Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have three cars: A Caddy '04 SRX ($540/yr), a "03 BMW Z4 ($510?yr) and an '07 Sky at $564/yr). I am with Travelers with $500 dollar deductible. I have never shopped it so I don't know if that is good or bad. Since I have a Redline on order, I am wondering how they will classify the redline and what that will cost? Any agents out there?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great question; on my "to do" list today is to call my ins guy to ask the same, so I'll be interested to see what anyone in the forum has to say too. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I don't think I ever been asked about horsepower or turbos. They only ask how many cylinders. Of course, that could be because of the bland type cars I have always owned until the Sky.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Most people are a lot smarter than me -- but a good thing to check is car/driver ratio in the house. Many of us have bought the SKY as a summer car and have - or plan to have a car for winter or bad weather days. Well my SKY cost about $600.00 more to insure. BUT because there are 3 cars and only 2 drivers, the insurance for the other two dropped by more than $300.00.
The policy comes up for renewal in March and I will also sit down a discuss a few more items that should bring the entire cost to par with the original set-up. Most noticible is the fact that NONE of the cars will be driven more than 7500 mi. a year, so I get a discount on that (right now only one car gets that discount). Also I plan to drop rental ($15.00 a car), since I have a spare car.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am not going to know until get my RL, but every time I call AAA, I get a different quote. The last time I walked into one of there offices and spoke with an agent. I do not know the exact numbers, but the gave me a slightly lower quote for a Redline. I doubt that is accurate unless they were going by the engine size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Let me put it short and sweet. Im 20 & if I was NOT on my parents policy through progressive ... insurance would be $1800 every 6 months on a base sky & 2100 on a Redline.

AAA (My current agency, on my parents preferred policy w/a multi-car discout) they quoted me $994 every 6 months for insurance until I turn 21, then it drops to $629... although I expect AAA to add the 'Redline' to there 'performance model' list & the insurance I would expect to be around $1500 every 6 months. Rediculous, I know. Im going to have to settle with a base sky I believe & then get a R/L down the road. The base sky's will still be in HIGH demand for a very long time & the re-sale value I expect to be near the same as MSRP when its all said & done. :thumbs:

·
Registered
653 Posts
If it happens like things did with the ION Redline, most Insurance agencies didn't even know it existed for many months after it came out. When I first got my ION RL, the insurance agency computer said the VIN number showed that the car was an ION 2 (mid level model) and didn't register the fact that it was the sports model. So, similar thing may happen here. When the first people get their SKY RLs, they may only get charged what a Base SKY would cost for insurance. However, I would expect by Spring of next year for the computers to finally catch up, and you may see a jump in your rates. Just be aware that the quote you get now, may change drastically once the insurance companies figure out exactly what a Redline is. :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey guys, first time poster (took FOREVER to get approval to post), but also ordering my Sky within the next few days.

I've been getting quotes (im in CT) and no company ive spoken to so far has the RL on their system. For the base Sky, i've been getting quotes for around 800-850/6mths which isnt bad, but i'm led to believe the RL would be 20-30% more, especially since im only 26. My record is clean for the most part. The insurance company said i had a speeding ticket in '04 (my only violation), which i certainly dont recall and had it removed (this made my premium go down by $50/mth). I have to go to the DMV and get a motor vehicle report, and if it's the ticket does indeed exist then my premium will go back up again at the next renual date.

I've been playing the "pleasure car" card, but i dont think the difference in amounts is that signifcant.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So far we're unimpressed with our current insurance quote in the 700appx./6mth range. We're mid 40's without accidents, 4 other vehicles on policies, plus homeowners ins. with the same company and we also confirmed it will be a pleasure vehicle.
We're shopping around for a better rate as I kinda think it's a little on the high side, as I've read from from a few others it appears to be alot higher...

·
Registered
39 Posts
skyfan: if you are in cincinnati your premiums are very cheap if they are indeed annual (not 6 months). i am 64 in albuquerque with a 03 g35 coupe and pay $928 for 250/500/50 500 comp 1000 collision deductibles (aarp program thru hartford). i am an agent and have ordered a R/L but don't expect it to be too bad to insure. the low cost of the car (compared to a vette for example) and because it is not super high power car. it will be a few years to see how people drive the car to get a "final" premium but to start out i don't think a r/l will be too bad. the car just seems so good looking i really don't think the insurance will be a deal breaker for me. young folks are going to have a hard time with the sky or any other car for that matter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My insurance for the sky is 60 dollars cheaper than the delsol, dont really care about the price(no tickets or wrecks anyway) it cant be as high as it is now

·
Registered
105 Posts
Insurance on base v R/L

I finally called my Allstate agt and was told the base would cost $680/6 mos and the Redline $731 - not enough of a diff to make me choose one over the other. He said because we'd be storing it half the year the premiums would be even a bit less.

He said these premiums were on "the high end (yes, I'd say)" but he thought it was because it's a new car and there could be a decrease once they get a sense what it costs to repair them.

So there you have it, a bit more ins info for you.

Scott/Minneapolis

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Teacher1 said:
I finally called my Allstate agt and was told the base would cost $680/6 mos and the Redline $731 - not enough of a diff to make me choose one over the other. He said because we'd be storing it half the year the premiums would be even a bit less.

He said these premiums were on "the high end (yes, I'd say)" but he thought it was because it's a new car and there could be a decrease once they get a sense what it costs to repair them.

So there you have it, a bit more ins info for you.

Scott/Minneapolis
Almost word for word what my Allstate agent told me....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I called progressive on the Base & R/L. The base was about 1800 every 6 months & 2100 every 6 months for a me, a 20 year old on my OWN policy. Now if I stick with my parents... I expect about a $300 difference between the base & the r/l.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Talked to my insurance co (Allstate) My premium will go up $6.25 For 6 months, from the car I sold. (2000 Mustang) Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am paying $310 for six months. I am also paying $425 on a 2005 SAAB 9-5 as well as home insurance through State Farm. I think most of you are getting ripped off cost wise. I am also in norther CA, not a cheap insurance local. Max liability, 500 deduct, 50 comprehensive.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I called progressive on the Base & R/L. The base was about 1800 every 6 months & 2100 every 6 months for a me, a 20 year old on my OWN policy. Now if I stick with my parents... I expect about a $300 difference between the base & the r/l.
You gotta try alot of other places, i have never had a good quote from progressive. In fact i have never met anyone who uses them. It might just be in my area but they are insanely expensive. I gave my rl VIN to state farm and geico and allstate, it went thru fine each time. State farm was the best quote for me. Its under 1150 for full tort and under 1000 for limited tort for the yr. State farm does 6 month terms i think i'll just pay it up front its about 550, for 100k collision and full tort. All they wanted to know was what the msrp of the car was. Keep checking crackerjacktoy, when i was 20 i had my own policy on a new trans am loaded and my insurance yearly was less then your 6 month quote. That was with clean driving record, driving school discount (which was worth i think 300 bucks) and then you get good student discounts with some insurers like allstate. Good luck bud, i know you really wanted to get a redline over the base model.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guess I was different, because before I ever put dollar one down on a deposit in March, I call my agent, (State Farm) and said, OK how bad. Now mind you, new car, had to call main office to find it even, and in Florida, at least this area, all car insur is high,...(too many accidents per sq mile... ave driver age over 95..lol) and was quoted at 500 per 6 mo. Less than I had really expected...

But, again, early on, no track records on the car, and YMMV.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You all really are spoiled when it comes to auto insurance.

Heh heh. Us NJ people really take one for the team in regards to the rest of the country.

Currently, on my 2004 Tiburon 5 spd, I pay 2200 / 6 months. That actually has gone down from a previous 3400 / 6 months (through State Farm) Yes, i have a couple tickets, and a minor accident that I didn't even claim for my damage, but that's just absurd compared to what some of you are paying. I know people with much worse records than I do (2 totalled cars in 2 years) and they still pay less than me.

I'm a 23 yr old guy on my own policy. What gives.....

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
:D
You all really are spoiled when it comes to auto insurance.

Heh heh. Us NJ people really take one for the team in regards to the rest of the country.

Currently, on my 2004 Tiburon 5 spd, I pay 2200 / 6 months. That actually has gone down from a previous 3400 / 6 months (through State Farm) Yes, i have a couple tickets, and a minor accident that I didn't even claim for my damage, but that's just absurd compared to what some of you are paying. I know people with much worse records than I do (2 totalled cars in 2 years) and they still pay less than me.

I'm a 23 yr old guy on my own policy. What gives.....
Thats cause NJ has the craziest driver's that ever set foot on planter earth:lol:
Eveytime i gotta go to jersey for work i say to myself " ooh man , not again" :lol: Even when i'm in pa and somone does somthing i dont like on the road i think "they've gotta be from jersey". I'm sure you guys feel the same way about us :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts