Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the remote garage door opener similar to what was mentioned on the Solstice forum. It involved opening up the hand held remote, soldering a couple of wires on to the printed circuit board, and running them out to a remote pushbutton. The remote door opener unit is tucked up under the dash, and the remote button is located under the button for selecting the fog lights.
It was a tight fit, but is well worth it. It is out of the way and looks like it was a factory option. I bought the pushbutton at the local auto parts store.
There was less space available in the Sky than shown on the Solstice installation.:cheers:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
installation picture

Here is the button installed. The opener is up under the panel beneath the dash. The end cover on the dash by the door pops off, and there are screws that hold the cover where the button is located. This drops down, and I removed the dimmer and fog light button so I could take the panel to my work bench to cut the hole for the new button.
The door opener was a little different than the Solstice thread. But I took it apart, found the points where the button connected to the circuit board, and tested its function using a jumper wire. I did all of this before cutting any hole. The nice thing about this is you don't even see it unless you look for it, and it is easy to reach.
It sounds a little tricky , but it really wasn't bad!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
garage door opener

Installed mine over the weekend. I got a slightly smaller button at radio shack (than the one pictured in this thread) and got it to fit in roughly the same place as the solstice install. Works great and only took $3 in parts and about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also did mine this past weekend.
I don't know if the Sky door panels are similar to that of my Sol or not but I put it on the door.
On the Sol there is a triangle spot forward of the door handle where a manual crank would go. This panel is held in with a plastic button and pops out to expose the inside of the door and the vapor barrier. I put a small button from the Shack in this panel and velcroed the unit to the back side of it.
Re-install the panel and poof, Bob's your uncle, and you are done.
Like in your Sky installs you can't see the button unless you look for it.
When I pull in the drive I extend my finger and hit the button.
Simple, clean, cheap.
The opener in the Sol pictures and mine happen to be Chamberlain units but as shown in this thread, any unit can and does work well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have the garage door openers that continuously change codes, you can get a small fob that is similar in size to the Saturn fob...its pretty unobtrusive and you do not have to cut any holes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had to laugh when I read this... I did the same project too! Makes life so much easier being able to reach down with my left hand to open the garage, I have a standard, so trying to manipulate the remote in the glove box or back bin was a nightmare.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Why who has a geerage ta park ther car. I just pulls it around back an tell my youngins ta cover up daddy's car an they does it. Now what yall call a geerage has all tha old furniture from tha house in it. Along with my still an thumper. But now yall dont be atellin them goverment agents none of this because they might want my recipe for that new fangled gasoline that has alkehole in it. An if they gets my recipe there goes the middle east......Skip.....you youngins go cover up daddy's car now here.:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts