Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I bathed & clean wifeys Sky today after returning from the dealer. Since my better half drives the Sky everyday to work and back, 90% of the drive is on an expressway (Sawgrasse), which is being "re-built" on the northern part of her drive, AND it is on the edge of the Evergaldes, needless to say our baby gets dirty--AND buggie--Today cleaning out the front end I removed 6 HUGE dragon Flys, leaves, foam particles, small rocks from grill holes and of course cleaning off dried bug juice is a biacth:willy: --What really bothered me today is what looks like stone chips that have hit the front bumper:banghead: -Apparently, the front bumper of our Sky is "very soft" because it is the only area where actual tiny holes have been left behind by obviously small rocks from the hits thru the construction going on on that road. When I looked at this with a magnifying glass, I saw actual imbedding (holes) and damage to the bumper itself, there by leading me to believe that the front bumper is just to soft. No where else in the front end did I see this damage, only the bumper, obviously some rocks musta hit the hood, side panel which are made out of metal--no damage, not even a mark after cleaning & inspection--:eek: Also no marks on the windshield.:confused:

This of course has me concerned, I will bring & show this again tommorrow when I make 2nd trip to the dealer and will point this to them to see what if anything can be done. Now to my point, I never was in favor of the "clear" bra, to expensive and would also probably get chipped also. When I owned my Porsche 924s they made a "black leather like removeable bra" for that car. Does anybody know if such a thing exists for the Sky? If not perhaps one of our supporting vendors can "make one" for us who do not want to shell out $600-$700 bucks for the clear one. If I recall the Porsche bra was about $300.00, made of leather, or a tuff vinyl material with a cloth inside, the inside is against the paint. I'm sure you all have seen these bras on other cars--Any help from a "supporting vendor"? If any members knows of a bra like this for our Sky's from anywhere, can you pls PM the supplier URL or phone number? thanks--OR I would even consider having one custom made if at a reasonable price--Let me know mems-Thanks-MB:thumbs:

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I saw a red solstice with a black leather bra on it. I gotta say it looked absolutely dreadful to my eye.

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
I just had a 3M clear plastic bra installed on my silver pearl...I have no complaints and it is virtually invisible...On dark colors the lines would be somewhat visible...but u can just put one on the bumper area..no one would really notice. Let me suggest u run your hand over the hood of the car and then rub your hand on the trunk area...I am sure u will notice the difference.

I suggest that u put one on your hood also. It won't be difficult to live with it. Prices range in the hundreds of course. I paid $400.00 and I am in Jersey.

·
Registered
295 Posts
there is a used siver pearl at my dealer that has the 3m on it..looks really good..i want to get 1 for my black onyx

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
Remember, it does not appear as well on dark colors...but does make a nice appearance nevertheless...just a reminder...lines r more noticeable

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess as a last resort I might have to consider the clear--At least for certain parts of the front end, bumper for sure--Has any body tried installing it themselves? DIY? Can any one then also PM where I can get the 3M or how many different suppliers or versions are there? Thanks--All I know is I gotta do something to protect the front end--
Thanks guys:thumbs:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will be doing the full clear bra treatment and I do not recommend doing it yourself as it is a huge PIA and is more difficult than tinting windows.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you look at the one on kappasphere.com.. you can get the sections you want

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be doing the full clear bra treatment and I do not recommend doing it yourself as it is a huge PIA and is more difficult than tinting windows.
I guess when I go in tomorow AM I'll swing by the body shop and visit my buddies--the magicians, discuss the issue, and have them give me an estimate--:banghead: An un-expected expense-:rolleyes: Never the less, the CAI is still going in, so are the guards, I'll just will have to scrap up the money for this-meeerrryyy xmas- hohoho-and probably repair costs also geeze--:brentil: Thanks for the info so far guys I really appreciate it--I will keep yawl posted on my adventure--:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you look at the one on kappasphere.com.. you can get the sections you want
Thanks!! I'll check on that right now--:thumbs:

·
Registered
187 Posts
The clear looks best IMO anyways. And it prevents the possibility of dirt or small rocks from getting trapped underneath and putting small scratches into the paint.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, Kappas wants $517 for the whole thing, upper bumper, lower, hood & mirrors and the lights--If I'm going to do this I'll do the whole thing--I emailed them, I'll probably call them and speak live, I have a few questions--Would like to compare with the other supplier also, and pick best probduct for the bang--I'll also check with my dealer see what they think. But right now Kappa is in first position--

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
As Sabre stated...do not do this yourself...I watched the expert and believe me...it is a REAL REAL PIA...the bumper took 2 hrs to complete. Don't be pound foolish.

By the way, u really don't need the CAI...put the money toward the 3M Bra...better spent...it doesn't add real HP..just noise.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My clear bra package goes all along the rocker panel as well and then up in front of the rear wheel where all the road debris seems to get thrown.

It also has strips along the rear deck so if you are leaning into your trunk to get something your belt buckle or blackberry won't scratch anything. They pretty much covered the whole damned car and noone can tell it is there unless I tell them.

I paid 900 Canadian installed.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You can't get too close with a high pressure spray. I can't really say I get the detail kids to hand wash it once a week.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Well in less than 24 hours since my initial post I am now fully informed on this bra issue (i think :lol: ) These are my findings. After further review, and after heavy talking to my magicians (body shop guys at Saturn), I have decided to go with the clear bra. Why? Well their is no leather bras for our Skys, and everyones opinions on these is that they suck--They can never really be tightly wrapped around the areas that need protection, AND no matter what, they flap in the wind-:nono: -(I knew this with my Porsche experience).

So decisions, my body shop don't do the work, they bring some one in, Scott, well Scott is more a windows tinting, decals, strips etc guy, & don't do bras either, BUT he knows a guy, a pro that that is all he does..OK I call Jim--BINGO--I hired him to come in tommorrow morning 9AM. He uses 3M, and according to him IT IS the best stuff for this protection, AND he has done many, several Skys. He mentioned few other products, prices etc etc, BUT bottom line this 3M stuff is king, uses it on Porsche, Ferraris , Bensez etc etc--
Now this is where I am gambling. Since damage (marks are already on my car). And since my body guys say that it will take 30 days for the paint to cure if I perform repairs, by the time you can install the clear bra, if you continue to drive the car, it will be damaged the same as it is now. So, bottom line--I & jim will clean the front best as posible, he uses a "degreaser" on it whether I clay it or not before applying the bra. My bottom line result or hopes is that, ahh I am hoping that once the 3M is applied, it will hide all damage, if it covers 90-95% I will be happy--Oh BTW, I got the Saturn CAI--WOW!!--love it!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
take my advice, avoid a real bra at all costs. My last car a woman (Raiderette Cheerleader) put one on, the paint was all faded and hazy, scratchy, it needed to be repainted. Go with the clear bras.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
take my advice, avoid a real bra at all costs. My last car a woman (Raiderette Cheerleader) put one on, the paint was all faded and hazy, scratchy, it needed to be repainted. Go with the clear bras.
Yep, totally agree now after doing my homework. In fact Jim is in my garage installing the 3M clear bra right now as I type this. Let me tell ya, this stuff is tuff--I cannot punch a hole into it with my finger-:cool: Its cool the way it is already has the cut patterns for the Sky are already made for him on a big sheet. The lights peices are a little thickerss 20mil, the rest I think is 6mil thick. Excellent stuff. Expensive, but now I am one of those that highly recommend this product to protect not just your Sky, but any other car/suv you value & prize--:thumbs: Let me tell ya, I would definitely advise that you hire a pro to do this install, It don't matter which clear product you use, better have all the tools and the right mixtures for the installation. I think I could do it but it would take me much longer and I know I would get pissed and frustrated doing it I'm sure. That front bumper is a bear!! MB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts