Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the center rear view mirror that houses the Onstar etc with something simple. I dont use the Onstar. Has anyone done this and have any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
5,743 Posts
I want to replace the center rear view mirror that houses the Onstar etc with something simple. I dont use the Onstar. Has anyone done this and have any recommendations?
How simple do you want to be? You can buy a basic replacement mirror with nothing in it, no OnStar and no lights, for a few dollars at any autoparts store. You can also get a salvage mirror from a huge variety of (mostly) US-built cars from the last few decades. The boss that the mirror mounts to is common to GM and domestic-market Toyotas, and to many others, so it is a simple clip-on exchange.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is re-silvering the stock mirror possible? Thats the main reason I want to replace it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
is re-silvering the stock mirror possible? Thats the main reason I want to replace it.
Yes, it's pretty easy to re-silver it. The ones without lights are generally in much better condition.

Also, there are ways to add an autodimming mirror to the Sky. I got an lighted autodimming mirror without OnStar that I'm installing in my 2007. I'm completely removing the entire OnStar setup from the car, mirror, module, and antenna.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would remove the Onstar completely but worry about inter-connectivity with the computer and screwing something up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You need to jumper some pins on the connector that goes to the module. The module is on the CANBUS network, so if you just unplug it the car won't start as it breaks the network. That's the only thing I am aware of that causes an issue. People who race their cars remove it looking to save weird. It's not much weird, but hey, it's basically free.

I'm probably going to put a stereo amplifier in the place my OnStar module was.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I unplug the mirror and stuff the cable back into the headliner will the car still start.....no weirdness....

·
Registered
338 Posts
If I unplug the mirror and stuff the cable back into the headliner will the car still start.....no weirdness....
Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, replacing the mirror with a non-OnStar mirror or removing the mirror will not cause any weirdness. It's only if you remove the OnStar module that the weirdness starts.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or if you take a couple of Margaritas just before messing with it. Sometimes weirdness is good.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of the best coffee in he world but I like mine "Frozen, no salt"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I heard of someone using the Cobalt mirror. It fits the same and retains functionality with the autodimming.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I followed someone's forum instruction on replacing the reflective portion with one from a junker of another type of GM vehicle. It actually worked well for me. The hard part is to get one with a perfect reflective back-surface.

Replacing the entire unit to eliminate the on-star buttons seems a bit anal. Then there is the issue with interior lighting, or lack there of.

Would you then also remove the stand-up On-Star antenna in back?

Some Skys and Solstices were sold without On-Star. Maybe you could get one of those mirrors to retain your down-lighting. Also get the non-On-Star, XM radio trunk antenna.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts