Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bit of researching and still have not been able to track down an exact number or even a somewhat educated ballpark for the Redline's Top Speed.

Since it's currently out, I wonder if it's listed in the owner's manual.

Does anyone at all know the car's top speed?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you.

I'm sure given different gearing it'd reach higher than that.

My stock 2004 Tiburon 5spd tops in the 130's, and has about half the HP.

·
Registered
96 Posts
thank you.

I'm sure given different gearing it'd reach higher than that.

My stock 2004 Tiburon 5spd tops in the 130's, and has about half the HP.
The gearing is not the problem. The speed is govenor restricted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Supposedly the car is geared to do 180+mph...........just doesn't have the power needed to go that fast.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Couldn't you kill the speed limiter with an ECM retune??

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
BLUERIDGE SKY Couldn't you kill the speed limiter with an ECM retune??

Per C&D it is power limited, it also has a small spool turbo, so it will probably need an upgraded turbo unit, not something I will mess with I will wait for Hahn or someone to mess with it and determine what will be needed

It might take awhile the 2.0L turbo in the sky has a bunch of new tech, so whoever does the upgrade will have a learning curve to go thru. And will need to be alot smarter than me:)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i'm not sure which exactly has the lower coefficient of drag, redline or gxp. A retune would infact reset the governor.

Hmmm........looks like i've got some work ahead of me to get this thing over 150mph

·
Registered
422 Posts
Top Speed

At top speed the engine will rev ~ 4.900 (at 143 mls/h)
If you take the 3.91 diff out of the base, the engine would rev ~ 5.150.
At 5.250 the torque begins to decrease - 5.250 is the rev you get max. power (260 hp) and maybe you'll reach 146 mls/h with the 3.91 diff.

Most of the power at high speed you need to override the air resistance.
The coefficient of air resistance of a roadster is not as good as of a coupe.

Roadsters are not designed for top speed racing.
Maybe at 143 mls/h it's such loud that your ears fall off :willy:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've done a bit of researching and still have not been able to track down an exact number or even a somewhat educated ballpark for the Redline's Top Speed.

Since it's currently out, I wonder if it's listed in the owner's manual.

Does anyone at all know the car's top speed?

Don't know for sure but I was told by my retailer's service manager, 150+ for the red line. Speaking of speed, now that production RED LINE SKYS are finally up and out there running, SATURN has revised the official 0 to 60 mph times from 5.5 sec. to 4.9 sec. and the quarter mile times changed accordingly.

The sept. 11 AUTOWEEK has a road test / review of the SKY REDLINE which should not be missed. www.autoweek.com, on line. This is one seriously fast car that very few cars, regardless of price, can match in terms of sheer acceleration. The two fastest cars I owned were my '67 Mustang 390GT and my '68 E Type Jaguar. Trust me, these were fast cars in their day. but the SKY REDLINE is nearly 2 sec. faster than both of those cars, 0 to 60.

Wow.:crazy: It boggles the mind. I am 67 yrs. old now and getting in and out of a sky, especially with the roof up is quite a bother. Perhaps I should order an AURA XR, which I really like too and leave the memories of high performance roadsters back in my youth. Hmmmmm.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
991 Posts
OK, where are you going to go 150 mph??? At that speed (I have done it on a motorcycle) things in the road come up very quickly. I car in front of you going 65 mph will would be like you driving down the road at 150-65= 85 mph. Your gonna kill someone, because you can not react or judge the speed of the other vehicle quick enough! Sorry to sound so negative, but for me going up the onramp and reaching 70-80mph as quickly as possible before the end of the ramp is all I need.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, where are you going to go 150 mph??? At that speed (I have done it on a motorcycle) things in the road come up very quickly. I car in front of you going 65 mph will would be like you driving down the road at 150-65= 85 mph. Your gonna kill someone, because you can not react or judge the speed of the other vehicle quick enough! Sorry to sound so negative, but for me going up the onramp and reaching 70-80mph as quickly as possible before the end of the ramp is all I need.
although not right away, I do plan on racing with it. So don't worry, I'm not hitting 150+ on local roads and streets, heh heh.

I have driven in the 130's on the highway and it does get a bit hairy. I only do it on straight open clear stretches of highway

·
Registered
104 Posts
:cheers:
At top speed the engine will rev ~ 4.900 (at 143 mls/h)
If you take the 3.91 diff out of the base, the engine would rev ~ 5.150.
At 5.250 the torque begins to decrease - 5.250 is the rev you get max. power (260 hp) and maybe you'll reach 146 mls/h with the 3.91 diff.

Most of the power at high speed you need to override the air resistance.
The coefficient of air resistance of a roadster is not as good as of a coupe.

Roadsters are not designed for top speed racing.
Maybe at 143 mls/h it's such loud that your ears fall off :willy:
There are some very good reasons I admire and respect Germans so much. His reply is a perfect example.:cheers:
I couldn't give a staight answer that good if my life depended on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts

You don't sound negative to me even the "on ramp" stuff makes me fidget a bit. Way back about 50 years ago, I drove a friends brand new XK140 MC Jaguar a bit past 120 mph on the Palisades interstate parkway in Englewood cliffs, NJ. You are right about reaction times and judging the speed of other vehicles. Damn near killed myself by almost running up the back of some terrified citizen in a 190 SL. Thank goodness I learned from that incident and have never driven like that since.:eek: :thumbs:

·
Registered
422 Posts
:cheers:

There are some very good reasons I admire and respect Germans so much. His reply is a perfect example.:cheers:
I couldn't give a staight answer that good if my life depended on it.
Thanks greenhornet,

but my answers are such simple because the lack of my knowlegde in english, therefore I have to put it in easy words :D

The biggest problem in high speed driving, even on our non speed limited Autobahn (not all, only some) isn't the speed for itself but the difference to the other drivers. Most of the Autobahn is three track:

right - trucks - 50 mls/h
middle - cars - 80 mls/h, but sometimes trucks 51 mls/h
left - fast cars 120 mls or higher

If you go 150 mls/h there is a speed difference to the trucks of 100 mls/h and 70 mls/h to the normal drivers and many of them can't imagine that high speed car coming up such quick.

My old Opel (1992 first 2.0 Turbo) is able to run 152 mls/h. I think I have used that round about half a dozen times all over the years.

- too much traffic
- the track becomes more and more narrow
- you shouldn't drive faster then you can look
- need a lot of gas and wear of brakes will be high

The highest risk is that the slower drivers estimate your speed wrong or don't even see you.

But maybe I'm only too old :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't know for sure but I was told by my retailer's service manager, 150+ for the red line. Speaking of speed, now that production RED LINE SKYS are finally up and out there running, SATURN has revised the official 0 to 60 mph times from 5.5 sec. to 4.9 sec. and the quarter mile times changed accordingly.

I just went to saturn.com to verify your claim of the change to 4.9 seconds and cannot find it anywhere. I looked on every R/L page and even built one and it say 0-60 in 5.5 on every one of them. :confused:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wow.:crazy: It boggles the mind. I am 67 yrs. old now and getting in and out of a sky, especially with the roof up is quite a bother. Perhaps I should order an AURA XR, which I really like too and leave the memories of high performance roadsters back in my youth. Hmmmmm.:rolleyes:
Yep! I know the feeling (same age) and have the same worries and wonder how long I can keep up with it. I am thinking on the lines of AURA/Hybrid after my back goes out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts