Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a few pictures while replacing my spark plugs. If you wanted a short "story," I have one for you.
Why did I replace them? The Sky has 72,000 miles, and I just took ownership of it.
My goal is to maintenance the crap out of it, as I have no idea what the 2 previous owners have done to it, outside of a few receipts.

1) Open hood, pull off plastic engine cover.
[ OP forgot to take pic ]

2) Disconnect coil pack and VVT solenoid cables.

3) Remove oil fill cap, and then thermal insulator (re-place oil fill cap immediately after).

4) Clean immediate area surrounding coil packs.

5) Make sure new spark plugs are gaped to spec (.35 on LNF) (I used the circular disk plug gaper).

6) Remove first coil pack screw and coil pack ( a good solid tug may be needed).

7) Remove first spark plug using spark plug socket (long 5/8 for LNF).

8) Compare spark plugs to each other to make sure AutoZone didn't give you the wrong spark plugs.

9) Drive to AutoZone and get the correct spark plugs.
[ OP was too frustrated to take pic ]

10) Compare new plugs to old plugs.

11) Once again check to make sure plug gap is to spec.

12) Remove coil pack and spark plug, then install new spark plug and coil pack one at a time, in order to decrease the amount of time a cylinder remains open to the outside world. When installing a spark plug (and any other screw/bolt), be sure to turn the screw the opposite direction of in (often coutner-clockwise) until you feel/hear a click. This will ensure you do not cross thread the bolt/spark plug.

13) Re-place thermal insulator, then coil pack and VVT solenoid plugs.

14) Re-place plastic cover, close hood, and then start car up.

15) Vroom.

Notes: This was incredibly easy, and surprisingly cheap (NGK Iridiums were around $40 total). It was a great way to get to know the engine bay. I swear I feel a difference in engine behavior (feels smoother), but I could entirely be imagining it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the visual write up. Did you use a torque wrench to tighten, and is it recommended to use anti-seize compound on the threads?

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the visual write up. Did you use a torque wrench to tighten, and is it recommended to use anti-seize compound on the threads?
I did not use a torque wrench, but they are recommended in most things I read.
NGK specifically recommends not using anti-seize compound, due to a special coating they use.
Other manufacturers might need the compound.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
I did not use a torque wrench, but they are recommended in most things I read.
NGK specifically recommends not using anti-seize compound, due to a special coating they use.
Other manufacturers might need the compound.
You need a torque wrench.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I gapped mine to .032 My car was breaking up at full throttle and throwing a p0300 and p0302 (misfire) code with cel. Plugs fixed it right up. Burped the cooling system and now it's running cooler, but I might need to some more. I drive 26 miles one way to work. I noticed it gets hot right at the top of the hill at Mulholland drive. The valley air is much hotter than the sea breeze on the west side. I just turn off my A/C and cruise down Mullholland for a bit and it drops to 210 or so and stays there the rest of the way. I think I'm going to buy some check valves. Maybe that'll end it altogether.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You forgot one step.... If you can't break the plugs loose, start the engine and leave it run for 1 minute. This will help loosen the plug. Oh...and make sure to not cross-thread the plugs when re-installing...that's bad!!! LOL.... Thanks for doing this!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You forgot one step.... If you can't break the plugs loose, start the engine and leave it run for 1 minute. This will help loosen the plug. Oh...and make sure to not cross-thread the plugs when re-installing...that's bad!!! LOL.... Thanks for doing this!
I definitely counter sunk them before tightening them. Best way to ensure no cross thread. Will add!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gapped mine to .032 My car was breaking up at full throttle and throwing a p0300 and p0302 (misfire) code with cel. Plugs fixed it right up. Burped the cooling system and now it's running cooler, but I might need to some more. I drive 26 miles one way to work. I noticed it gets hot right at the top of the hill at Mulholland drive. The valley air is much hotter than the sea breeze on the west side. I just turn off my A/C and cruise down Mullholland for a bit and it drops to 210 or so and stays there the rest of the way. I think I'm going to buy some check valves. Maybe that'll end it altogether.
After this brutal summer in AZ, I've learned one of my first actual upgrades will need to be the cooling system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts