Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into selling my 2008 Redline to to health issues so I contacted KBB for a offer since they are buying my 15 Cherokee also and they offered me only $4800.00??? but retail shows almost 10k!! I have a Dark Blue Redline 5spd with 139k miles, I am the 4th owner. Car was originally from New Mexico so no rust, body does however have some dents and hood is starting to fade. Brand new top from Chevy dealer this year! Car has a minor front accident history and currently has a P0497 code which doesnt seem to affect driving. All things considered is this a fair offer? or should I expect more? I really dont wanna Craiglist or Ebay and car is located in Lond Island New York...Any feed back would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
That sounds pretty low to me. 139K miles is a lot, but that still seems low if the car is in good shape and runs well.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Looking into selling my 2008 Redline to to health issues so I contacted KBB for a offer since they are buying my 15 Cherokee also and they offered me only $4800.00??? but retail shows almost 10k!! I have a Dark Blue Redline 5spd with 139k miles, I am the 4th owner. Car was originally from New Mexico so no rust, body does however have some dents and hood is starting to fade. Brand new top from Chevy dealer this year! Car has a minor front accident history and currently has a P0497 code which doesnt seem to affect driving. All things considered is this a fair offer? or should I expect more? I really dont wanna Craiglist or Ebay and car is located in Lond Island New York...Any feed back would be appreciated!!
KBB is always going to be low for a car like the Sky, mainly because the volumes are so low that there is not a good reference.

Unfortunately to get the best price you are pretty much going to have to endure the agony of selling thrugh one of the internet marketplaces.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There's a Black RL with similar miles close to me listed right now for $6k. I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet to be honest. It doesn't appear to have the same cosmetic issues either. I usually see RLs listed $10k+ these days depending on mileage and condition. Skys don't normally fair well with trade in values or through dealerships so your best bet is to sell it privately as you would most likely get thousands more so it should be worth your trouble. Good luck with the sale. Post a for sale ad here on the forum and you may get a bite.

BTW that P0497 shows its an emissions code and might also scare away some buyers in states that require emissions as it would most likely need to be fixed before they could register it too.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
One thing I wonder about with the 2.0L turbo is the byproduct of "direct injection". The intake valves get terribly full of carbon build-up. Has anyone experienced engine trouble specifically related to such filthy intake valves? If so, how many miles does it take to start to show up?

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
One thing I wonder about with the 2.0L turbo is the byproduct of "direct injection". The intake valves get terribly full of carbon build-up. Has anyone experienced engine trouble specifically related to such filthy intake valves? If so, how many miles does it take to start to show up?
The carbon buildup mostly results in a loss of power rather than actual engine "problems". My RL has 92k miles with no discernable loss of power, although there certainly could be some. I plan to inspect it this fall to see what it's condition actually is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can benchmark against the Sky's twin - Solstice and adjust your asking price accordingly. I find Sky RL prices are higher than GXP.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The carbon buildup mostly results in a loss of power rather than actual engine "problems". My RL has 92k miles with no discernable loss of power, although there certainly could be some. I plan to inspect it this fall to see what it's condition actually is.
I wonder if a valve cleaning product (through vacuum intake) would be effective.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I wonder if a valve cleaning product (through vacuum intake) would be effective.
Generally it is not, and the risk of larger particles coming loose and traveling through the engine is considered too high by most people n any case.
The accepted best practice is walnut blasting using a vacuum apparatus. It was pioneered by the BMW crowd, I believe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with MM that it is definitely not the time of year to sell a convertible. Autumn is the time to buy a convertible.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I tried this with my BMW X5 and got an absurd low number too. Then, I saw the website was telling me to take my car to some local dealer who'd give me that for it. They're just giving you trade-in value, not market value. Just browse around the "for sale" places to see market value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carvana offered me $2350 and Vroom offered $1300!! These guys are a joke! you cant even buy a crashed one for that much. My Redline isnt perfect but it still looks really good and drives great. And all over U.S they are selling for better than 10k. Guess im keeping it...Thanks for all the great feedback, hoping I can drive it more once my health improves!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Trade in and retail offers- at this time of the year vary wildly.
Almost 140k on the clock- 4th owner- late in the season-
some cosmetic issues with.. a code too force some price ranges
to extremely low levels by our standards as owners.

Selling your car because of health issues- and expecting more than we
think we should get for it from a dealer offer drives us crazy.

Given this time of the year- low ball offers are the tease for the
dealer who then sell it later in the Spring for a % way above the
trade in value offer they made- when the interests peak in Vert's climbs
on the search pages for the next would be buyer.

I would- hold on to it some this winter- fix some of the cosmetic issues
and the code before another attempt is made in the Spring by you
to selling your gem when the interest in the Kappa will be on the rise
instead of the decline.

I am very interested in- Brand new top from Chevy dealer this year!
How and what was that adventure like and the cost or any problems?
I have been interested in replacing my top too- plus I am in pretty good
with my local Chevy dealer SM. If I could get any info concerning your
dealer of choice of how they got a new top this year would be of great
help in replacing an aging top on mine. It does drag down the look
to ACM- I am getting tired of repairing it every season. I have $$$.

IF you can a fix a few things on it over this winter- you could get more
money in the Spring for it. 140k is a 140k here. RL's with 40K might be
above the 10k mark maybe close to 12K. Mileage, wear and tear matter.
The new top helped some, but 4 owners- some history of front end damage
and the code might scare away prospective buyers at this time and any offer
from the dealer will be low.

LAC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts