Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday found a spot of oil on the driveway...wasn't sure if it was from my car though....Did some errands and parked my car in another location in the driveway....:eek: Yep, it was my Sky <sigh>. Reached under and felt around the front of the rearend.......and Yep again...t was covered with rearend dope (gave it the smell test)...... Car only has 1800 mile's on it. Took it into the dealer today.. If I get anything of importance from the dealer I'll post it for ya all

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
phonejack1 said:
On Saturday found a spot of oil on the driveway...wasn't sure if it was from my car though....Did some errands and parked my car in another location in the driveway....:eek: Yep, it was my Sky <sigh>. Reached under and felt around the front of the rearend.......and Yep again...t was covered with rearend dope (gave it the smell test)...... Car only has 1800 mile's on it. Took it into the dealer today.. If I get anything of importance from the dealer I'll post it for ya all
Been there, done that:D It is traumatic buit fixable. Have your dealer overnite the seal and a couple of hours on the lift and you are on your way. Do you LSD or single track? Serenity has LSD, would like to see if it is common to one or both differentials.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
phonejack1 said:
sounds like the dreaded rear end seal, the solstices have had this problem alot... so far with over 7500 miles i have no leak....do you have the LSD?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
Been there, done that:D It is traumatic buit fixable. Have your dealer overnite the seal and a couple of hours on the lift and you are on your way. Do you LSD or single track? Serenity has LSD, would like to see if it is common to one or both differentials.
great minds think alike earnest...LOL:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Be sure that the service tech adds the additive required on lSD differentials. I don't have the P/N with me at the moment. It is added along with the standard rear oil. It is specifically for the LSD. Your parts dept should have the info.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
Be sure that the service tech adds the additive required on lSD differentials. I don't have the P/N with me at the moment. It is added along with the standard rear oil. It is specifically for the LSD. Your parts dept should have the info.:thumbs:
i think it is a synthetic also for long life...:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Might not necessarily be the seal, could be an improperly seated relief valve or an over filled differential.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have a recently divorced friend who had the stealership change his differential twice before he realized it wasn’t his car that was leaking on the driveway…:rolleyes:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
wt2ga said:
I have a recently divorced friend who had the stealership change his differential twice before he realized it wasn’t his car that was leaking on the driveway…:rolleyes:
Was it his ex-wife?

·
Registered
3 Posts
brentil said:
Might not necessarily be the seal, could be an improperly seated relief valve or an over filled differential.
Yep, just got back from the dealer. Verdict was relief valve. So far it has been only a small leak. Dealer says ok to drive while they wait for a part.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
clamato said:
Yep, just got back from the dealer. Verdict was relief valve. So far it has been only a small leak. Dealer says ok to drive while they wait for a part.
Awesome, easy fix and not a real major problem. :thumbs:

·
Registered
326 Posts
My Valve changed...still leaks

clamato said:
Had my relief valve changed a few weeks ago and still have leak puddles on my garage floor. What a hazzle!! Dealer not sure what do do. They tell me it is not the seal, but the valve.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Sunny Ragtop said:
Had my relief valve changed a few weeks ago and still have leak puddles on my garage floor. What a hazzle!! Dealer not sure what do do. They tell me it is not the seal, but the valve.
Leaking after a replaced seal and valve is still possible. If the dealer over filled the differential then the relief valve is doing its job by relieving excess fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
P/N for LSD additive???

I had the oil leak on my sky with lsd and had it fixed, not a big deal, I just want to make sure they added the correct oil to the diff with the lsd. Did anyone get the P/N for the additive. My service reciept only shows the following inthe parts list:

Lubricant - 12378514 - Qty 2-

I am having the dealer look into it as well, but if anyone could check their reciepts to see if they have a different part number that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Sunny Ragtop said:
They should just go ahead and change the seal, my dealer did just that and no problems since. They need to go straight to the heart of the matter.

·
Registered
540 Posts
wt2ga said:

that is hysterical :lol: I wonder if the wife knew all along that is was her boyfriends car and not the husbands with the leak??? I can just hear her saying "gee honey that is too bad about your car, I can drop you off at work" oh my........ummm does your car have a leak ???? You know how often its the "best friend" :jester:

·
Registered
5 Posts
please check rocker panels for cracks. My sky has been in 3 times and now going in 4th time for same problem. What i am getting at is that my car has been lifted 15 times or so for correction of problem. Dealer is not taking any responsibility for body cracks I have contacted Saturn Canada.
My email is [email protected]
Cathy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts