Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sky is supposed to arrive by the end of the month and I'm excited, but my dealer has given me some interesting information. I've been told that there are two warranties that I am required to purchase. One is an appearance warranty, covering scrapes, dings, and tires. The other is an interior warranty covering.....something I suppose.

I own a Saturn now and the appearanace package I bought from them was supposed to cover dings and scratches, but the first time I brought it into the dealership they told me that it only covered bubbling, cracking, and other manufacturer defects, which to me should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. So I'm a little skeptical about this required warranty coverage. is the dealership trying to make money off me, or is this something GM is doing to keep their show cars looking good?

BTW, excited as heck about my car and so freaking glad that someone cancelled their order just so I could get mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I never thought warranies were mandatory....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
A warranty is an option and not a required purchase. You can tell him no thanks. :nono: I'll buy an aftermarket one if I so desire later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Graysky said:
A warranty is an option and not a required purchase. You can tell him no thanks. :nono: I'll buy an aftermarket one if I so desire later.
:agree: :agree: :agree:


This is not required. Dealer is trying to up the price.

But one way possibly around it say yes , pay for it with financing then cancel it after you get your car and there is nothing they can do about it I THINK. Just a thought. I know the Pontiac warranty can be cxl with in 60 days with not penalty. However they money will get sent to the finance company so your payments would stay the same nut you will pay off your car that much sooner.

Just a thought one of the dealers would know more about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmph. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get my Sky and not get the warranties. In Texas, from what I understand, they can't require you to purchase a warranty, but they can give discounts if one is purchased, so I might have to pay more if I don't buy the warranty. :banghead: :mad:

I think that the warranty I was told is required is actually rolled into what Saturn calls the appearance package, which includes some chrome and a couple other upgrades, plus a warranty. My guess is that they might bypass Texas law by rolling upgrades and a warranty into one package. Since the items are already on the car, I have no say about it.

Since I put money down on the car, all I've gotten is bad news. Higher price tag than I wanted, must purchase warranties, "Oh, we forgot TTL", your trade-in will be undervalued here, and all that. I'm beginning to wonder if the sales manager wants the car for himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
deluke said:
:agree: :agree: :agree:


This is not required. Dealer is trying to up the price.

But one way possibly around it say yes , pay for it with financing then cancel it after you get your car and there is nothing they can do about it I THINK. Just a thought. I know the Pontiac warranty can be cxl with in 60 days with not penalty. However they money will get sent to the finance company so your payments would stay the same nut you will pay off your car that much sooner.

Just a thought one of the dealers would know more about this.
:agree: :agree:

Interesting idea. However, there is a HUGE "yahbut" here. Soiuxie needs to see who the aftermarket product is supplied by and then call them to see if 1) he can cancel the package, and 2) the money goes to the finance company. Many aftermarket "protection" packages are sold to dealership in bulk, dispensed car by car. The huge profit goes to the dealership and the DEALERSHIP has to refund the money!! The other issue is that some of what he has listed is "things" that will be installed on the car. Another dealer abusing the supply/demand imbalance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
Siouxsie said:
Hmmmph. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get my Sky and not get the warranties. In Texas, from what I understand, they can't require you to purchase a warranty, but they can give discounts if one is purchased, so I might have to pay more if I don't buy the warranty. :banghead: :mad:

I think that the warranty I was told is required is actually rolled into what Saturn calls the appearance package, which includes some chrome and a couple other upgrades, plus a warranty. My guess is that they might bypass Texas law by rolling upgrades and a warranty into one package. Since the items are already on the car, I have no say about it.

Since I put money down on the car, all I've gotten is bad news. Higher price tag than I wanted, must purchase warranties, "Oh, we forgot TTL", your trade-in will be undervalued here, and all that. I'm beginning to wonder if the sales manager wants the car for himself.
1) Do you have a signed contract for an ordered car of your own or has the dealer to sell you you a cancelled order? It could make a difference. If you have a contract, it is binding per the terms of the pre-printed items and what was written on the contract.
2) Is the price higher because the cancelled car is more heavily optioned? If so, the dealership is on solid ground on that.
3) Saturn does not (as far as I know) offer an appearance package. It is your dealership doing that.
4) Tax, title, and tag fees are always ADDED to the "delivered" price of a car.
5) Now, the trade in. If you do not want to sell it yourself, and it is a late model car, clean it up REALLY well and take it to a CarMax (if they are in your area) and offer to sell it to them. My son in law has done this twice and I am amazed at what he got both times. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the used car lot, and dealerships really do make a very handsome profit on used cars. They REALLY do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
snaponbob said:
:agree: :agree:

Interesting idea. However, there is a HUGE "yahbut" here. Soiuxie needs to see who the aftermarket product is supplied by and then call them to see if 1) he can cancel the package, and 2) the money goes to the finance company. Many aftermarket "protection" packages are sold to dealership in bulk, dispensed car by car. The huge profit goes to the dealership and the DEALERSHIP has to refund the money!! The other issue is that some of what he has listed is "things" that will be installed on the car. Another dealer abusing the supply/demand imbalance.
I'm talking GM warranty or Saturn Warranty. But any warranty info should be given to him when he gets the car. We just did this with a friends Toyota. And brentil cxl his on his Solstice.

By trading in his car in alot states you get the Sales Tax trade advantage. I could of sold my Mysterious out right but would have to get like 28400.00 for it but my dealer is giving me 26600.00 3 hundred more that I paid without sales tax. he promised me 26200.00 ( What I paid without salestax ) for the car and all the add ons. My dealer put it up for sale on the floor and giving me what they get if over the 26200.00. Someone is coming in Saturday and paying 26600.00 so I made out with an extra 400.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dallas. I've spoken to several dealerships here and they all seem to have this appearance package.

In an interesting turn of events, that is stressing me to high heaven, when I put money down the dealership said that my car would be here near the end of the month. I've been planning on selling my current car myself for a little extra cash down. They just called me and told me that it's in now, and I need to pick it up in 5 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
the Dallas area stores are owned by two different Retailers. If you spoke with multiple stores owned by the same retailer that might be their policy.
There are no "required" warranties by Saturn or any other manufacturer. If the store applies certain products to the interior and exterior of the car with included warranties,they can adjust the price of the vehicle accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I also recently put down a deposit with one of the dealers in the Dallas metroplex, and was also told that the two warranties were required.

Is the Sky that is now available Black/Tan by chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
MidSummerNightsDream said:
I also recently put down a deposit with one of the dealers in the Dallas metroplex, and was also told that the two warranties were required.

Is the Sky that is now available Black/Tan by chance?
If I were you guy's I would call around even if you have to travel a bit to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MidSummerNightsDream said:
I also recently put down a deposit with one of the dealers in the Dallas metroplex, and was also told that the two warranties were required.

Is the Sky that is now available Black/Tan by chance?
Nope, pure black, hence the name of my car, the same name I'm using for my avatar. Picking her up tomorrow! I'm purchasing at Mesquite btw. Made calls three or four times a day for a week to all the local dealers and got lucky enough to find an abandoned order!

deluke said:
If I were you guy's I would call around even if you have to travel a bit to get it.
I would, but I feel amazingly lucky to be getting this one, and considering that I'm not paying more than 2k over MSRP, I'm relatively happy despite. I'll see about cancelling the warranties, but I believe that they are dealership specific because another dealership had never heard of the warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Enjoy your new Sky!

Siouxsie said:
Nope, pure black, hence the name of my car, the same name I'm using for my avatar. Picking her up tomorrow! I'm purchasing at Mesquite btw. Made calls three or four times a day for a week to all the local dealers and got lucky enough to find an abandoned order!


I would, but I feel amazingly lucky to be getting this one, and considering that I'm not paying more than 2k over MSRP, I'm relatively happy despite. I'll see about cancelling the warranties, but I believe that they are dealership specific because another dealership had never heard of the warranty.
I was contacted from this dealership that the black Sky would be coming in. I was told it would arrive in about 3 weeks just last week.. I guess they got her here earlier.. I like the Midnight Blue with the Tan, so I'm holding out to get her the way I want her. Post pics soon and enjoy... We need the rain, but too bad it's raining today of all days!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Siouxsie said:
My Sky is supposed to arrive by the end of the month and I'm excited, but my dealer has given me some interesting information. I've been told that there are two warranties that I am required to purchase. One is an appearance warranty, covering scrapes, dings, and tires. The other is an interior warranty covering.....something I suppose.

I own a Saturn now and the appearanace package I bought from them was supposed to cover dings and scratches, but the first time I brought it into the dealership they told me that it only covered bubbling, cracking, and other manufacturer defects, which to me should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. So I'm a little skeptical about this required warranty coverage. is the dealership trying to make money off me, or is this something GM is doing to keep their show cars looking good?

BTW, excited as heck about my car and so freaking glad that someone cancelled their order just so I could get mine.
I would cancel my order with that dealer also. The dealership is more than trying to make money off or you. Your being had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Siouxsie said:
Nope, pure black, hence the name of my car, the same name I'm using for my avatar. Picking her up tomorrow! I'm purchasing at Mesquite btw. Made calls three or four times a day for a week to all the local dealers and got lucky enough to find an abandoned order!


I would, but I feel amazingly lucky to be getting this one, and considering that I'm not paying more than 2k over MSRP, I'm relatively happy despite. I'll see about cancelling the warranties, but I believe that they are dealership specific because another dealership had never heard of the warranty.
I saw from another one of your postings that you picked up the car. I'd like to know how you made out at the dealer in respect to the "required warranties" Can you send me a private PM and give me an update. Thanks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Warranties can be good if its from the Auto Maker. After market warranties are only for those who like to throw money away.
I do not plan to get the warranty on this car. At least not for the first 3/36 miles that it comes with when you buy it. I may change my mind in the first 12 months, but I know that this car is not going to get more then 5k a year put on it. I figure it would be foolish to buy a warranty when I put so few miles on the car.
I really hope that I am not forced into a room and told I need a warranty. I think they would find me a bit peeved. Its my money. I take a risk when I do not buy the warranty for my HD TV. I have had it since 97. Works as good as the day I bought it.
I think most of us are experienced enough on buying a car that we do not feel pressured when going to sign the papers. I have had to get up and leave on one occassion at a Ford dealership. They wanted me to do a lease instead of buying the truck. After 30 minutes of debate I finally just got up and walked out. Went over to Jeep and bought a SUV there.
I know that I can't just walk away from this car, but I sure can walk to another dealership. Or put in some calls to GM to ask about the dealerships policies. I would do it right on the showroom floor. Not in a loud way. Just to make a statement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
hersheytx said:
Warranties can be good if its from the Auto Maker. After market warranties are only for those who like to throw money away.
I do not plan to get the warranty on this car. At least not for the first 3/36 miles that it comes with when you buy it. I may change my mind in the first 12 months, but I know that this car is not going to get more then 5k a year put on it. I figure it would be foolish to buy a warranty when I put so few miles on the car.
I really hope that I am not forced into a room and told I need a warranty. I think they would find me a bit peeved. Its my money. I take a risk when I do not buy the warranty for my HD TV. I have had it since 97. Works as good as the day I bought it.
I think most of us are experienced enough on buying a car that we do not feel pressured when going to sign the papers. I have had to get up and leave on one occassion at a Ford dealership. They wanted me to do a lease instead of buying the truck. After 30 minutes of debate I finally just got up and walked out. Went over to Jeep and bought a SUV there.
I know that I can't just walk away from this car, but I sure can walk to another dealership. Or put in some calls to GM to ask about the dealerships policies. I would do it right on the showroom floor. Not in a loud way. Just to make a statement.
:cheers: I agree. Most manufacturing issues should appear and get corrected within the original manufacturers warranty. Spend the saved money for gas.. :driving: :thumbs:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top