Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to help me solve a relay part number dilemma?

I'm still working on my trunk pop issues mentioned in an earlier thread. One of the suggestions was to try swapping in a new "trunk release relay" (relay #18 in the under-hood fuse box). I went to three part stores today, and all three tried to sell me a relay that was clearly the wrong part. It looks like the published data they're all working off of is incorrect.

The relay they kept trying to sell me was a large square relay, about the size of a standard "flasher" unit. The trunk relay is a rectangular relay about half the size of those, grey in color, 4 pins, and marked:

VJ28-91F24-Z06 TYCO 20A 14VDC MEX 0722701A

Searching those numbers doesn't yield any cross reference part numbers, or new units for sale (although it hits on a few eBay auctions for used relays).

Does anyone have a replacement part number, or an ACDelco / Denso / etc. part number that is compatible with this relay?

·
Registered
17,475 Posts
Did u ever think of going to the parts dept of a GM dealership....they probably will give u your answer. Make sure they r not busy when asking the question. An afternoon walk-in usually works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did consider it, but considering that everyone seems to be working with bad data I don't have much faith in whatever their computer will show.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
These relays are all largely the same. The only differences are physical size and pin layout (well, plus current handling capability, but they all seem to be the same current handling capability too). I'd lay odds that if you get a relay of the same size and pin layout, it will work fine. Do what MM said and take your old relay to the parts counter at a GM dealer.

Having said that and if you still want a part number, I bought an Omron relay from Digikey (here: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/G8V-RH-1A7T-R-DC12/Z2648-ND/1506402) for my fog light mod. Works just fine and handles 35Amps - more than enough for the trunk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally tracked it down.

The fuse box lists it as "Trunk Release Relay", but GM lists it as "Rear Compartment Lid Release Relay".

GM part number: 19116057
ACDelco part number: D1786C

Interestingly, my OEM relay is a 20A Tyco... but this ACDelco unit is a 35A! Everything I can find indicates the ACDelco should have been OEM instead of the Tyco, but every relay on this car is a Tyco and I can find eBay posts listing the Tyco as an OEM part. Very confusing.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Interestingly, my OEM relay is a 20A Tyco... but this ACDelco unit is a 35A! Everything I can find indicates the ACDelco should have been OEM instead of the Tyco, but every relay on this car is a Tyco and I can find eBay posts listing the Tyco as an OEM part. Very confusing.
Like I said. Doesn't matter. They are interchangeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts