Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I haven't paid for an oil change in a long time. There's an auto repair place right next to my work that gives me free ones 'cause I do them a lot of favors. Every new car I've had for a long time I've changed the oil the 1st time at about 500 miles, then every 3000. Didn't feel like trusting my Sky to a franchise muffler shop, so I took her to the dealer for her 1st one. HOLY SMOKES........$110 plus tax. I know it's Mobil 1 and there's a lot more to it than just spinning off a filter, but Holy Mary MOG. At least they ran it thru the car wash for me. The sales manager gave me a card for buy 3/get 1 free. With tax that brings it to an average of only $90 apiece. Have I just missed something or does this seem excessive to you?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I haven't paid for an oil change in a long time. There's an auto repair place right next to my work that gives me free ones 'cause I do them a lot of favors. Every new car I've had for a long time I've changed the oil the 1st time at about 500 miles, then every 3000. Didn't feel like trusting my Sky to a franchise muffler shop, so I took her to the dealer for her 1st one. HOLY SMOKES........$110 plus tax. I know it's Mobil 1 and there's a lot more to it than just spinning off a filter, but Holy Mary MOG. At least they ran it thru the car wash for me. The sales manager gave me a card for buy 3/get 1 free. With tax that brings it to an average of only $90 apiece. Have I just missed something or does this seem excessive to you?
The Mobile 1 itself is going to cost about $35-40. Ad in the filter, check other fluid levels, labor,etc. and you should end up with about 75-80 bucks, however dealers are ususally a bit high , but that still seems to be a bit high to me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
In a base SKY -- $33 at my dealer ($28 for a Saturn 97 SC2).
Regular oil

If the comparison helps..

·
Registered
2 Posts
It shouldn't cost to much more than 45 bucks for the oil and about 5-7 bucks for the oil filter.... I think your getting ripped off, sorry but I would just do it myself or take it to any place running a sale on oil changes and bring in you own mobile1 oil(saves money) and I bet you could get oil changes for about $50-65 total cost including oil.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just had my oil changed a few weeks back on my base Sky...brought in my own Mobil 1 synthetic (bought at Pepboys for 4.99/qt)...they supplied the filter....total cost was $19.95 with labor and tax. Supply your own Mobil 1 the next time.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

my feelings exactly----- http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8203

I'm going for one next week, I'm going to try the bring my own oil idea.

by the way, have all of you been keeping up on the service visits??

·
Registered
6 Posts
my vette takes 7qts of mobil 1 and i pay 72dollers out the door at the stealership. sounds like sky tax...call a pontiac dealer a see what they charge .any gm stealership can change your oil......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. They put Mobile 1 in and supplied filter for a total of 63.00, this is a base Sky.

·
Registered
202 Posts
After my first $80+ oil change (7 qts Mobil 1 in my GTO, not a SKY) at the dealer I decided that was the LAST time somebody was going to change my oil without kissing me first. I'll do it myself thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They took you for a ride. PT Barnum was right, sorry. $16 for 4 qts. Mobil-1 or Castrol Syntec 5W-30 or 10W-40. Filter is $2.95. Labor and oil disposal $4. Total: $23 at WalMart. But hey, mechanics gotta make a livin'!

·
Registered
514 Posts
You can buy 5 qt containers of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $20-24. Then a filter (stick to OEM!!) for $5. There really is nothing special about changing the oil between synthetic and dino. Going rate around here to have synthetic at a quickie lube (which you should avoid unless you like some kid screwing up your car) is about $88.

Do it yourself.

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I get for not asking first. Said they put in 7 qts of Mobil 1. Interesting since owner's manual says it only holds 5. Something else about having to pull off the intercooler to get to the oil filter. Well, the wife's not home and I've been into the Jameson for a little while. Didn't see the filter from the top and was afraid to get down on the garage floor 'cause I might not make it back up. Then she'd run over my legs when she comes in and I just hate it when that happens. This whole incident pretty much tells me all I need to know about my dealer's service dept. But don't forget the free car wash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can buy 5 qt containers of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $20-24. Then a filter (stick to OEM!!) for $5. There really is nothing special about changing the oil between synthetic and dino. Going rate around here to have synthetic at a quickie lube (which you should avoid unless you like some kid screwing up your car) is about $88.

Do it yourself.
Exactly....... Some of you guys are taking it in the knickers. Oil changes even with syn are relatively cheap. :nono:

·
Registered
540 Posts
car washes arent cheap mister.....

Just tell yourself the oil change cost you 25.00 and the car wash cost 85.00. Of course if the car wash costs 85.00 then I would demand to watch the girl in the string bikini do the washing. Or in my case the really cute 22 year old mechanic with the steroid induced arms and six pack abs that my dealership recently hired...........(I had the great fortune of meeting him at the gym yesterday - but that another story) humm, think I will call my dealership tomorrow and see if I can get a standing car wash appointment.:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Please note that an oil change should be done either at 2K miles or when the Oil-Life meter comes on.

I know some non-savvy people change their synth oil at 5K miles but that defeats the purpose, like adding chocolate wedding cakes on your salad. Reason being the viscosity of oil degrades after 1000 miles, so your 5W-40 oil is going to be more like a 5W-20 oil in short time, synth or otherwise, and your hot-weather protection will suffer. Synth oil also picks up pollutants of engine parts grinding together like any oil so it'll be chock full of metal filings, just slower slightly than non-synth because it has far less pollutants and carbon particles at the onset. By the time you're at 5K miles, you might as well have purchased the far cheaper dino-blood oil and changed it at 1K miles, 5 times, which would have produced the -same results.-

Save your engine, change your synth oil regularly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a BMW Z4 which has a four year inclusive warrantee...(their is no charge for anything servicewise, except for tires. Before that, I had a Z3 and the oil change charge was $150.00 (seven quarts of synthetic).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Please note that an oil change should be done either at 2K miles or when the Oil-Life meter comes on.

I know some non-savvy people change their synth oil at 5K miles but that defeats the purpose, like adding chocolate wedding cakes on your salad. Reason being the viscosity of oil degrades after 1000 miles, so your 5W-40 oil is going to be more like a 5W-20 oil in short time, synth or otherwise, and your hot-weather protection will suffer. Synth oil also picks up pollutants of engine parts grinding together like any oil so it'll be chock full of metal filings, just slower slightly than non-synth because it has far less pollutants and carbon particles at the onset. By the time you're at 5K miles, you might as well have purchased the far cheaper dino-blood oil and changed it at 1K miles, 5 times, which would have produced the -same results.-

Save your engine, change your synth oil regularly.
What??? That makes no sense at all. Besides the fact that with the Synth oil, the Oil Life Monitor typically will not kick in until about 7,000-8,000 miles. There is absolutely NO reason to change your oil at anything less than 3k miles. In my ION Redline, I have Synth oil, and 61,000 miles now. Have changed the oil regularly at 3,000 mile intervals. No problems at all. I had a '94 SL1 before that. It used 'dino' oil, and I changed that every 5,000 miles. I had the car from 25,000 to just over 100,000 miles and everything in the engine was running just as good as new still. Even at 100,000 miles on the engine, changing the oil at 5,000 mile intervals, the oil still came out looking very good.

90% of people who KNOW cars (I'm talking the guys who tear down and build up engines every single day, the ones who custom build monster engines for just about any make/model you can think of, i.e. Mallett) will even tell you that the 3,000 mile interval for 'dino' oil is definitely the short end of the spectrum and mostly a tactic to make the oil companies more money.

If you NEED to replace Synth oil every 2,000 miles, then why does Mobil 1 specifically say on the bottle to change it at 5,000 mile intervals?? Mobil is not going to suggest you over-use their product. So you know that Mobil has to be good for AT LEAST 5,000 miles.

/endrant

A lot of dealerships started having trouble with the amount they were charging for the Synthetic Oil changes when the ION Redline came out. First thing I would do is ask if they'll let you bring in your own oil. If you do that, they shouldn't be charging you more than $25 for the filter and labor. With ION RL, dealerships originally argued that you actually had to MOVE the Supercharger out of the way in order to reach the oil filter, hence why they tried to charge so much. This was not the case, and it pretty much just came down to the techs not really knowing the best way to do the service. There's got to be a better way to change the oil in the SKY than by removing the Intercooler first. Like I said, ask them what they're charging for the filter and labor. If it's more than $25, then they aren't doing something the easiest way.

·
Super Moderator
6,466 Posts
My S15 Jimmy got its dino oil changed at 6-8000 mile intervals, and had never burned or leaked any oil, and had good compression when I sold it at 250k miles. My Bravada has 198k miles on it. Ditto for change interval and condition.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
dino oil =??:confused:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dino oil just refers to traditional style oil (it comes from decomposed animals burried deep in the earth, i.e. Dinosaurs). Synthetic oil is the newer stuff that is...synthesized, made in a lab.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts