Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the Redline comes with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-2 (good performing tire) pictured below

My question is will Saturn have an option available to upgrade to another Goodyear tire. I'm looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 (V-Tred). I've seen pictures of this tire (F1) on the Sky via the Internet in manufacturer/show pictures.

Most car manufactures will have a list of different tires we can pick from(Upgrade or downgrade) when we purchase a new vehicle.

Heres a link to all the higher performance tire's Goodyear makes. (FYI)

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_tire.jsp?mrktarea=Performance

Any information you may have on this would be greatly appreciated! :thumbs:

Thanks Skyler

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Skyler - I don't believe there is another tire offering than what you see (the GS-2) but the GS-D3 is an awesome tire, provided you don't have to worry about snow at all.

I've been told the GS-2 has some winter capability (as does the same tire on the Corvette when equipped with it). Some is a relative term, but being able to make it home in an inch and a half of snow or being stranded in a half inch of snow is a big deal in Michigan.

If you can stand the looks, you'll get even better performance by moving to a P245/40R18 Eagle GS-D3 or Michelin PS-2, both excellent tires for wet, dry - but NOT A BIT OF SNOW CAPABILITY.

(the 40 aspect is about a half inch less radius, so the wheel openings will be larger - the Solstice Z0K car racing SSB uses 245/35R18 tires, and some people have commented about the looks - but it handles like CRAZY!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It depends on your dealership. As mentioned there is no official GM uplevel tire ability, but if your dealer is willing to take your tires in exchange for other tires then you're in luck. I know several Solstice owners who struck deals with their dealers to change out the RS-A's for the Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires (the ones you have pictured below) for pretty much just the cost of installing new tires. If you check tirerack.com for example the stock OE RS-A's actually cost more then Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Most Tire Shops will work a Deal on New Car "TakeOffs" ...ask around..:thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
im not looking forward to getting tires down the road. My price for tires is 1,400 dollars for a regular sky and 1,600 for redline. Now for an average joe off the street. 1,600 for regular and 1,800 for redline. i better start saving now :willy:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Tough decisions

Still thinking about getting a Sky Red Line when my current lease is up (in about 6 months) - but living in Northeast Ohio I wonder about bad weather. Since I work at home I do sometimes go for days without leaving the house - and this past winter I only drove about 2 days before the plows and salt trucks got out there when there was snow on the ground.

I am thinking maybe I will get a set of aftermarket wheels to put the summer tires on and put a set of winter tires (not studded or anything, just something with decent tread for snow). Or, maybe I will keep my wife's 96 Civic instead of selling it when I get her a new car - then I will have the Sky for summer use and the Civic for winter use. Of course then I have one more car in my garage/drive then I need most of the time. And I should be able to sell the Civic for enough $ to pay for a second set of wheels and tires for the Sky.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lil GTO said:
Still thinking about getting a Sky Red Line when my current lease is up (in about 6 months) - but living in Northeast Ohio I wonder about bad weather. Since I work at home I do sometimes go for days without leaving the house - and this past winter I only drove about 2 days before the plows and salt trucks got out there when there was snow on the ground.

I am thinking maybe I will get a set of aftermarket wheels to put the summer tires on and put a set of winter tires (not studded or anything, just something with decent tread for snow). Or, maybe I will keep my wife's 96 Civic instead of selling it when I get her a new car - then I will have the Sky for summer use and the Civic for winter use. Of course then I have one more car in my garage/drive then I need most of the time. And I should be able to sell the Civic for enough $ to pay for a second set of wheels and tires for the Sky.
You'd be better off keeping the Civic. It'll be much better in the snow and frankly driving a convertible in below freezing weather is a rather silly prospect. You can always take the Sky off the road during the winter if you're concerned about insurance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For anyone interested in aftermarket tires, check out the BF Goodrich ultra high performance line of summer only tires on tirerack.com. They have the highest ratings all round. Yeah, I was suprised too.

Great for autocross

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Two Civics

Inwo said:
You'd be better off keeping the Civic. It'll be much better in the snow and frankly driving a convertible in below freezing weather is a rather silly prospect. You can always take the Sky off the road during the winter if you're concerned about insurance.
Actually I've got two Civics right now - the 96 and a 2004 on lease that ends in December I think - so I might turn in the 2004 and replace it with a Sky - and then get a G6 or Vue or something for the wife and keep the 1996 as a winter only alternative to the Sky. gets very tricky as I am not sure I can take on a second car payment at the moment - especially if I fix the A/C, the transmission and get new wheels and tires on the 96 - at least not until next April, when I should be in a better position overall to have two car payments instead of just the one I have now.

And since the wife works 3 days a week and I work from home and my parents live down the street - I can very likely avoid ever having to drive the Sky when teh outside temp is below freezing. Then again my dad ordered a Sky that should be on the prodcution line right now - but he has an old Saturn coupe that he will be keeping for winter use.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Skyler said:
I know the Redline comes with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-2 (good performing tire) pictured below

My question is will Saturn have an option available to upgrade to another Goodyear tire. I'm looking at the Goodyear Eagle F1 (V-Tred). I've seen pictures of this tire (F1) on the Sky via the Internet in manufacturer/show pictures.

Most car manufactures will have a list of different tires we can pick from(Upgrade or downgrade) when we purchase a new vehicle.

Heres a link to all the higher performance tire's Goodyear makes. (FYI)

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_tire.jsp?mrktarea=Performance

Any information you may have on this would be greatly appreciated! :thumbs:

Thanks Skyler
The eagle F1 tire's were actually on the Solstice concept car way back when.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
wt2ga said:
TOYO's Rule in the Rain
That's not been my experience. I found the toyos (on a Fiero) had EXCESSIVE braking distance in wet.

This is consistent with C&D's article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10252/tire-test-the-quick-and-the-tread.html

I thanked the guy who let me borrow them, and gave them back. Waiting to wear out the free set of tires I got before upgrading to GS-D3's or PS-2's.

Dry 50-0 braking distance:
Goodyear GS-D3: 76.6 feet
Michelin PS-2: 73.4
Toyo: 78.4

WET 50-0 braking distance:
Goodyear GS-D3: 86.3 feet
Michelin PS-2: 86.8
Toyo: Ahem... 98.8!!!

Same thing for dry skidpad g's
Goodyear: .94
Michelin: .93
Toyo: ahem... .88

and for WET skidpad g's
Goodyear: .82
Michelin: .75
Toyo: ahem... .71

On other cars, IN THE WET, I've found the Goodyears are a bit "looser", meaning you get less understeer, which is good for skidpad numbers, but can be somewhat challenging to drive competitively. The Michelins tend to be "tighter" meaning more understeer, which is good for controllability and can provide significant advantage on wet handling courses.

Goodyear's GS-D3 and the Michelin PS-2 are very comparable tires, with small amounts of tradeoff balance between them.

The toyo's were recommended to me by a friend that swears by them, but I was very disappointed in them, and so am glad I never bought them.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Car & Driver tested Toyo Proxes T1R...I have been running TOYO Toyo Proxes T1S on my Z06 for three years and it has been a great "Rain Tire", an opinion shared by many on the Vette forums. I may have to look into other tires when I replace the ones I have...Thanks...:)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyTech said:
im not looking forward to getting tires down the road. My price for tires is 1,400 dollars for a regular sky and 1,600 for redline. Now for an average joe off the street. 1,600 for regular and 1,800 for redline. i better start saving now :willy:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can get all 4 tires from tirerack.com shipped to me for $950. However for $850 you can get the Eagle F1 GS-D3's shipped to you and have much superior tires then even the Redline tires.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
wt2ga said:
Car & Driver tested Toyo Proxes T1R...I have been running TOYO Toyo Proxes T1S on my Z06 for three years and it has been a great "Rain Tire", an opinion shared by many on the Vette forums. I may have to look into other tires when I replace the ones I have...Thanks...:)
I personally hate talking about tires in most cases because tires are like... well you know. Unless I'm reading a direct comparison like the one k-man posted I never believe what anyone ever says about tires because they're so subjective and much harder to really test compared to other modifications.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts