Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I lurk this forum every now and then for my Sky's technical problems. This time it's pretty serious to fix though since the other day it unfortunately reached ~255 F before I could find somewhere to pull over. It's real hot right now here in Texas, so normally it reaches 210 F max by the time I get home, and you can normally distinctly hear that fan blowing max power even after the car is off. Now I'm not hearing the fan running when it should. What's even more odd is during my troubleshooting just now, when I put my AC on max I did feel the fan blowing, so it seems somehow random. I can do more testing/driving around if you guys have any clue. I am not mechanically savvy btw (although I'd like to be eventually).

Troubleshooting:
  • Fuse #1 isn't blown; no blown fuses in general.
  • Unplugged the thermostat sensor; fan did not do the bypass thing to automatically start by default. I think this tells me nothing is wrong with the temp sensor.
  • Multimeter shows that 14 V is properly running through the fan's plug.
  • No leaks/cracks or anything odd with the coolant or water pump (thank god), although the coolant did start bubbling and expanding the one time it reached 255. Coolant level is back to normal now at regular temps, and I see no coolant loss or discoloration.
  • On the day it reached 255 F, I did hear one little chirp every now in then when it seemed like the AC/sensor was supposed to kick the blower on. No cracks/anything odd in the serpentine belt though.
  • Only thing the computer codes say is that my engine is misfiring on cylinders 1 and 4, but this an old code that's been occurring before I had the temperature problems, and is something I once took in to fix and plan to look more into again later.*

*I can elaborate more on the misfiring if someone thinks it's related. This misfiring thing isn't too severe though and is something my Sky was doing a year ago only at full throttle at high RPMs/PSI. When it was happening I got the valve cover gasket, wiring harness, coils and spark plugs replaced and it didn't misfire again until pretty recently, again only randomly when I'm really gassing it. Swapped the coils around and it still misfires on 1 and 4. Don't have the socket to check the spark plugs at the moment. I'm a bit scared the head gasket is failing but that's just my best guess.

·
Registered
450 Posts
How many miles are on the car? That would indicate possible routine component replacement time Have any of the cooling system items been renewed? Are you losing coolant? Have you noticed any leaks from the problem areas , drips under the car, or dark stains in the block that would indicate dried coolant?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles are on the car? That would indicate possible routine component replacement time Have any of the cooling system items been renewed? Are you losing coolant? Have you noticed any leaks from the problem areas , drips under the car, or dark stains in the block that would indicate dried coolant?
90k, nothing replaced concerning the cooling system, not losing coolant, no leaks/drips/or any coolant stains anywhere that I can see.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Fan not blowing? Try this first
Will this work with the Redline fan system? I read on here that the LNF's fan system is different than the LE5's? Something about having to replace the entire thing in the case of my Redline versus just that module, or did I misread.
That's an lnf fan controller.

·
Administrator
8,249 Posts
Will this work with the Redline fan system? I read on here that the LNF's fan system is different than the LE5's? Something about having to replace the entire thing in the case of my Redline versus just that module, or did I misread.
The LE5 has a two-speed fan that is controlled by a pair of relays in the Underhood Fuse Block.

The LNF uses that module to control the variable speed fan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok cool. Just ordered one, and found a thread about how to replace it. Looks suspiciously too easy of a fix lol.

I'll post again on here if that's all it needs though. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 09 RL from a guy in CA with only 29k miles in 2016 and had it shipped to Raleigh NC. During a recent hot spell of 98+, the temp light came on while sitting in traffic. The light turned off after traffic began moving. When I got home, i checked and found the fan wasn't running. I bought the fan controller listed from amazon. The back plug showed an arc on the leads. I never remember hearing the fan run after driving the car before, but it ran after shutting it off until it cooled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: So changing the fan controller got the fan running again. The bottom wire going from the controller to the fan looks damaged/burnt on the pin connection, but a connection is still being made nonetheless.

Driving it around the temp is better, but I notice the fan speed alternates from slow to fast even if the engine temp is 215+. Should I just take it to a shop to replace the wire? Def can't do that myself with my tools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts