Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2007 Saturn Sky Roadster
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their battery on Sky replaced at a GM Dealer? Just was wondering what the charge would be for a decent battery? Would they kno to use the hockey Pucs? Jim

· Registered
889 Posts
Never had a battery replaced at a GM dealer, did it myself. Not sure why there would be a need to lift the car or use hockey pucks, because there isn’t a need to lift the car to replace the battery. 🤔

· Registered
2008 Redline Manual, GMPP, AX car
180 Posts
Don't pay for a dealer replacement. Heck AdvanceAuto says they will replace for free, but IDK since the fender has to come off, maybe not free. But still it's only 2- 10mm bolts and maybe 8- 7mm little bolts to take the side panel off. You do not have to take off the inner frame. You should be able to get the battery out but it's a little tricky with a full size battery to get the top posts past it. Get an AGM battery not a water based battery, no worries of spillage, but they are a little more costly. I think Optima's are around $230.

· Registered
597 Posts
Don't pay for a dealer replacement. Heck AdvanceAuto says they will replace for free, but IDK since the fender has to come off, maybe not free. But still it's only 2- 10mm bolts and maybe 8- 7mm little bolts to take the side panel off. You do not have to take off the inner frame. You should be able to get the battery out but it's a little tricky with a full size battery to get the top posts past it. Get an AGM battery not a water based battery, no worries of spillage, but they are a little more costly. I think Optima's are around $230.
Advance won’t touch it. They don’t do anything other than a simple cable swap, and you might not get that. You can change it out-not that big a deal.
Don’t waste your money at one of the big three. When I replaced the battery in my first Sky, I got a Duracell from Sam’s Club for $119 with the same warranty. “Die Hard” means nothing-all they did was buy the name and swap stickers.

· Registered
20,820 Posts
Never had a battery replaced at a GM dealer, did it myself. Not sure why there would be a need to lift the car or use hockey pucks, because there isn’t a need to lift the car to replace the battery. 🤔
To answer your question on how much is labor for GM to replace your battery....figure 200 dollars and that does not include the cost of the battery. Bill is correct....no lift needed.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
I was purchasing four new tires and the two at my local Chevrolet dealer. They charge me $150 to put a new AC Delco battery in (my original battery lasted almost 11 years). A couple of fasteners and screws to open up the wheel liner (since the tire was off already, and they slid the battery right out and slid the new one in no extra charges.

· Administrator
8,910 Posts
IIRC there was a youtube video showing an alternate way to replace the battery via the wheel fender liner therefore negating the need to remove the fender panel. Aligning it back can be a pain.
That is the method referenced by @SaturnSkyDude in the post previous to yours. That method requires removal of the wheel, and therefore lifting of the car, or at least one corner.

Fender alignment seems to be more difficult for the Solstice than for the Sky. I remove the fender and have never had an issue with realignment.

· Registered
597 Posts
I’m average(actually I’ve been referred to with terms that would suggest lower)….and old…..and I don’t see worth a damn up close…….and I did it
the bolt through the door is no more difficult than any of the others

· Registered
17 Posts
I just did my 2008 in my garage. No need to lift the car at all. If you want to get it a bit higher for easer access just drive up on some ramps. The fender is super easy to remove and you don't have to remove the metal brace to get the battery out and back in. Took me about 20 minutes. Search YouTube for a tutorial.

· Administrator
8,910 Posts
I just did my 2008 in my garage. No need to lift the car at all. If you want to get it a bit higher for easer access just drive up on some ramps. The fender is super easy to remove and you don't have to remove the metal brace to get the battery out and back in. Took me about 20 minutes. Search YouTube for a tutorial.
The need to lift the car is based on the second method of battery exchange that requires removal of a wheel but avoids removal of the fender. It seems to be more popular with Solstice owners because of the reported greater difficulty of aligning the Solstice fender compared to the Sky.

· Registered
105 Posts
When replacing the battery is it necessary to use one of those 9volt battery electrical system maintainers? I’ve read that de-energizing the system can mess up the keys and of course the radio. Is it true?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts