Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking much harder about the Sky that I think I want. 馃槉 I've gone from Redline (gotta have a Turbo if I can!) To Roadster...cuz I don't drive fast much anymore.
Can anyone tell me if one is more reliable or fun? Comparing apples to apples...

Registered
I've been thinking much harder about the Sky that I think I want. 馃槉 I've gone from Redline (gotta have a Turbo if I can!) To Roadster...cuz I don't drive fast much anymore.
Can anyone tell me if one is more reliable or fun? Comparing apples to apples...
Oh boy...Now you've opened up a Can of Worms!

I have plenty of fun with my Base Model, as I don't drive "fast" any longer. I mainly cruise around town & on some rural roads with my car, and it's quick enough for me. I have read that the Base Engine is more reliable, but I'll let others here, give you their opinions and facts on that. My personal opinion is, you'd be plenty happy with the Base Sky...unless you like going faster quicker.

Administrator
The "Roadster" of non-turbo version is arguably more reliable. Both have nearly equivalent handling, so the only loss by skipping the Redline is acceleration. I have one of each and enjoy them equally.

Registered
The dilemma of which one to choose for you-
that's the right fit for your budget and availability question.

The base version of the Sky- N/A 2.4 motor would seem to be
the right fit- both in purchase cost bottom line total & more readily
available out there when searching the many sites.

The base version is less likely to have reliability issues for the
most part- than the Redline model due to turbo problems that
could arise down the line- and could prove costly for an aging
model no longer in production. Ample get up & go for cruising,
decent gas mileage, less heat in the engine compartment when
compared to the Redline model. Insurance costs depending on
your carrier of choice too. The suspension ride is a tad softer
than the Redline model, plus parts replacement might be easier
since more base models were produced in the production run.

The Redline version- will be more expensive in purchase costs,
might have issues related to turbo/intercooler than the base model.
They could be harder to find on the used car market when searching
the many sites available. Insurance costs could be more depending
on your carrier. The extra horsepower gained is offset by its higher
price level.

Both will satisfy your need to smile. Both attract attention from the
masses when you're out & about for a Sunday drive. Both cost money
to operate, whether it be a weekend fun 2nd car or the daily driver.

Finding a well-maintained model- low mileage non-altered that isn't
overpriced on a dealer lot is the dilemma many owners have gone
through. You will know when the right one for you strikes your fancy.

Then the fun begins. The uniqueness of owning a Kappa is unmistakable
when pulling into any gas station, stop light or parking lot. Be prepared for
questions, requests for selfies with your car. It does happen, trust me.

Luck with your search- and the smiles gained. You only live once, it might
as well be fun for you too.

LAC

Registered
It's funny about the timing of this subject.

My wife and I who are both 64 years old, were just talking last night while out in our base 2,4L Sky getting icecream. She has been in a few Solstice GXPs which is the twin to the RedLine. She was just saying last night how she appreciates our base Sky so much more. One of the many reasons is the more comfortable ride, or should I say "less harsh". She said the ride of the GXP was uncomfortably rough. She also likes the style of the Sky so much more, both inside and outside, along with my many interior illumination changes from glowing orange to crisp white with added floor and glove box lighting.

She also likes that our nice condition, fully optioned Sky PICTURES HERE is a high mileage vehicle. It is not a garage queen that we would worry over every little environmental threat. Our Sky has 123,000 miles and a 5-speed manual transmission. The 2.4L engine with 177hp is plenty enough, and me being the hands-on guy that I am, appreciate it's simplistic mechanics that are more reliable and generic by comparison to the high pressure, direct injection 2.0L turbo.....especially considering it's higher miles and climbing.

If the "amount of launch" in the Sky is not a high priority, a fully optioned base is an excellent choice.

As others have mentioned, every Sky is a real head-tuner, somthing my wife has been entertained by. It even turns her own head. It's funny how she mentiones my change to a shark antenna on the trunk lid, and the quality clear wind defector.

Regarding which model year to consider, we have a 2007 and love the car. But I wish we had a 2008 or newer to get the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). Though we have not had a problem with air leaks while driving, it would be nice to be forewarned if a problem arises. Also, the earliest 2007s like we have, lack inside door lock switches and driver seat height adjustment. I added them later. Just get a 2008-2010 to have everything. One more thing....know that the 2009-2010 model years lack the center cup holder....no great loss what-so-ever....we never use ours.

Registered
Try driving each version鈥.take them both out on a sunny autumn day and step down on the gas hard on the interstate on ramp. Bet you a dollar to a hole in a doughnut that you buy the redline.
That is great advice about driving both. I did that and chose the base鈥.because I know my limitations and temptations. My base I currently use for Sunday and Cars and Coffee rides along with the errant car show. For fast driving, I鈥檓 keeping it on the track with driving INDYCAR or Stock Cars through experiences like IndyRacing Experiences.
Next up is flying a P-51 Mustang - Crazy Horse, through Stallion 51 in Kissimmee Florida.
This past June we had a ball driving the Tail of the Dragon 馃悏 in our family Subaru Forester (Believe it or Not!)鈥. However running afoul of John Law on Public Roads has long lost its luster.

Registered
That is great advice about driving both. I did that and chose the base鈥.because I know my limitations and temptations. My base I currently use for Sunday and Cars and Coffee rides along with the errant car show.
You describe my wife and I. The base suits us better, my wife for the car itself, me for the simplistic upkeep.

Registered
For others with an 09-10 without the center cup holder, you are not missing anything.
I'm not sure why people don't like the waterfall cupholder. It's the only cupholder in the car that actually works. I use it almost every time I take the car out to put a water bottle or if we stop at like a Sonic it fits the drinks just fine even large drinks. My only complaint is that it's rather shallow and tall water bottles will tip with simple turns. I still prefer this to having a water bottle roll around the floor board. I can't imagine doing the 3k mile road trip we just did without it actually. It was never in the way once or had any troubles with it's operation. I also have an auto so I don't have the issue of my elbow errantly hitting it open either which seems to be the only real complaint on why it was discontinued on the 09s.

Registered
Someone mentioned being 64. Well, I'm that age myself and I still get a thrill out of hitting the pedal on the Redline for the turbo rush. It's not the off the line launch, its's the on-ramp get up to speed quickly (while watching the car behind you fade in the distance). Never grow up.

I've not driven the 2.4 but I'm sure it's a satisfying experience. Cruising with the top down on a curvy country road shouldn't be a race. Mine is the manual which really allows the driver to engage by down shifting and tach watching. But it's not fun in stop and go traffic. So I choose my drive destinations and times carefully. I've had very little maintenance issues with my 08' Sky. Well maintained, the turbo could possibly have a larger resale market and value retention. I bought this as a fun and relaxing day journey driver. It's also not a common car like a Miata, so the Sky especially is a real head turner and people routinely ask what it is. I've not done mods on my car which I believe adds to the reliability. But those that like to tinker can exploit some serious performance out of the 2.0.

What ever you choose, look for the color choice you appreciate combined with maintenance and condition. Paying a bit more will reward you in the end. Smiles per mile not MPG.

BTW: Imagine yourself driving your Sky or Solstice on this! It's WAY more fun going up the hill with a manual. The road was the inspiration for the song by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen "Hot Rod Lincoln".

Registered
I'm not sure why people don't like the waterfall cupholder. .......

My only complaint is that it's rather shallow and tall water bottles will tip with simple turns. I still prefer this to having a water bottle roll around the floor board.
This has been our solution to many such challenges. Two standard water bottles happen to fit nicely. It was meant to be a garbage can, but we quickly found better uses for it.
Wood Grey Audio equipment Rectangle Automotive design

Registered
To each his own鈥 I love the turbo and the stick. Drop it down into third and call on it 鈥.it responds. It鈥檚 great when you need to outrun a truck getting on the highway, or straighten out some wise guy in a Miata. Pure joy.

Premium Member
I have the turbo and daily drive it. I have had NO issues with reliability, outside a shorting wire behind the dash causing the battery to run down, although all mods I have done have stayed away from the engine so far. When I was first looking at buying one, I talked to several people, one of them being my regular mechanic to be sure he could/would work on one. His opinion... The NA is just slightly under-powered although still fun and recommended the Redline as the purchase. And after I first drove mine, I have to agree. It isn't the start off the line where you really notice anything, as long as you don't normally drive like a maniac. It's the passing/merging ability where it is really handy, although off the line isn't bad either.

But, as someone said, test both, buy the one you prefer. No matter which one, you should dig up the purchase checklist that is on this site somewhere to help you buy the one most likely to be the most reliable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts