Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Wow, thats incredible :(

I ran a mock private sale on kbb.com got over $11,000 for a 2009 edition, but for 2007-2008 model year (33,000 miles, excellent condition, stick shift etc) I was only scoring between $8,000 and $8,300 for private party sale. What year is yours, and what transmission?

Seeing a beautiful example like this, estimated for such a low price, doesnt make me want to part with it at a give away price :(

You can hopefully find higher value examples going on eBay, Craiglist, motorsales sites.

Sorry to hear this Dusty. Its ridiculous. Hope you avoid selling though, if possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow, thats incredible :(

I ran a mock private sale on kbb.com got over $11,000 for a 2009 edition, but for 2007-2008 model year (33,000 miles, excellent condition, stick shift etc) I was only scoring between $8,000 and $8,300 for private party sale. What year is yours, and what transmission?

Seeing a beautiful example like this, estimated for such a low price, doesnt make me want to part with it at a give away price :(

You can hopefully find higher value examples going on eBay, Craiglist, motorsales sites.

Sorry to hear this Dusty. Its ridiculous. Hope you avoid selling though, if possible.
2008, auto,Monsoon sound,spoiler, chrome wheels

I looked a NADA

Rough
Trade-In Average
Trade-In Clean
Trade-In Clean
Retail
Base Price $5,450 $6,475 $7,300 $9,800
Mileage (33,000) $3,650 $3,650 $3,650 $3,650
Total Base Price $9,100 $10,125 $10,950 $13,450
Options: (change)
Automatic Trans. $300 $300 $300 $350
Leather Seats $250 $250 $250 $300
Monsoon Sound System $175 $175 $175 $200
Price with Options $9,825 $10,850 $11,675 Clean retail $14,300

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
KBB tends to price mainly based on a formula. NADA uses more actual sales data.

While I don't consider the Kappas collector cars, they also aren't mainstream production cars, so the standard formula doesn't apply very well.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
To build on John's erudite comment, the low production numbers also impact the accuracy of using a generalized tool or data base that is built for production numbers much higher than the Kappa.

If you are looking to maximize your sale value, wait till spring and start higher and work your way down. Trying to get value for a sports car designed to be enjoyed in nice weather in winter can be very challenging.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Kelly Blue book says my 33000 mile pristine RED Line is only worth $8500.00?!

:surprise:
Why does the value in some book matter? It is nothing more than an opinion. As others have stated its hard to come up with a number.

Ultimately if your thinking of selling your car, the price you get will be more based on what value you put on owning the car vs what else you could do with the cash. And if you can find someone who would rather have that car than the cash. You see transaction prices for these cars all over the place, and what someone thinks of as a good deal, others might say they got ripped off.

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
Pretty much what Davhamm said.

Though I will add that it seems Kappa owners have a reputation for believing our cars are worth more than the rest of the automotive public does. I don't think that's true as our cars are very unique in the automotive market right now. Limited build, generally still stylish, a niche vehicle, and if someone wants one, they tend to really want one and thus drive the market price up.

Not every 1966 vehicle is worth $40-$50K but those Mustang Fastback owners still have no issue pulling in that kind of money for a really nice one. It's all about what the market will bear.

All of you who are concerned about the future value of your car though...I'm driving my and enjoying the hell out of it every day and modding it to the hilt which means it won't be one of these pristine show pieces thus making your cars that much rarer, desirable...and thus more valuable.

So, yea, you're welcome. :D That's Robo, taking another hit for the team. Oh the things I do for you people. LOL

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Why does the value in some book matter? It is nothing more than an opinion. As others have stated its hard to come up with a number.
That's true, but if you are trying to sell your car, it can be hard to justify a $15000 price tag to a buyer if an "accepted authority" says it is only worth $8500.

It means that as a seller, your bargaining position is already compromised, and if you are trading it in at a dealership, the Kelley price certainly matters.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
That's true, but if you are trying to sell your car, it can be hard to justify a $15000 price tag to a buyer if an "accepted authority" says it is only worth $8500.

It means that as a seller, your bargaining position is already compromised, and if you are trading it in at a dealership, the Kelley price certainly matters.
Nope its just a number in a book, and as many others have said other books have other numbers.

All that matters is how badly do you want cash, and how badly do you want to keep the car. Then finding someone who wants the car for that cash.

Lots of buyers never look at KBB. As for dealers, well your going for a quick sale and saying you value time over money, your never gonna get max money that way. I bought mine from a dealer, cause i knew they would just look up in KBB or some dumb book, and not know they had one of the rarest colors, most individuals know it and add to much $$ to the value (in my opinion) Point being who is right the dealer selling for $15k or the ind asking $25K? BOTH. the dealer wants to move the car it cost him money every day it sits there, the ind see's more value in it and doesn't car about the daily cost, its worth it to them to wait. Both will probably find buyers.

I just bought a used laptop seller was asking $650, looking around seemed like a reasonable price, similar ones with less memory smaller HD no SSD were selling in the $580 range. But I really wanted to keep under $550. So i made him an offer of 533 figuring he would counter, nope he accepted. Not sure there is a KBB for used laptops, but what value would it say it was worth??? Funny thing I still feel like I spent to much, since they accepted my first offer and did not counter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Check out this thread for what sellers are asking for SKYs that have 20,000 miles or less; http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f39/f-s-low-mileage-sky-s-74593/index6.html. As you will see, KBB & NADA values don't seem to apply to the asking prices. BTW, it isn't just owners pricing their cars higher, but dealers as well.

If your car is mechanically sound and the body in good to excellent shape, and I read you were asking $8,500 and it has 33,000 miles, I would consider that an excellent buy. At $10,500 I'd say a good buy, and at $12,500 an average buy, and at $14,500 you probably should also consider giving the buyer a can of Crisco.

So on the one hand while I believe that a seller should pay attention to KBB & NADA value guides (because buyers will be), they should also be aware of what the asking prices are for similar cars in their area, and nationwide since a car ad can be read from anywhere now-a-days.

A couple of other things also come to mind when trying to get top dollar, marketing and salesmanship. The car should always be clean, clean, clean, all mechanical issues addressed, displayed in a safe location to attract maximum exposure, and be polite and professional as possible to everyone that indicates interest. That includes tire kickers because it's a given that might as well be accepted, and Kappa's are the type of car that will attract dreamers (and who among us hasn't lusted after a car we want but can't financial swing). But when it comes to giving rides that should be reserved for serious parties only. Even if a couple was to show up, I'd remain w/the car at all times, and offer to give them separate rides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts