Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is gonna be my first rear traction car so I was wondering if there is something special I should know before I get mine especially in winter(I live in Montreal)and in general as well .Any advices ???

thanks !:cheers:

·
Registered
94 Posts
God do I feel old ! I remember the exact same question about driving front wheel drive cars back in the 70's !!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what is it suppose to mean ?? you're too old or this is a stupid question ??lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Rear Wheel cars hav a tendency to fishtail in icy and snowy conditions. If the car fishtails correct it by turning the wheel the same direction the rear end is sliding. If the car fish tails left (the rear end slides left) turn the wheel left. Putting weight in the trunk should help with the traction.

I would suggest during the first snow fall find an empty parking lot and practice going into slides and pulling yourself out of them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I find front wheel cars terrible in the snow and ice. Perhaps I never got used to driving them as I have had mostly RWD vehicles. I hate the feeling of turning right and goin straight.. I can deal with fishtails -- at least you are going in the right direction...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much exactly the type of answer I was looking for ! I've noticed that you've been very helpful to a lot of us on this forum......so thank you for your generosity:cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chyno said:
thank you very much exactly the type of answer I was looking for ! I've noticed that you've been very helpful to a lot of us on this forum......so thank you for your generosity:cheers:

richmcc

·
Registered
304 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I find front wheel cars terrible in the snow and ice. Perhaps I never got used to driving them as I have had mostly RWD vehicles. I hate the feeling of turning right and goin straight.. I can deal with fishtails -- at least you are going in the right direction...
Complete opposite of me, I prefer FWD and am concerned about this one in the snow.

The bigger concern is probably with it being so low to the ground during heavy snowfalls, that's why I'm looking for my first used car for the winter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
chyno said:
So what is it suppose to mean ?? you're too old or this is a stupid question ??lol
Oh Sorry (wasn't much help was I ):confused: There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm just way too old. Back when frontwheel drive first came out there were the same concerns because handling a skid is much different between the two. I had to run out to the dentist and now I see others have already given you the info you needed so I won't belabor the point.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I live on the outskirts of Chicago city limits, so I too have to deal with snow...and at times a LOT of it...so it was a concern of mine also. I used to drive an 89 Camaro which was rear wheel drive...you wanna talk about fishtailing?!?! :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: I will probably drive my Sky when the snow isn't bad...an inch or so. But anything over that, and I will have to break out our Nissan Murano. I'm trying to find a way to keep my current car...a 99 VW Beetle, as my winter car...but we only have a 2 car garage so I would need to find some garage space to rent. Don't know if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OISky said:
Oh Sorry (wasn't much help was I ):confused: There's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm just way too old. Back when frontwheel drive first came out there were the same concerns because handling a skid is much different between the two. I had to run out to the dentist and now I see others have already given you the info you needed so I won't belabor the point.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
chyno said:

Well in between my rants about Dealers going over MSRP and making stupid wisecracks, I try to return the help that was given to me on this board.

I appreciate your comments, however I am no different than most people on this board, many who are much more constructive and supportive than myself.

Excuse while I go blush in private
:leaving:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
her sky said:
why would you want to drive this baby in the winter? still waiting in ottawa

I do mostly highway montreal -toronto so its not that bad ...i guess

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Sky shouldn't be too hard to drive in the winter- just wait for the plows to move the snow back. I am looking forward to trying it because if I get stuck, at least I can say it's due to the size... I got stuck a couple years ago on a rather small, 6 inch tall, pile of snow between parking spaces- but in my mini-van. My helpful brother-in-law just drove back in forth over the same pile a little farther down from me with his jeep and kept yelling out the window "can't you do this???".:mad: After a nice flying bird, he pushed me out.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
It has been my experience that if you have the limited slip differential installed, that car will fishtail in the snow/ice quicker than withOUT the LSD installed.

But, as was asked earlier, WHY WOULD YOU BE DRIVING THIS IN THE SNOW?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Doesn't Matter

Overall it really doesn't matter. It is all in how YOU drive. If you are cautious you shouldn't have any problems. I once drive in the rain, yes rain, in "sunny So. California" I was able to pass a lot of foolish :crazy: :cuss: drives who stalled their vehicles by driving too fast and splashing up water. I took it easy and got through. The water was up past the headlights :yesnod: and I did it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
"I used to drive an 89 Camaro which was rear wheel drive...you wanna talk about fishtailing?!?!"

I had a 95 Mustang.... I Think my bike handles better in the snow

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
vstar said:
"I used to drive an 89 Camaro which was rear wheel drive...you wanna talk about fishtailing?!?!"

I had a 95 Mustang.... I Think my bike handles better in the snow
:agree: :lol: :lol: ROTFLMAO!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
her sky said:
why would you want to drive this baby in the winter? still waiting in ottawa
Because the one day of summer on Canada Day isn't long enough to make the purchase worthwhile ! :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts