Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with my salesperson at the biggest volume dealer in the country....

The Redlines for the first 3 people on the list with the deposit in have had their cars ordered....last week. It takes 3 months from time of order until delivery. They should have their cars in October.

I am 5th on the list, so mine should be ordered in the next couple weeks. I will hope for my car in November...wish I could have had it while there was still a little Summer left, but nothing to complain about...I'm in Southern California.:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
akinmb said:
Just got off the phone with my salesperson at the biggest volume dealer in the country....

The Redlines for the first 3 people on the list with the deposit in have had their cars ordered....last week. It takes 3 months from time of order until delivery. They should have their cars in October.

I am 5th on the list, so mine should be ordered in the next couple weeks. I will hope for my car in November...wish I could have had it while there was still a little Summer left, but nothing to complain about...I'm in Southern California.:cool:
galpin aka saturn of the valley? I know they're the highest volume for FoMoCo but I don't know if that carries over to saturn...

·
Registered
17 Posts
akinmb said:
The Redlines for the first 3 people on the list with the deposit in have had their cars ordered....last week.
There's a big difference between "orders placed" and "allocations received." There have been no known RL allocations received by any dealer yet as Saturn hasn't lifted the RL option constraint. A handful (less than 150+/-) GXP's were allocated on 6/26. The next allocation cycle is this Thursday, July 13 so we'll see how many GXPs and RLs get allocated. There were no allocations on the two Thursdays in between because of the Summer plant shut-down.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
BarryH said:
There's a big difference between "orders placed" and "allocations received." There have been no known RL allocations received by any dealer yet as Saturn hasn't lifted the RL option constraint. A handful (less than 150+/-) GXP's were allocated on 6/26. The next allocation cycle is this Thursday, July 13 so we'll see how many GXPs and RLs get allocated. There were no allocations on the two Thursdays in between because of the Summer plant shut-down.
I heard a "rumor" that when they start production on the GXP they will be making between 30-40 GXP'S a day. So if that's the case I would think they would make 15-20 Red Lines a day once they go into production.

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
Got our Prelimary NUMBER!

Wow...today our Saleman called to give us our Prelim number...I know its just a prelim...but its one step closer to getting our RL!!! WE'RE IN THE SYSTEM!

PRELIM Number KGRXTO!! 7/11/06:cheers:

I'M SOOO EXCITIED!:D

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Got my Prelim # today too!! :thumbs:

The wait begins!!

Dale.
Prelim Order #KGSKP1
Midnight Blue
Black/Tan
5-spd
6disc Monsoon
Splash Guards

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
akinmb said:

Are you getting it at MSRP? Are they forcing you to buy any addons? I know that the people that placed orders for there standard Skys were able to get it at MSRP without forced add-ons.

They also are selling Sky's on the floor while there are still people on there standard Sky List waiting to get there car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not msrp in cali...

Every dealership I've called in Socal is adding a $2995 alarm system...no way around it. Kind of a hosing, but I'll take it, this car is way too sweet to pass up.

·
Super Moderator
11,487 Posts
akinmb said:
Every dealership I've called in Socal is adding a $2995 alarm system...no way around it. Kind of a hosing, but I'll take it, this car is way too sweet to pass up.
[Jack Sparrow voice] Clearly you didn't call Saturn of Riverside. [/Jack Sparrow voice]

Might have to go talk to them about a RL.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're absolutely right...

Robotech said:
[Jack Sparrow voice] Clearly you didn't call Saturn of Riverside. [/Jack Sparrow voice]

Might have to go talk to them about a RL.
Thank you Robo... I just got off the phone with Riverside... you're absolutely right...they are not installing the alarm system...the only thing is they aren't even taking the deposits yet....the dealership I'm with is already receiving images for Redlines...I'm number 5 on the list. In Riverside there are 20+ peeps on the list, without deposits..so I don't know what that means.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a Preliminary number on a copy of a GM OrderWORKBENCH sheet dated 06/17/06.

The race is on!

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
Even though our salesman said that they only sell their cars at MSRP..
when we did our workbench order we wrote on the sheet "to be sold at factory MSRP" and got a copy of it...(just incase) the only dealership addition was a coating or sealant for $499.00 (we agreed to it)....our salesman said they put that coating on all the new cars they sell and it was well worth it.. he wrote that on the workbench order as well ....that should be it....and of course the extras that we ordered.... like spoiler, automatic...chromies...etc....:)

I hope we dont get shocked when it finally arrives:eek: I don't know if we'd have any legal recourse if they try to increase the price...being that the clause is on the order....I'm a bit scared seeing that the Base Sky MSRP prices are being Jacked up....and the RL's are comming out with a limited production of only 5K:eek:

But I'm hopeful we'll be treated right....and they keep their word....so far so good..we've had great commuication with our salesman!:thumbs:

·
Registered
17 Posts
akinmb said:
...the dealership I'm with is already receiving images for Redlines...
Not to rain on your parade, but this isn't true. "Image" = "allocation." There have been no RLs allocated as of today. Saturn is handling the RL as an "option" rather than a distinct model. In other words, to create an RL, a dealer has to order a base Sky and then add on the RL option. During the ordering and production process, GM/Saturn periodically "constrain" certain options - mostly due to limited availability. The RL option on the Sky has been constrained since the option was introduced in VOMS. Every Thursday, dealers receive their allocations and a report on any constraints for that week. Tomorrow dealers will find out how many Sky allocations they'll be getting for this week's order period and whether or not the RL option is still constrained. If your dealer gets a base Sky allocation tomorrow, and the constraint for the RL has been lifted, it would be his first "image" as you put it. This ordering process is consistent for all GM dealers and they all use the same systems to track and process orders. Hope this makes sense.

Something else to consider is that Saturn Corporate is apparently beginning to punish dealers (regardless of size) that violate the Saturn sales philosophy by selling above MSRP (including charging $3K for a $299 alarm system). If this is true, being further down the list at an ethical dealer might get you a car faster than being a higher on the list with a dealer Saturn's unhappy with.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Barry, this matches what I understood my salesman to be saying.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BarryH said:
Not to rain on your parade, but this isn't true. "Image" = "allocation." There have been no RLs allocated as of today. Saturn is handling the RL as an "option" rather than a distinct model. In other words, to create an RL, a dealer has to order a base Sky and then add on the RL option. During the ordering and production process, GM/Saturn periodically "constrain" certain options - mostly due to limited availability. The RL option on the Sky has been constrained since the option was introduced in VOMS. Every Thursday, dealers receive their allocations and a report on any constraints for that week. Tomorrow dealers will find out how many Sky allocations they'll be getting for this week's order period and whether or not the RL option is still constrained. If your dealer gets a base Sky allocation tomorrow, and the constraint for the RL has been lifted, it would be his first "image" as you put it. This ordering process is consistent for all GM dealers and they all use the same systems to track and process orders. Hope this makes sense.

Something else to consider is that Saturn Corporate is apparently beginning to punish dealers (regardless of size) that violate the Saturn sales philosophy by selling above MSRP (including charging $3K for a $299 alarm system). If this is true, being further down the list at an ethical dealer might get you a car faster than being a higher on the list with a dealer Saturn's unhappy with.
I understand what you're saying. Now, the salesman I have my order with explained they have put in the orders for the top 3 people on the list at the dealership for the RLs. I called another dealer who said they won't be putting in the orders for some time. The dealer who hasn't been putting in the orders will not be adding the $2995 alarm system. That dealer also has not been taking deposits yet for the RL's and they have 20+ people on the list for them. It seems to me that the people who are willing to pay more will be the first ones in the RL's...bottom line. Do I pay the extra money for the security system (I know I want it and I know I could get it for much less) and get my car within 3-4 months.... or do I go to the other dealer who seems pretty much clueless about when the cars will be available and hope I get one of these gems in 6 months?... if that....I've heard some pretty horrible stories of people waiting with no end in sight as to getting their baseline sky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
akinmb said:
I understand what you're saying. Now, the salesman I have my order with explained they have put in the orders for the top 3 people on the list at the dealership for the RLs.

you don't understand. ;) There have been no orders placed for RLs, anywhere. none, nada, zero, zilch. Most likely they're referring to Preliminary orders which are not orders that have been picked up to be built. What riverside is telling you is that they're not even taking orders and placing preliminary. That doesn't make them clueless, that just makes them unwilling to deal with the headache of customers wondering when their cars are coming. They've chosen to wait until they can actually place an official order to take their customer's money.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
921 Posts
Red Line order.

Just ordered yeaterday. The quote is est. March. But the reality is that there are no allocations yet so they are just guessing. I ordered from a very good dealer in the San Antonio area. They did put my order in, however. I think I am around 5th.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
care to place a wager....

sqweak said:
you don't understand. ;) There have been no orders placed for RLs, anywhere. none, nada, zero, zilch. Most likely they're referring to Preliminary orders which are not orders that have been picked up to be built. What riverside is telling you is that they're not even taking orders and placing preliminary. That doesn't make them clueless, that just makes them unwilling to deal with the headache of customers wondering when their cars are coming. They've chosen to wait until they can actually place an official order to take their customer's money.
I'd gladly bet $10 that Dealer A (the one taking the $1000 deposits) gets RLs ahead of Dealer B (the one not yet taking the deposits).

I've put myself on Dealer B's list as well. I'm guessing it'll be about a year before Dealer B sees their first RL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
akinmb said:
I'd gladly bet $10 that Dealer A (the one taking the $1000 deposits) gets RLs ahead of Dealer B (the one not yet taking the deposits).

I've put myself on Dealer B's list as well. I'm guessing it'll be about a year before Dealer B sees their first RL.
Both dealer "A" and dealer "B" are free to put thousands of RL orders in to VOMS. There's no relationship between orders input in to the system by a dealer and the number of allocations they receive. Some dealers maintain their order lists outside of VOMS on paper. When they receive an allocation, they then modify the allocation to reflect the options and choices of the next person on their list. Whether the dealer maintains orders on or offline is irrelevant. It's whether dealer "A" or "B" receives allocations that determine whether or not they can fulfill orders. Saturn/GM has no idea (or cares) what happens at the dealer level so your $1K deposit means nothing to them. This is how the process works whether you choose to believe it or not.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
All preliminary orders are floating around waiting to be pulled in by the plant. when production does in fact begin, all prelim orders with Pri 01 status willbe pulled in and built, followed by 02, 03 etc. The rule of thumb here is just to sit back and wait for Fall, when they will start arriving at dealers. They did this Spring for the base SKY's and will bet the farm it will happen the same way this Fall for the R/L. Okay, you start throwing the rocks!!!!:lol: :lol: :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts