Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is to gauge interest in a product that my company is looking at producing. We are calling it a Semi-Permanent hardtop for your Sky roadsters. Why Semi-Permanent? Because of the effort involved with installing and removing it. Unfortunately, this is not a quick five minute project. But why would you choose our product over the factory removable hardtop? Since our top is a “Fastback” style of roof it is not only aesthetically pleasing it is also more aerodynamic than the factory top. Another bonus of our top is the added trunk space; with a fast back roof there is added area above the previously small trunk which effectively increases your trunk’s size. Finally, it allows access to the trunk with the Hardtop installed, I don't know how the factory hardtop is going to work yet but I can't see how they can retain access to the trunk without removing the top!

Our kit would include all of the hardware necessary for mounting the new hardtop, all you provide is basic shop tools and some time (A few good friends is probably a good idea also). The mounting would consist of removing the factory trunk lid, and disconnecting associated wiring. Next you would loosely bolt on our top, align all the gaps, and tighten all the hardware. Then connect a few wires, latch the top at the windshield and you are ready to go! Not as easy as checking the oil, but it’s not rocket science either!

Our kit can be personalized to meet your needs and your budget, anything from a just the necessities race car to a fully optioned street cruiser.

Here are your choices:
  • Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber
  • Thick or Thin skin
  • Hinged Glass or Fixed Lexan Rear Window
  • Soundproof it or go without
  • Color of Carpet, primer, or plain (Carpet is included with soundproofing)
  • Quarter windows for added visibility
  • Interior lighting (Dome and Trunk lights)
  • Color matched or Primer
We are also planning to do in house installation by request for about the same price as shipping. So if you are local, just drop your car off in the morning and pick it up that night! Or you can even stay and help if you want!

Price depends on options but here are a few examples:
Thin Fiberglass, Fixed window, no Soundproofing, no Quarter windows, and no Lights would be around $1,000
Thick Fiberglass, Hinged window, Soundproofing, Quarter windows, and Lights would be around $2,500
Thin Carbon, Hinged Window, Soundproofing, Quarter Windows, and Lights would be around $5,000

In an effort to find out exactly what style of Hardtop you want I have come up with three variations on the same theme:

Sorry about all the pics being of Solstices! I couldn't find a similar angle of the Sky that I liked, so for now I ask that you use a bit of imagination. I'll try to cook up a sky pic as soon as I can!

First is the standard fastback with a squared off termination at the rear valence. It also has quarter windows with a prominent B pillar.

Second version has a rounded termination much like what was shown on the solstice coupe concept. A rounded window like the concept could be done but at an increased cost.

Third is much like the first but with a larger, recessed rear window. The quarter windows have a “hidden” B pillar.

Forth is my personal favorite, however the added area and complexity would make it pretty much out of the question, however it's something to think about.

This is a factory inspired top which would allow access to the trunk. This is not currently being considered for production but if the fastback does well, who knows.

These two pictures were done by a fellow forum member, Stang. They show the hardtop from the side and also how the rear glass would be hinged to open allowing access to the trunk.

I would appreciate if you could spend a few minutes thinking this over and let me know what you like and dislike about our Hardtop, if you would be interested in purchasing a top kit from us in the future, and if you have any ideas for improvement. Any and all feedback is welcome. I would also like to hear any ideas you have on additional parts to personalize/upgrade your Sky!

Thank You,
–Dave Wells

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theirishgonzo said:
i like the curve on the gm sema car. i would say color mached cf or carbon cevlar and just primer paint the inside.
Do you mean the two "blisters" over the driver and passenger heads? If memory serves the Viper has a similar curve. I can make that happen if thats what you guys want.

I can do carbon kevlar hybrid in almost any color but it does cost more than regular carbon. I'm also looking into setting up for gelcoats so if you want that polished carbon fiber look we could do it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. It seems like a total pain in the ass.

just my 2 cents. I am just gonna park mine for the cold winter months...who buys a roadster then spends time and effort to eliminate the convertible top?

Even in Canada winter is not so long that I would go to that trouble. They are gonna suck in the snow anyways...probably bad enough that it would be dangerous to drive them in the winter.

Other SKY modifications though...keep posting your ideas, I am sure I'll buy something for my baby soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CarJunkie said:
As nice as these hardtops look they would be as hard getting in and out of as a fixed top on a Lotus Eilse :banghead:
No worse than getting in when you leave the top up! Your the one that bought a sports car remember??

CdnSkyGuy said:
...who buys a roadster then spends time and effort to eliminate the convertible top?
Racers! The SCCA rulebook states that you have to have the soft top out and a hard top installed. This is a more aerodynamic alternative to whatever GM is making.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey...no one here is slamming your idea. It simply is not for me. Don't take it personally.

You asked for honest opinions and I gave you one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the 3rd and 4th ones.... I would buy one of either.... The winters might not be terrible, and it might be a pain in the butt to put on or get off..... but having a hardtop for the extra sound dampening & insulation during the cold months would be nice.... Besides that it would be a personal preferance kinda thing, that alone is enough for me

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
CdnSkyGuy said:
Hey...no one here is slamming your idea. It simply is not for me. Don't take it personally.

You asked for honest opinions and I gave you one.
I completely understand that and I'm sorry if I came off as taking it personally. I was just trying to answer the question that you had asked.

btw, a second draw of this top is that you basically get two cars for the price of one and a sixth! You could drive to the local cruise in a convertible drive home and an hour or so later come back in a hardtop! I dont know why you'd want to ...but you CAN!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on the new business.
Like the concepts of 3-4.
I would seriously consider one up to $2500, but it would have to have a few things:

1) Access through the glass
2) Side windows. Otherwise side view would be a real bear! Much like the old Mazda RX7 converts, which were awful for visbility with the top up.

I think you would realisticly need to be sub $2000 to gain a lot of interest though. After all, you are talking about 10% of the price of the car. Back in the 60's and 70's people opted not to go for AC in vettes for the same reason. It cost $400-500 in a car that only cost $4-5K.

Thanks for the mock ups.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zr1Owner said:
I think you would realisticly need to be sub $2000 to gain a lot of interest though. After all, you are talking about 10% of the price of the car. Back in the 60's and 70's people opted not to go for AC in vettes for the same reason. It cost $400-500 in a car that only cost $4-5K.

Thanks for the mock ups.
Depending on how good of a deal I can get from suppliers on the materials I could get it below $2000 but all the ducks would have to line up real nice like which will be tricky. Just keep in mind that these are very rough figures and once I have a prototype made I'll know exactly what I need and I can get ou guys better figures.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
CarJunkie said:
As nice as these hardtops look they would be as hard getting in and out of as a fixed top on a Lotus Eilse :banghead:
The lines created by these hard top designs are the exact same as the current soft tope, therefore making entry & exit the same as the current cars.

·
Registered
802 Posts
May be a little too ambitious for me

It seems my thoughts are not quite as ambitious as what I have seen on the concept hardtops. I think more along the same shape as the convertible and even using the same anchor points would be more to my liking. The smaller top would be easier to handle for one person and could be stored near the garage rafters with bungie cords or a crank of some kind. I seem to like the shape of the top the way it is (not the fastback look). Price is not the limiting factor for me but it would be less expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I like #1 the most since it's very smooth and basic. I also own a Solstice so I'm not drawn to the same design concepts as Sky lovers. I like the large rear window for maximum visibility and maximum access too the trunk area.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
eldeeko said:
It seems my thoughts are not quite as ambitious as what I have seen on the concept hardtops. I think more along the same shape as the convertible and even using the same anchor points would be more to my liking. The smaller top would be easier to handle for one person and could be stored near the garage rafters with bungie cords or a crank of some kind. I seem to like the shape of the top the way it is (not the fastback look). Price is not the limiting factor for me but it would be less expensive.
One main issue of the smaller top like the SEMA Weekend Racer car is you can't access the trunk at all without removing the top completely. A design concept like this would permit trunk access along with creating a larger trunk cavity by being raised.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There are two types of hardtops that can be designed for the Kappa cars, the ones you can snap on thus blocking the trunk. And ones where you remove the trunk decklid and replace it with the new top. I prefer the former. Or I may stuff it out with the soft top who knows.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know what your company should make, and i'd buy it the day i got my car?? an automatic convirtable kit! Woot! I want it soo bad. I don't wanna go out on a date, park in a parking garage, get out, put the top up run around both sides of the car, snap in both "snap things" then get BACK into the car to latch the top!!!!! Gay Gay Gay. I hope you do this, otherwise i have to pay a lot of money to have it done custom by a shop. You would make lots of money if you make these and distrubite them to saturn dealerships so they can do it in there shops, and so we could order them with the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OMG EVEN BETTER, Make me a hard top convirtable and i'd love you. Hah thats what i want regardless of whatever else you do! Find a price for me! Hard top convirtable. Oh and it'd be so hot if u could do it in carbon fiber. I'd let u do it to my sky, i'd bring it in to ur shop no matter how far it is! PM me and i'll get you my number!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sry to keep posting, but my mom has the lexus hardtop convirtable, it's so amazing, a sky with a hard top convirtable would be sooo crazy i'd have one of the most unique Skys out. My sky is going to be - silver- blk lthr interior - rims - upgraded sound system. Itd look sooo sweet with a carbonfiber style hardtop convitrable. Ouch that'd be HOT. Let me know details - PM me

·
Registered
56 Posts
I kind of like the 3rd one and the 4th one, but more the 3rd one due to the simpler lines.

Personally, I think all of them kind of spoil the lines of the car and I wouldn't buy one, but I like the concept. I think my main issue with it is that my first thought when seeing this was "looks like a hard top Crossfire." Perhaps I'd have to see this on a Sky before I can make a better decision about any one of these.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts