumping noise in the rear when coming to a stop in "N" (manual). I took it back and my service manager put it on the lift. The rear tires are rubbing the plastic inner wheel well on the side of the doors. There are rub marks on the plastic. When parked, I cannot place my finger between the tire tread and the plastic. It is too close. Might be a design flaw. Has anyone else experianced this? My service manager took pictures and is calling Saturn.
Mine is fine, not problems with anything like that

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

I spoke to my service manager today. He spoke to Saturn. Saturn says it is an issue with the alignment and caster adjustment. As noted in this forum, they have had the same issues with the Solstice. I am bringing the car in on Monday, as they will adjust the alignment and replace my wheel wells (which are now scuffed).

I was also told that the Saturn rep checked a few of their test cars and they showed scuffs on their wheel wells also. I suggest all Sky owners check their wheel wells for scuffs, even if they don't hear any thumps.

I am very happy with the way Saturn is handling the situation, and I am being offered a loaner car while the Sky is in for repair. :thumbs:

Will keep you updated

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New update.

I just got the car back from the dealer today. The Saturn dealer was great and put me in a loaner car and treated me well. But, my car did roll off the factory with the camber and alignment way out of spec. This caused the wheels to rub the wheel well. This disappointed me.:nonod:

Also, I do have to take it back when the new plastic wheel wells come in because the ones I have are damaged from the rubbing. They are on order. Also, I need new weather stripping on the inside of the trunk where it meets the rear window, it does not fit well when I close the truck.

The car is fine otherwise, other than some rattles while driving. Sort of soured my thoughts on the car a little bit. It just worries me what else will go wrong. I only have 215 miles on it. :confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I am the only one who had an issue with the alignment. Oh well, an misaligned sky is better than no sky at all.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
I guess I am the only one who had an issue with the alignment. Oh well, an misaligned sky is better than no sky at all.:thumbs:
I would bet you are not the only one with the problem -- since only a fraction of SKY owners post here (the best ones I might add).
We Who Wait{WWW} (my new SKY club name) thank you for your frankness and willingness to share what you find wrong as well as right. This will keep us on our toes and help if we have this same problem (and we can suggest a fix as well!)
Well done Stu; WWW honors you and the other reviewing SKY owners!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks! I will continue to inform all of you once I get the new wheel wells installed and the weather stripping replaced. Parts should arrive sometime next week. :)

I am feeling better today, I still LOVE the car.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts