Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've got a Redline on order (should get it in December) and I'm wondering if there's a Diverter Valve used to route excess turbo boost...

Reason I ask is I have a Forge 007 DV from my last car and it sounds reeeeeeeally nice.

Anyone with a Redline,can you take a peek under the hood and find out? It's probably near the MAF/turbo.

Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
All turbo cars have a blow off valve, however most OEM cars recirculate the air back into the intake. The problem with venting to the atmosphere is that you're releasing air that has already been seen by the MAF, so the car runs rich for a second, and can sometimes stall.

I wouldn't use it unless it's a recirculating BOV. If it is, there should be no issues that I see right now.

·
Registered
684 Posts
When I picked up my Red Line last friday the guy's at the dealership all heard the Blow Off Valve. I couldn't hear it until my son drove off in it..then I heard it. It's not loud but it is there and mine is a automatic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically, there's no replaceable valve here?

·
Registered
166 Posts
So basically, there's no replaceable valve here?
Yes, there is. The stock one is really quiet though. It's like backwardsland you can hear the turbo spool super clear and it sounds awesome but there's no pssth when you let off the gas. I guess I got spoiled by my DSM with the Tial though.

Also many turbo equipped cars didn't come with a BOV at all. The most famous being the Buick Grand National. Auto cars don't really 'need' a BOV at all though since they don't have the constant throttle plate snapping that manual cars do.

·
Registered
380 Posts
All turbo cars have a blow off valve, however most OEM cars recirculate the air back into the intake. The problem with venting to the atmosphere is that you're releasing air that has already been seen by the MAF, so the car runs rich for a second, and can sometimes stall.

I wouldn't use it unless it's a recirculating BOV. If it is, there should be no issues that I see right now.
This sounds like what some of the RL members have been talking about. Lots of carbon build up from being too rich and some stalling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, a Diverter Valve is just another name for a Recirculating Blow Off Valve. I understand that a typical BOV vents excess boost to the atmosphere which isn't good unless the engine was tuned that way.

I'll take a look under the hood as soon as I get my R/L

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the turbo for you.

Everything is so shiny. I wonder how long before it's covered in rust :(

The second picture isn't very clear but you can see how it's attached a little bit better. I didn't want to burn anything since the engine was hot so it's not of the best quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics, looks like everyone was right... the valve is built into the turbo housing and isn't easily replacable.

DAMN!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts