Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D :banghead: Good News & Bad News !!!

Stopped at my Dealer today just to get update on my Sky!! I had placed a deposit on Redline on 07/22/2006. Dealer advised they placed order last week, Order # KHMDB7. I was excited, until, they gave me a copy of WorkBench order. I noticed that Color was listed as Silver Graphite, problem is I ordered Silver Pearl. Fortunately I noticed it and the Dealer was able to change. Can you imagine the disappointment I would have had when the car came in after months of waiting?????

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
SKYBOYONE said:
:D :banghead: Good News & Bad News !!!

Stopped at my Dealer today just to get update on my Sky!! I had placed a deposit on Redline on 07/22/2006. Dealer advised they placed order last week, Order # KHMDB7. I was excited, until, they gave me a copy of WorkBench order. I noticed that Color was listed as Silver Graphite, problem is I ordered Silver Pearl. Fortunately I noticed it and the Dealer was able to change. Can you imagine the disappointment I would have had when the car came in after months of waiting?????
Don't sweat it bud. When your order gets picked up, your dealer will probably contact you again to make sure everything is 100% the way you want it.
My pre-lim was messed up to, it had the stock rims not chrome, i did they same thing you did tho, had em change it just to be safe :lol:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Well envous is a understatement ... but a big congratulations! :thumbs:

Last I heard I was #2 and #1 order was in ... so maybe come September .... :driving:

·
Registered
105 Posts
dealer misses

I continue to be amazed at how little the dealer knows about these cars and how poor the process seems to go. Several weeks after placing my R/L order the salesperson called to ask "since I wanted the turbo did I wan the Redline?" Oh brother.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Teacher1 said:
I continue to be amazed at how little the dealer knows about these cars and how poor the process seems to go. Several weeks after placing my R/L order the salesperson called to ask "since I wanted the turbo did I wan the Redline?" Oh brother.
Maybe I can help a little. I am going to say some things that may offend some auto salespeople that are members here, and they are not the ones that I am going to comment on.

I sold primarily domestic cars (Olds) for 6 years. The dealership also handled Nissan and Mercedes in an adjacent facility. For a year and a half I was one of two salesmen that also handled DeLorean. As an automobile enthusiast and autocrosser I brought a little more to the job than most did. An interesting bit of advice I once received was "you should have 100% product knowledge and 100% sales knowledge for the 10% you may need for each different transaction". I worked towards that. The import guys and in the other showroom clearly had more of both than the average domestic salesmen. In most cases, car salesmen have earned their reputations!!! I made sure that I did not operate like a "salesman" and made sure that my customers KNEW that their experience would be different with me. Most understood, and I sold a lot of cars without stooping to the standard tricks that are still too common in the trade. Rings, plaques, trophies, awards, and most importantly repeat business and good income. I mostly enjoyed it, and don't miss it at all.

The sales transaction is a separate function and responsibility for the salesman. The ordering process is NOT his job!! KNOWING about the finer points of the process isn't either!! If I were the sales manager I wouldn't want them involved in anything more than selling cars and taking care of the customers' needs. (This is where things become different for the Sky and Solstice buyers, so don't jump ugly yet!)

I think it would be fair to assume that just about everybody that is buying a Kappa really IS enthusiastic about the car that they are waiting for. And this is where issues surface. When I started the buying process for a Kappa it became VERY clear that I knew much more, after just a few days on these two forums, then EVERYBODY I spoke to at my area Pontiac dealers (absolutely NO surprise there) and most whom I spoke to at the Saturn stores. Clearly the Saturn people were more aware of their product even though the Pontiac dealers had a year head start!! Neither dealer group is geared to constantly updating a bunch of frothing at the mouth crazies like us. They just had no way of knowing that Kappas weren't cars, they were going to be a CULT. They aren't geared up, nor trained, for this.

In no way am I condoning the shortcomings of the personnel that are not staying informed, and adjusting to the needs of a bunch of full list buyers that are made to wait endlessly for their purchase to show up. And the delays aren't the dealerships' fault either. I would suggest that an occasional visit to the sales manager with a box of fresh doughnuts and a smile will get a lot more attention than a bunch of :brentil: :banghead: :smash: :deadhorse :rant:.

And some sedatives for us won't hurt either. Me? I'm going to have mine now. MARTINI TIME !!!!! :D :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
salespeople

Your points are sound ... and I think times are changing, or so it appears. Or maybe I just didn't happen upon a salesperson who had much of either of what you're talking about.

One of the things I don't like about car buying is you're pretty much stuck with the person who gloms onto you first. Especially when there's such a long wait I'd like to have more of a relationship than just my calling to see how the list is coming. But maybe I'm unrealistic at all, especially now.

I've got to replace my truck and know exactly what I want. The other day I stood around waiting for a salesguy and I had only 2 questions that I wasn't sure about, both of which he answered, "I don't really know." Well go find out man!

Delorean's, eh? Man, the good old days!

Scott/Minneapolis

·
Registered
145 Posts
I stop by my dealership every two weeks or so just to see what's come in. Most times I don't even talk to anyone. I told my salesman up front that I'm not one to call every day and ask for up to the minute statuses. He seemed appreciative of it. Both he and the sales manager both guaranteed that I'd get my redline (#3 on list) they just couldn't guaranatee exactly when. That's good enough for me. I went by Saturday to set up a test drive which they took care of on the spot. I didn't even sit with the salesman or GM just a quick handshake, test drive and thumbs up. I will say one thing, I've been to quite a few car dealerships over the years but I have never been to one as busy as this Saturn dealer. If all Saturn dealerships were this nuts they'd be the #1 selling brand on the planet.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my sales rep... he seems pretty sincere. When I explained to him my situation with my current/previous car having been totalled recently in an accident...I was hoping there was something they could do to step up the ordering process on my Redline... my car really did get totalled. Then I told him about the scooter I'm currently commuting on until the arrival of my Redline...again, hoping that they could somehow step up the process on my Redline...he again offered some sound advice and alternatives for motorcycles...he's also been very accomodating with all the changes with the color choices interior/exterior that I've been making. I'm pretty happy with him.:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts