Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think that now its official the more powerful engine is the 2.0 turbo, that the modified 2.4L with aftermarket turbo's etc will be the fastest sky/solstices? Or is the 2.0 just a de stroked 2.4? I think mistubishi did the same thing in the 90's Eclipses, 2.4L normally aspirated and 2.0 turbos. Wouldnt it be cheaper for them 2 use the same engine and just change the compression and turbo it? The 2.4 with turbo should be able 2 push 300hp pretty easily. If its $4000 extra for a redline, it would be tempting to put an aftermarket turbo in the 2.4L, but then there would be no warranty which would be a drawback. anyone else know got any ideas about that?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd rather the 2.0 with it's shorter stroke, less chance of rod angularity issues. Also when the software get's cracked the 2.0 has the potential to rev a lot higher than the 2.4 before piston speed becomes a problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The 2.4L and the 2.0L Turbo are both GEN II Ecotec blocks. Meaning the part below the head is the same. I believe the 2.0 is just not bored out as much. The strokes should be very similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 86mm bore and 86mm stroke make a square engine which is best for boost durability. Hence all boosted ecotecs are 2.0 as are the drag ones producing 1250+ horsepower.

·
Registered
727 Posts
werdnash2002 said:
If its $4000 extra for a redline, it would be tempting to put an aftermarket turbo in the 2.4L, but then there would be no warranty which would be a drawback. anyone else know got any ideas about that?
It might realistically be less. Bob Lutz has said the GXP will carry a $4000 to $5000 price jump over a base Sol, but it appears that the GXP also carries over $2000 in equipment standard that is extra cost on the base Sol. If that pricing holds up, the turbo will be looking like a good value. If $300 plus HP is a goal, it may still be beneficial to boost the 2.4L, although we don't really know the potential of the SIDI 2.0L yet either.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You are correct in assuming the GXP will have more standard equipment than the base Solstice. The GXP will more than likely be equally equip'd as the base Sky plus a few more options. We know the base Sky is about $24k when you add the missing items. Add the $4-$5K upgrade charge and we are talking just under $29K.

Let me add, I seriously doubt the Redline or GXP will exceed $30K as this would be asking just to much given the grade level of the trim.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Delnari said:
You are correct in assuming the GXP will have more standard equipment than the base Solstice. The GXP will more than likely be equally equip'd as the base Sky plus a few more options. We know the base Sky is about $24k when you add the missing items. Add the $4-$5K upgrade charge and we are talking just under $29K.

Let me add, I seriously doubt the Redline or GXP will exceed $30K as this would be asking just to much given the grade level of the trim.
I'd like to see better Suspention and Brake packages for the GXP/Redline

1 - 9 of 9 Posts