Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought the Sky this May, I have wondered what if I swapped the top from tan to black. My current top is in OK condition. It's got some minor sun fading at the ribs, a very small scratch above the passenger door, and the PO I suspect liked high pressure car washes as all of the trim stitching had come undone. I knew all of this when I bought it and had figured I would be replacing the top sooner or later when the time was right. Rather than having the edges flap in the wind I went ahead and stitched up all the trim with wax thread using a leather awl and it turned out better than I had expected. However, by no means am I a professional seamstress and that shows.

So luck would have it, this weekend I was able to pick up a very cheap black top assembly from a Solstice off of marketplace to try it out. If it fails, I'm only out a small sum and my time. It was pretty dirty, but it had the headliner and all of the pieces were there. The back window is separating from the top a couple of inches, the velcro on the buttresses is bleached and missing most of the teeth, and the plastic in the seam above the window had cracked lengthwise along the staple line. So I scrubbed it down and removed about a pound of cat hair. It took my pressure washer to remove most of the soiling, but some still remains as well as a random spot. I ordered some 3m gasket adhesive to fix the rear window and I attempted to fix the back top seam by separating the cover from the frame and epoxying an aluminum strip to the inner plastic.

I swapped out the two top assemblies this morning, it took about 2 hours total and most of that was trying to figure out what went where. Now that the black top is on, I definitely think this was the right color combination. IMHO the black top matched with the bluestone, is a much better exterior color contrast than the tan and bluestone. I also think the tan/black interior still looks very appropriate and actually a little more sporty with this new color scheme. It really should of been a factory option. The tan on tan is just too matchy matchy. Just think if the red/black interiors had a red top too.

So now the bad news, latching the top was difficult. It appears the canvas had tightened up for however long it had been sitting and folded. I went ahead and parked it in the sun today to relax the material. Which I figured should be pretty quick as we hit 107 today. It started to relax, but obviously I chose the wrong epoxy as my "fix" failed about an hour in the sun and now the back piece is flipped up like a spoiler. So I will need to rethink that fix. If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears. Considering that was a set back, I then tried out the Forever Black Convertible Top Restore kit. Price was good at just over $15 on Amazon and I've used their other products before when I had my Jeep and was pleased. Reviews are mixed on this product, and it's technically designed for vinyl tops. It can be used on canvas materials, but needs to be reduced to 4 parts dye to 1 part water for the porosity. It applied easy and seems like it would work well for those looking to bring back that luster, but after the first coat I can still see the stains that the pressure washer couldn't remove. There are probably other products out there, but it was cheap and had prime shipping.

So with everything considered, I'm definitely going to stay with the black and I think I'll keep experimenting on this one until I can find a deal on a better one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Your situation is very familiar to me, but I dealt with it this year in a different way. CLICKING HERE will take you to many pictures of my original convertible top and it's condition. It will be obvious what I resorted to.

If you wonder, I never attempted to repair or restore the top, so I cannot offer any advise on what didn't work or looked promising. I gave up before trying any repair. Buying a good replacement top assembly was to right solution for me, and I have to say "Thank You" again to Hoosier GXP for selling an exceptional Plan-B top assembly to me at a price I could manage.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your situation is very familiar to me, but I dealt with it this year in a different way. CLICKING HERE will take you to many pictures of my original convertible top and it's condition. It will be obvious what I resorted to.

If you wonder, I never attempted to repair or restore the top, so I cannot offer any advise on what didn't work or looked promising. I gave up before trying any repair. Buying a good replacement top assembly was to right solution for me, and I have to say "Thank You" again to Hoosier GXP for selling an exceptional Plan-B top assembly to me at a price I could manage.
My problem is that I'm too much of a perfectionist and I have a weakness for taking on projects. My Sky is in great shape, but has a few cosmetic issues I would like to get cleaned up. My tan top worked absolutely just fine and is in really great condition other than what I noted earlier. I'm sure others would be very happy to have it, but I seem to not be able to leave well enough alone. I've been looking at replacement tops since I bought it and I see that @Hoosier GXP has a few tops advertised on his facebook account so I may ultimately go that route. (Too bad I'm 1200 miles away) But before I did, I wanted to confirm I would like the black top before I committed a larger sum of money. I paid a $100 for this "test top" and I think that was a fair price for what I got. Of course if I can do some fixes and have a decent top and save some bucks that would be a win win.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I am looking for a Tan top for my Ming Blue RL. Are you going to get rid of yours? My black top is in fair condition except for some stains and the velcro on the buttresses so it is still serviceable, but I think I would rather have the Tan for the looks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking for a Tan top for my Ming Blue RL. Are you going to get rid of yours? My black top is in fair condition except for some stains and the velcro on the buttresses so it is still serviceable, but I think I would rather have the Tan for the looks.
Ming blue with tan top was always my favorite! That's what my dad's 2007 N/A was and I loved it. I just think the bluestone is too light of a color with the tan. I have no need for my tan after I convert to black. Interested in a trade? I think we are only a few hours from each other.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here’s some pics of the tan top. You can see my quality stitching. Actually with the top off I could probably restitch with better results.
7DBB9596-3092-42AA-8FBA-42FADAD103D9.jpeg
A78E645A-C0EC-46F8-9749-B2D95E20FEB1.jpeg
236A2848-5929-4715-91F4-3092F5295F33.jpeg
8D212FEA-171D-48C6-A5D9-9C524E42DFB7.jpeg

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes, we are only about 3 hours away. Sure, lets talk. Not sure how we do a private conversation on this new format.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
Yes, we are only about 3 hours away. Sure, lets talk. Not sure how we do a private conversation on this new format.
Click on your icon at the top right of the page.
Click on "Conversations"
Click the "Start Conversation" button at the top right
In the "Recipients" box start typing his forum name, then click on the correct one when the list pops up
Add a subject
Type the message
Click "Start Conversation" at the bottom

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thanks John

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone is looking for a brand new OEM replacement convertible top cover in black here is one I am selling. It is the Plan B top which most cars have that were produced around the end of 2006 and later.

Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice Convertible Top Black Plan B
I am actually watching that listing. It's tempting, but the wife might flip if I drop a grand. Now $500 bucks I could probably get away with {wink wink, nudge nudge}

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am actually watching that listing. It's tempting, but the wife might flip if I drop a grand. Now $500 bucks I could probably get away with {wink wink, nudge nudge}
(SOLD) I am firm on the price ($999.00 + shipping) because it is the lowest price for a brand new OEM convertible top cover (GM 19152957) that I could find.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am firm on the price because it is the lowest price for a brand new OEM convertible top cover (GM 19152957) that I could find.
That seems to be inline with the online GM warehouses. I was just messing with you, unless your going to do it ;). Keep in mind though that if you sell here vs ebay you save the fee they charge. Not going to lie super tempted

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I reached out to @Hoosier GXP about one of his tops, but shipping was most likely going to be tremendous to Texas. Being a top notch guy, he sent me a link to look for parts locally through salvage yards as an alternative. So I found and purchased another black top assembly through LKQ grade A0. It's off of a wrecked 30k mile Redline out of Houston (sorry if this was your baby, but it's parts will live on). LKQ will ship to my local location Tuesday that way I can save the 6 hour round trip, so I haven't had a chance to see it in person yet. It wasn't cheap, but was cheaper than buying new. So now I will have two extra tops in my garage. Any interest for either of these from the forum members? Shipping will most likely be high via LTL, local pickup would be preferred unless you want to really pay for shipping. (Edited)I'm asking $400 (Sold)for the tan and $100 (sold)for the black (same as I picked it up for).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far my experience dealing with LKQ has been mixed. The top assembly was ordered a week ago today (Thursday). At the time I was quoted, it would be Tuesday to arrive at my area's LKQ location from Houston. Tuesday afternoon I called to follow up on the status. I was told it would now be Wednesday and they would call when it arrived. Wednesday morning I received a call that my order had been lost and they were working on locating it and that they would get back with me in a couple of hours whether they could locate it or not. Finally Wednesday afternoon, I was contacted that the unit was there and ready for pickup, but I had only an hour before they closed; I'm about a half hour away so I was able to make it in time. The top was strapped strapped to a pallet in the closed position and appeared cosmetically to be in great condition as advertised.

After I got home I went about installing the new assembly, everything appeared to be in order until I noticed that frame was bowed out when I raised the top. It looks like something heavy was most likely placed on the top and resulted in the squatted distortion as the damage from the donor vehicle was to the lower driver side door and I don't see how that would of affected the geometry of the top. I was definitely disappointed and frustrated. Regardless, I returned the assembly this morning with no issues and they were able to locate another assembly with the "A0" undamaged code from another low mileage donor vehicle out of Dallas. It was actually priced higher, but they did an even exchange for the troubles. Hopefully, (fingers crossed) this assembly arrives in advertised condition. With all things considered I have been pretty impressed with LKQ's customer service and it's definitely not the pick n pull junkyard's I dug through as a kid with my Dad.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
So, as a matter of some interest, how much did they charge?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I paid $650 through LKQ plus tax, delivery was free, 30 day returns and 6 month warranty. I found some salvage yards cheaper, by half for some, but nothing local. My biggest frustration in the whole deal is not seeing the part first, as I have my assumptions their "delivery" between locations may be the weak link where other wise perfect tops get damaged.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts