Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how/what to use to remove a long fine scratch from the rear taillight plastic. Had some dirt on sponge and it ran along the taillight causing me to:banghead: I need to remove it as it pains me to see this everyday now, I have hurt my Sky and I need to seek penance...

·
Registered
692 Posts
trying to fix it may make it worse. Before trying any suggestion get a junk tail light piece from a car grave yard and try it there first.
you might try using a fine wire .06 and a clear gloss fingernail polish to "fill it". Again, don't try this on the taillight until you know it works well enough.

·
Registered
802 Posts
StarlightSky said:
trying to fix it may make it worse. Before trying any suggestion get a junk tail light piece from a car grave yard and try it there first.
you might try using a fine wire .06 and a clear gloss fingernail polish to "fill it". Again, don't try this on the taillight until you know it works well enough.
You might try a clay bar. "Jewelers rouge" is another remedy.

·
Registered
540 Posts
go to the local eye glass store and tell them you want the scratch remover for plastics. They make stuff that "repairs" scratches in eyeglasses and sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
There are several products made for removing scratches from airplane windshields. I don't recall any of the names (it's been 17 years since I owned a plane), but you can probably find something with a Google search.

I've also seen some paint shops advertising that they can polish-up plastic headlight covers that have lost their transparency.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hubby bought some stuff to take scratches out of the fairings on our motorcycles. Supposed to take scratches out of plastic. Good luck...:thumbs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, will get practice piece and see what works....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same Problem

I have the same problem. I'm not sure if it's just bad luck with dirt on the sponge,but the rear tail lights are extremely sensitive to scratching.

It's like it was made from different material than the front headlights. I used to wash my tail lights all the time in my previous cars and no problems.

And it was mentioned before that the CD/radio display is extremely sensitive to scratches. Don't even wipe this without using something ultra fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
possible fix

ranps1 said:
Does anyone know how/what to use to remove a long fine scratch from the rear taillight plastic. Had some dirt on sponge and it ran along the taillight causing me to:banghead: I need to remove it as it pains me to see this everyday now, I have hurt my Sky and I need to seek penance...
You might try a product called "RAINEX".
It's normally used to make windshields repel rainwater.
I use it on my eyeglasses and it does a wonderful job.
I believe it "fills in" minute scratches with a silicon compound.
You may have to reapply it over time, but the price is reasonable and it's available practically everywhere.:thumbs:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Believe it or not an old detailers trick is to use Mother's Chrome / Aluminum Polish, I tried it, and it took my faded tail lights to looking brand new!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts