Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Pitcom - can you post pics of your window sticker? Also, in one of the lower corners of your window sticker, can you tell us what the number says?

(near or next to an "AZ" - I was told this is roughly the sequence number of your individual vehicle since they first started building this platform car at wilmington, so the last 6 of this number should indicate how many "vehicles that were ever assigned a VIN" have been produced)

·
Registered
514 Posts
nice looks like the cold air induction kits will be dirt cheap. Simple 3 inch piping (no bends needed) and a $35 K&N cone filter!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
There continues to be talk of a CAI for the GXP and Redline. I understood that the intake charge comes from an inlet at the front of the car. Why would anybody want to pick up air from the inside of the engine compartment when you would already be taking in air from a high pressure point at the front of the car?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the pics!:thumbs:
The car looks awesome - and I know pictures just don't do these cars justice!
Many happy miles!
:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
There continues to be talk of a CAI for the GXP and Redline. I understood that the intake charge comes from an inlet at the front of the car. Why would anybody want to pick up air from the inside of the engine compartment when you would already be taking in air from a high pressure point at the front of the car?
In all honesty CAI's don't do much for performance, its more for the sound than anything.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pitcom - can you post pics of your window sticker? Also, in one of the lower corners of your window sticker, can you tell us what the number says?

(near or next to an "AZ" - I was told this is roughly the sequence number of your individual vehicle since they first started building this platform car at wilmington, so the last 6 of this number should indicate how many "vehicles that were ever assigned a VIN" have been produced)
I can post a pic of it later for ya but her eis the AZ number you are asking about.

YM
1AZ1029144

·
Registered
422 Posts
Total Kappa Production

I can post a pic of it later for ya but her eis the AZ number you are asking about.

YM
1AZ1029144
This correlates with the official GM production numbers.
Production up to end of July: > 28.418 Kappas.
Seems your car was build in the first week of August. :thumbs:

·
Registered
290 Posts
A conical filter brings in hot engine air into the air-intake manifold. I would strongly not recommend that for this engine despite the intercooler. You could probably go and use an oil-based filter like K&N, Fram Air Hog, or Holley OEM replacement but you would not increase Hp by more than perhaps 1% if any (despite rabid claims, dynos have shown otherwise). The paper filters take out more polutants but the oil-based (if oiled correctly) ones allow a little more CFM of air. A lot of extensive tests have been done on my 99' Pontiac Firehawk. I'd probably not change a darn thing until after at least the 500-mile break-in period which is so crucial.

·
Registered
820 Posts
While we are on the subject, has anyone thought about removing the plastic engine cover? I really like the look of the engine below it (I have seen photos of it before). I have been wondering if this would cause any problems with heat or void the warrantee? Anyone have any input?

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While we are on the subject, has anyone thought about removing the plastic engine cover? I really like the look of the engine below it (I have seen photos of it before). I have been wondering if this would cause any problems with heat or void the warrantee? Anyone have any input?
I wouldn't mind seeing a nice aftermarket one myself. Not really sure about the effects myself, but i'm sure somone will answer.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Should actually keep the engine cooler, I would imagine.
This was my thought as well, but if they have designed the engine specs to work around this, removing the panel may make the engine have issues in the winter.....when it is really cold and the engine is trying to keep warm, etc.

I also thought about contact with the black fabric that hangs from the hood above the engine. Could this cause extra heat to come in direct contact with this possibly causing an engine fire?

Just trying to think ahead. I really want to remove it, but would like someone's input about voiding the warrantee....:thumbs:

Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Should actually keep the engine cooler, I would imagine.
Correct, we've had some SolForum members remove it and watch temp values. They're usually a degree or two lower then average. however engine noise will be louder since the cover is primarily a noise deadening agent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts