Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts are scarce, yet other GM parts are the same....with some elbow grease. The top edge of mine was crappy.

Search Ebay for a good looking Impala rear view mirror. part number 015885 . Make sure the pics are clear and the mirror is pristine. It has no map lights but the mirror is identical. I found mine for $28 shipped.

Remove with torx tip on screw driver from windshield.. Unplug wire harness.

The hardest part is separating the front bezel from the back housing. I used a butter knife and found it to be the least damaging to the plastic. I found it was easier to start from the bottom.
There are 3 clips that hold the mirror to the logic board. The windshield mount will rotate back and unsnap the night vision lever from the clips.
Comes apart easy.
Now do the same for the replacement mirror assembly you just bought. There are minor differences. You want to keep the new mirror and windshield arm attachment but there clips and a post to cut off. See the green marked pcs? Cut them off and your old board will snap back in fine. Reassembly is easy. Looks like new! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would be better off at TWIN PEAKS for more excitement. And if u don't know what Twin Peaks is....use your imagination.
Twin peaks are overshadowed by a much wider and bigger mountain below.....:frown:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I must be missing something...why not just replace the entire mirror? I replaced my mirror with an autodim unit from eBay, I think I paid about $30 for it.

What I'm eyeing now is replacing it with the mirror that comes in the latest generation Camaro and Corvette, by far a much nicer looking item. The main issue is it lacks the map lights, which are the only source of interior lighting for the car...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The original posting takes just the identical mirror-only part for less than $30 and replaces the just mirror part in our Sky.
I still have my original map lights on the assembly....

·
Registered
982 Posts
Great post! A lot of us have changed the rear view mirror to an HHR mirror or something else. Frankly though I really haven't heard of anyone having their mirror delaminate and don't know that it's a big problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great post! A lot of us have changed the rear view mirror to an HHR mirror or something else. Frankly though I really haven't heard of anyone having their mirror delaminate and don't know that it's a big problem.
Why would I want to delaminate my rearview mirror? I'm unclear on what the difference is.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Why would I want to delaminate my rearview mirror? I'm unclear on what the difference is.
You are joking, right?

Just in case you're not, this is a fix for IF your mirror delaminates - i.e. the silver backing corrodes or comes away from the glass, so it don't work so good any more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mirror in my '07 is delaminating, but I plan on replacing it with an autodimming one without OnStar.
Keep in mind,
If you replace the whole unit you will lose the lights on the bottom.

Here is what I mean by de-laminating....almost like water got between the two pcs of glass.
It has been growing longer along the edge. I had to turn it upside down to get a clearer pic of it

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep in mind,

Here is what I mean by de-laminating....almost like water got between the two pcs of glass.
It has been growing longer along the edge. I had to turn it upside down to get a clearer pic of it
GJinNY,
Nice write-up. I just got the car and mine was like yours (just a little worse), but on the top and bottom. Your write-up was just a little late, because I just bought one :smile:.

Thanks
SatSky

·
Registered
346 Posts
Keep in mind,

Why would I need to lose the lights?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OEM-GNTX-221-NO-Compass-Auto-Dimming-LED-Map-Light-Rear-View-Mirror/163214467959?hash=item2600572377:g:XqMAAOSwMudbfKhC

Auto dimming with LED lights.

Another option that has a compass:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Dimming-Compass-LED-Map-Lights-Rear-View-Mirror-Donnelly-P-E13-010404/232714984961?hash=item362ee4de01:g:5sgAAOSwNOJavRya

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Neither of those appear to be plug-and-play for our cars, but there is a GM mirror that's auto dim, with the map lights, that is. The wire for the autodim isn't in the stock harness, but I jumped it to the switched power with a little piece of wire and it works fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You are correct, it would not be plug in play. IIRC, they use the same pins though, so it would be as simple as re-pinning the connector.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Neither of those appear to be plug-and-play for our cars, but there is a GM mirror that's auto dim, with the map lights, that is. The wire for the autodim isn't in the stock harness, but I jumped it to the switched power with a little piece of wire and it works fine.
You are correct, it would not be plug in play. IIRC, they use the same pins though, so it would be as simple as re-pinning the connector.

No, not correct. It IS plug and play for the equivalent mirror functionality. You only need to modify the factory plug to enable the additional functionality of the auto-dim (and compass, etc if present). But you could just as easily do that at a later date.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No, not correct. It IS plug and play for the equivalent mirror functionality. You only need to modify the factory plug to enable the additional functionality of the auto-dim (and compass, etc if present). But you could just as easily do that at a later date.
Right, I was talking about the mirror in my ebay ads which have a different connector. It's the flat 10 (I think) pin instead of the rectangular 18 (again, I think) pin.

Is there a No On Star, Lighted and auto dimming mirror that will plug-n-play as far as the connector goes?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Right, I was talking about the mirror in my ebay ads which have a different connector. It's the flat 10 (I think) pin instead of the rectangular 18 (again, I think) pin.

Is there a No On Star, Lighted and auto dimming mirror that will plug-n-play as far as the connector goes?
Yes, there are many. The HHR mirror does (and has a compass too). Old Impala (early 2000's) do as well (mine was: 00 - 06 IMPALA REAR VIEW MIRROR W/ MAP LIGHTS ONSTAR (390085399227 )) - these look the same as the OEM mirror, with exception of a microphone input on the bottom (and the autodim sensor windows too, of course). The HHR ones have LED lights that are a bit dimmer than ours, but don't have the mic. wart. There are other GM cars that use the same plug and lights too. You juts have to search eBay and verify in the photos that it will match connectors and has the lights etc.

... and here, how too overcome the dim LEDs in HHR mirrors: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/those-hhr-rearview-mirrors-don-t-put-up-dim-yellow-maplights-x-post-53570/

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, there are many. The HHR mirror does (and has a compass too). Old Impala (early 2000's) do as well (mine was: 00 - 06 IMPALA REAR VIEW MIRROR W/ MAP LIGHTS ONSTAR (390085399227 )) - these look the same as the OEM mirror, with exception of a microphone input on the bottom (and the autodim sensor windows too, of course). The HHR ones have LED lights that are a bit dimmer than ours, but don't have the mic. wart. There are other GM cars that use the same plug and lights too. You juts have to search eBay and verify in the photos that it will match connectors and has the lights etc.

... and here, how too overcome the dim LEDs in HHR mirrors: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/those-hhr-rearview-mirrors-don-t-put-up-dim-yellow-maplights-x-post-53570/
Thank you, I didn't realize that the HHR could be had without On Star but there are plenty of those mirrors out there it appears (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-View-Mirror-06-Chevy-HHR-W-O-Onstar-W-Automatic-Dim-Headlamps-OPT-Dd8/323238851727?fits=Model:HHR&hash=item4b4289748f:g:EBQAAOSwRdta60MQ)

Makes the swap a lot easier

·
Registered
587 Posts
Parts are scarce, yet other GM parts are the same....with some elbow grease. The top edge of mine was crappy.

Search Ebay for a good looking Impala rear view mirror. part number 015885 . Make sure the pics are clear and the mirror is pristine. It has no map lights but the mirror is identical. I found mine for $28 shipped.

Remove with torx tip on screw driver from windshield.. Unplug wire harness.

The hardest part is separating the front bezel from the back housing. I used a butter knife and found it to be the least damaging to the plastic. I found it was easier to start from the bottom.
There are 3 clips that hold the mirror to the logic board. The windshield mount will rotate back and unsnap the night vision lever from the clips.
Comes apart easy.
Now do the same for the replacement mirror assembly you just bought. There are minor differences. You want to keep the new mirror and windshield arm attachment but there clips and a post to cut off. See the green marked pcs? Cut them off and your old board will snap back in fine. Reassembly is easy. Looks like new! :cool:
Hi GJinNY,

Thank you for posting this. I am going to give your project a try. My Sky mirror is significantly messed up, both along the top and bottom edges. I am also considering switching to LED light bulbs because I understand some of the cause for the delamination is related to the heat from the standard incandescent bulbs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts